Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish list

JimmiJo

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/sports/Sources_-Gruden-atop-Snyder_s-wish-list-8371348-64019622.html

Sources: Gruden atop Snyder's wish

By: Rick Snider

Examiner Sports Columnist

October 13, 2009

Jon Gruden appears to be the frontrunner in Dan Snyder's offseason search for his seventh coach in 11 seasons.

Sources close to Snyder say he began considering options to replace coach Jim Zorn after losing to Detroit on Sept. 27; a victory that ended the Lions' 19-game losing streak. The Redskins loss to Carolina on Sunday was its second in three games to a winless team. It followed a turbulent week when Snyder hired an "offensive consultant" to give Zorn another "fresh set of eyes" on a beleaguered offense.

Snyder has not contacted Gruden, say sources, but he believes the former Oakland-Tampa Bay coach might be the best fit among five Super Bowl winning coaches without jobs. Gruden currently is a Monday Night Football commentator who arrives in Washington for the Redskins-Philadelphia Eagles game on Oct. 26. Snyder and Gruden could meet during routine pregame research for the MNF program.

Meanwhile, Snyder's interest seems to have tempered for former Denver coach Mike Shanahan, once considered the frontrunner because of his long relationship with Redskins executive vice president Vinny Cerrato. Sources won't rule out Shanahan, but the latter's demand for more front office control makes it a less-likely hire. NFL sources say the two have discussed the job.

Click the link above for the entire article...

As long as Gruden forces Snyder to get rid of Cerrato, then I'm all for it! I would love to see Holmgren come in as the GM, but what I've read and heard is that he wants to coach again.

Edit: Nevermind, Snyder wants another puppet, and Gruden wants to get paid to stand on the sidelines. What happened to if Cerrato couldn't bring in young talent in 2 years, and make the Skins a winner then he'd be shown the door?

Good. I like Gruden :)

When he's had decent to good talent, he has won everywhere he's coached. You can't say that about Shanahan.

Look at the Tampa franchise without him there. Now look at Denver without Shanahan. End of discussion :)

It won't matter to me WHO is coaching if its Snyderatto running the show

The franchise is doomed until Cerrato is gone, and Snyder is taking year long vacations in Europe

As long as Gruden forces Snyder to get rid of Cerrato, then I'm all for it!

This is what scares me

Snyder is seeking is a candidate willing to leave major personnel decisions to Cerrato and the owner. NFL sources close to Gruden said that's not an expected deal breaker.

"When the guy has worked in the worst environment in football in Al Davis, he'll not see this as a problem," an NFL source said. "Gruden really wants to coach."

FML

I want someone new. I want a Redskin. I don't want a Buccaneer, I don't want a Raider. I want Joe Gibbs's true successor, someone who is ours and ours alone.

I want a successful version of Zorn.

First I want a true football man running this operation.

As Sheehan said today, I am sick and tired of amateur hour at Redskins park

And save for the 4 years of Joe Gibbs, its been a laughable amateur hour for 10 years

Let me tell you something about Jon Gruden.

The guy can flat-out coach.

He's a real competitor.

I would like to have a guy like that involved in my football team.

He flat out gets it down.

He brings it every week.

He's a football coach. Period.

He's the kind of guy you need to win in the National Football League.

(Wait a second, that last one might be Jaworski).

Jon Gruden appears to be the frontrunner in Dan Snyder's offseason search for his seventh coach in 11 seasons.

This is the number that makes me go :doh:. We've gone through so many coaches here in 11 years, most of any team I think. I hope whoever we hire, they stay for the long run at least.

As long as Gruden forces Snyder to get rid of Cerrato, then I'm all for it! I would love to see Holmgren come in as the GM, but what I've read and heard is that he wants to coach again.

If Snyder gets ri of Cerrato we can hire Shanahan. It's the only thing preventing the hire.

Sources won't rule out Shanahan, but the latter's demand for more front office control makes it a less-likely hire.

So Snyder doesn't want to give up any power

Snyder and Vinny stay in power with Gruden as the coach

Someone explain to me how this is a better situation?

I would be stoked. I think (hope) he would be one of those coaches that could come back after a layoff and be completely re-energized. We need a fiery coach because the staying "medium' philosophy isn't working.

The fact that he is working the booth doesn't hurt either and you know he's looking at game film keeping up to speed on players and schemes.

My list is short.

1.Cowher

2.Gruden

First I want a true football man running this operation.

As Sheehan said today, I am sick and tired of amateur hour at Redskins park

And save for the 4 years of Joe Gibbs, its been a laughable amateur hour for 10 years

Turner was a first-time coach with us and should've never been fired. We had a winning record and if we had kept Johnson, then we would've had another ring by 2002.

Schotty was not an amateur.

That's 60% of your ten years.

Spurrier failed, Zorn shouldn't have been a head coach this soon.

"Amateur hour" got us Gibbs, got the Eagles Reid, got the Packers Holmgren, got the Raiders Gruden, etc. Every coach has to start somewhere. Why not here?

The franchise is doomed until Cerrato is gone, and Snyder is taking year long vacations in Europe

+1!

They were saying in Sportstalk 980 yesterday there was only card left for Snyder to play to keep the majority of the fans satisfied...and that was to fire Vinny and for Snyder to announce he was only going to concentrate on the marketing side of the business.

Do you think that's going to happen?....Me Neither.

While I know he is not the most popular choice around here, I really like Gruden and really hope he is at the top of the list. He has a fire that we haven't seen since Marty and he is a hell of a motivator. On top of that, I think he is one hell of an all around coach. He won in Oakland and Tampa, which seems like miracle work at this point. Plus, he will be more likely to stick around for a long time than any other candidate will.

And here, I'm sure, is an even less popular sentiment: If Gruden is brought in, I am willing to tolerate Dumb and Dumber at the top. I think Gruden can win despite, if not in spite, of them.

If Cerrato lucks into a QB, he could win. He's really not that bad.

Not good, but not incapble of winning. All he needs is a blue chip QB prospect to build around.

If the comments he makes from the booth are any indication, I think Gruden desperately wants a shot at the Cowboys gig. I have nothing to base that on aside from his gushing about everything Cowboys-related earlier this year.

Granted, he gushes about every player on every team, but it seemed particularly acute in Dallas.

It will be fascinating if Jerry Jones and Snyder are both in the market for a coach at the same time.

Sources won't rule out Shanahan, but the latter's demand for more front office control makes it a less-likely hire.

So Snyder doesn't want to give up any power

Snyder and Vinny stay in power with Gruden as the coach

Someone explain to me how this is a better situation?

I see your point of view and I agree with you but Gruden can say, "Look you guys need me a lot more than I need you! A majority of your fanbase is ready to throw you guys under the bus and I am the one person keeping that from happening."

Again I see your point of view and I agree with you.

While I know he is not the most popular choice around here, I really like Gruden and really hope he is at the top of the list. He has a fire that we haven't seen since Marty and he is a hell of a motivator. On top of that, I think he is one hell of an all around coach. He won in Oakland and Tampa, which seems like miracle work at this point. Plus, he will be more likely to stick around for a long time than any other candidate will.

And here, I'm sure, is an even less popular sentiment: If Gruden is brought in, I am willing to tolerate Dumb and Dumber at the top. I think Gruden can win despite, if not in spite, of them.

He did win with Al Davis, so anything is possible.

Archived