Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish list

JimmiJo

If it's a coach with "star power," like Gruden, one who Snyder really wants, that's about the best people can hope for IMO.

Look, Snyder is a born Redskins fans, and has devoted a lot of cash to the franchise. He's not going to sell the team while it's making profit, and he's likely not going to take himself completely out of the decision making process. Therefor, a true GM will not be seen here. However, just like with Gibbs, Snyder has shown he will allow certain head coaches more power (Gibbs was team President) and more say (most team moves under Gibbs were Gibbs moves).

So, what you then can realistically hope for is a coach who Snyder admires greatly, as that will give the coach enough sway to have things run his way.

Now I personally don't have issue with Cerrato's eye for talent. We have gotten good players overall in the drafts IMO. What I have an issue with is the correct usage of the BPA philosophy. It has led them to devalue other positions, which has led to us not addressing OL much in the draft. With a coach like Gruden who has more sway than the little Zorn apparently does, the OL does get addressed.

In other words, we need someone else in charge with the proper know-how and direction. The current guys haven't established it well enough, and since Snyder isn't going anywhere, and likely Cerrato isn;t either, it means a head coach with enough sway to provide his own direction, and it's a good one, and I think this team is back on track.

Of course if we could get some OL in now I believe the current team could do well.

I agree. We can't use the OL excuse anymore. Yeah, the OL didn't play great yesterday, but a good QB knows how to over come that. Campbell needs to step up. I've heard all the excuses. I've been in his corner. But a lot of times when pressured, he freezes. Its almost like Patrick Ramsey all over again.

and I'm tired of people hearing facts, throw out the old

"I'm tired of hearing all the excuses"

Hard for JC to go down field WHEN THERE WERE NO RECEIVERS GOING DOWN FIELD

listen to Zorn, listen to Moss getting frustrated about the lack of deep passes, see Cooley stay in to block, see one of the few times the Skins went deep, Thomas dropped the ball

the difference with Rodgers is the playcalling. Plays are called to roll Rodgers out, deep passes are being called.... and Rodgers is getting hammered and might not make a full season

I dunno if its over, but it won't be easy. It would be nice to bring in real GM

What would be nice is to establish a winning environment at Redskins Park

Joe Gibbs knew how to, but these 2 imbeciles managed to constantly have drama over Gibbs' 4 years

The past 21 months are an indication of how terrible the atmosphere is there

A highly volatile guy like Gruden with those 2 idiots at the top?

:doh:

I agree with you

If Snyder and Cerratro are still the major players making decisions on the team in 2010 and beyond, this team may win 10 games in a season on occasion.

And thats about it.

Its not just a play acquistion deal though. Its a culture deal. And those 2 have no clue how to create a winning culture at Redskins Park

And LOL I'll join you in those 5 prayers a day hoping for Dan's financial ruin!

I almost never do the morning prayer but I will to send some bad mojo his way.

Yah, our Oline could use some attention, no denying that.

However, we're not the first team that has happened to. And our current QB is making a mediocre to bad Oline look absolutely terrible.

See Packers, Green Bay. Their line is worse than ours. Their running back is about the same I guess.

However, they're one of the most explosive offenses in the league, even when they give up 4-5 sacks a game. Care to guess why? (it ain't the WR's) :)

This should be brought up until the QB situation is changed.

Jim Zorn was never a Redskin!! He came in here ignorantly comparing the Redskins cowboys rivalry to the seahawks and raiders. When did they ever have a rivalry? LOL :doh:

He told the media EVERYTHING about his team

And fails to have an identity on offense or defense. There is nothing heir apparent to Gibbs in Jim Zorn!

I'm saying that Zorn is a failure, what is your issue?

I want someone who is new to head coaching. Gibbs is a Redskin, not a Charger. See what I'm getting at?

What would be nice is to establish a winning environment at Redskins Park

Joe Gibbs knew how to, but these 2 imbeciles managed to constantly have drama over Gibbs' 4 years

The past 21 months are an indication of how terrible the atmosphere is there

A highly volatile guy like Gruden with those 2 idiots at the top?

:doh:

I don't see why Gruden will do it unless he can bring in Bruce Allen.

maybe gruden wants the job cause he thinks he can groom campbell? new system anybody??

Gruden goes through quarterbacks like my wife goes through purses. He'll put up with Campbell for about 10 seconds. We'll have a new QB every week, sometimes two. It will never be a dull moment.

Seriously, every day there is some new "scoop" from some talking head that some former SB coach is taking over, complete with supporting details like where the Snyder plane was spotted, who Snyder was spotted having lunch with, who was pals with Vinnie, bla bla bla. Its always from "sources". This is such a crock. Why do people take any of this seriously?

Its not just a play acquistion deal though. Its a culture deal. And those 2 have no clue how to create a winning culture at Redskins Park

This really is the key to me. They have through the draft and free agency landed some good players. The culture at Redskins Park is toxic though. As long as it remains that way the coach or players don't matter. Something will always derail things.

I don't see why Gruden will do it unless he can bring in Bruce Allen.

Because then Dan wouldn't be able to have fun

Based on the other article, it looks like Gruden is willing to do anything to get back into coaching with a high spending owner.

If that means having Cerrato directing player acquisition, so be it

It's the receivers of course. Moss, Cooley, Kelly, Randle El, and Thomas are clearly the worst receiving corps in the league. Not surprising why we can't throw the ball.

/sarcasm

Yet the highest paid RB in the game gets a pass for not practicing and being below 50th in yards per carry.

Maybe Campbell isn't great, but at least his stats say he's performing around the average for NFL starting QBs and completing near top 5% of his passes and top 5% of his passes for first downs.

You can't say Portis is even near average right now. Portis has become the poster child of what's wrong with this team - not just the face of the franchise, but the true face of the franchise for all of its ugliness.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's that the Skins played 3 guys yesterday on the OL that weren't drafted or were out of the league last year. When your other guys on OL are Rabach and Dockery you're in for a long game.

Of course it doesn't help that a tactical genius like Zorn is using Cooley to block instead of Yoder.

Not much will change until this team gets an infusion of youth and talent on the OL.

Because then Dan wouldn't be able to have fun

Based on the other article, it looks like Gruden is willing to do anything to get back into coaching with a high spending owner.

If that means having Cerrato directing player acquisition, so be it

without a real GM, the correct players will not be chosen, and we'll be doing our usual "square peg, round hole" routine.

the only way this gets even close to ok is if we luck out with a beast QB ala matt ryan, joe flacco type.

Archived