Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Riggins on the hiring of Sherm Lewis

DixieFlatline

I'll tell you right here and now, Zorn's time in DC is done barring a 12-4 playoff year...and even then its 50/50.

I've learned a few things in my short time on this planet thus far, and one of them is when someone or a group of people ACT in a way that CLEARLY implies something, and in response to that action say the exact opposite of what it clearly implies, and you hear that broken record playing over and over and over from the people involved in that action about how "its not what you think"......

....they are all lying. It is what you think. Go with your gut.

I have learned with this team to never ever look deeper than the surface. In this case, it is what it is. Lewis is being hired to take some of Zorn's responsibilities, and mainly to try to maintain some level of continuity for the new HC, whether its during the season, next season, whatever.

I have learned with this team to never ever look deeper than the surface. In this case, it is what it is. Lewis is being hired to take some of Zorn's responsibilities, and mainly to try to maintain some level of continuity for the new HC, whether its during the season, next season, whatever.

That is a very good point to make regarding this team.

Things are almost always exactly what they seem.

That is a very good point to make regarding this team.

Things are almost always exactly what they seem.

Except when Gibbs came back and everyone thought he would be successful almost instantly. That didn't go as planned in 04.

Except the 05 playoff run when everyone gave up after we lost in overtime against the Chargers which put us at a 5-6 record. That didn't go as it seemed it would.

Except in '06 when we were coming off a great '05 campaign, Gibbs 2.0 was in full gear, we brought in the great offensive guru Al Saunders, proceeded to seem as if we fixed all of our problems in the offseason; brought in Andre Carter to help out our average pass rush, Antwaan Randle El (who proved to be a very good slot/third WR, punt returner and gadget guy) and Brandon Lloyd (to get a legitimate WR on the other side of Moss) to give us other options in the passing game, and Adam Archuleta to provide us an awesome Safety tandem in a defensive scheme that featured Safeties. Everyone everywhere was on the Redskins bandwagon, with a large amount of pundits predicting we'd at the very least play in the Super Bowl.

That didn't go as it seemed at all. At all.

Except the 07 playoff run when we couldn't even win the game for Sean right after he died, Campbell gets injured the next game, and everyone was jumping off of a cliff. Collins comes in and plays well against the Bears to get the win, our WRs get healthy, our defense starts taking games over, and we go on a wonderful 4 game winning streak to get to the playoffs. That didn't go as it seemed it would.

Except in '08 when we got off to a 6-2 start with a new HC at the helm, with everyone on both sides of the ball playing solid football. We then proceeded to get ravished by injuries on the Oline, see both Campbell's and Portis' level of play decline as well, and watch our defense give up some long drives on the way to a 2-6 record for the final half of the season. Can't say that went as it seemed it would.

I'd actually venture to say that almost NOTHING is as it seems with this team, lol. ;)

I'm not entirely against this move. I actually like it in a lot of respects. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

And I wonder how much Lewis is getting paid? Anyone heard?

The real question is who does Lewis report to? Zorn? Vinny? Snyder?

What he said.

Echo that. Just makes the Skins look like idiots!

This has to be the worst move anyone could have made. The fact of the matter is that the installed offense does work, and is very potent. The fact remains we are not executing it. And, in the WCO a lot of responsibilities are shouldered by the QB. And, we don't have a smart one!

Feel for Zorn. Not sure, if I was in his shoes how I would react. Personally, I think it undermines the credibility of the HC.

I saw this on Riggo's twitter page put on there around 8PM this evening:

No offense to Sherm, but this is pure panic from the top from gutless leadership...he leads the charge from the safety of the rear!!!!

Harsh! I like it, though.

I honestly don't know what to think about this. On the one hand, I get how people think this is a move undermining Zorn. On the other hand, I can understand this ending up as being exactly what Vinny and Zorn are saying it is.

Since I am only human, I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. :)

I'd actually venture to say that almost NOTHING is as it seems with this team, lol. ;)

Your pointing out situations where we thought our team or players would perform or not perform and then they surprised us. Thats why they play the game.

Thats completely different then our FO doing something and then telling us that the reason they're doing it is not the logical reason that we suspect it is. Even though they have lied numerous times in the past.

FO decisions are usually set in stone. How a player/team will perform never is.

There are people who interview well, and then there are people who get the job done. I think the front office screwed this up from the get (Zorn). You do things a certain way for a reason. This time perhaps, we hire the head coach first and then the qb coach! Zorn is going to be a good coach in this league. Not now.

Your pointing out situations where we thought our team or players would perform or not perform and then they surprised us. Thats why they play the game.

Thats completely different then our FO doing something and then telling us that the reason they're doing it is not the logical reason that we suspect it is. Even though they have lied numerous times in the past.

So are you saying the FO has nothing to do with said "team and players"? If they perform badly, doesn't everyone bash the FO for that? Isn't the assembling of said "team and players" the job of the FO? So that doesn't count, they're removed from that? Is that what you're saying?

And are you saying that they're only involved in lying? How many times did they do something and it was a move that was exactly what they said it was for?

Synder hired a babysitter for Zorn that's funny to me and embarassing for Zorn and Sherman SMITH...I believe Zorns magic number is 5....lose 5 and your out the next week

No, the whole thing is funny to the other 35 nfl ORGANIZATIONS but simply embarrassing to skins fans. But of course this is par for course since Danny came along. The problem with this franchise (notice I will not use the word organization to describe the skins as they are so far from being what a organization should be) is that they are always in panic mode. Thats a sign that no one has a clue what is going on.

Good luck Sherman you have no idea what sort of mess you got yourself into.

The story they are giving is that Lewis is going to analyze the offense and everything in general and report back to Snyder and Company what he finds.

I'm curious as to what happens when he tells Dan Snyder that he blames Zorn's coaching and/or playcalling, or if he happens to feel like Jason Campbell is holding the team back.

What happens then? Does Dan Snyder fire Lewis for taking a swipe at Campbell? This whole thing has epic fail written all over it...

What he said.

Agreed this just feels...wrong on every level. I agree with a lot of people who say that this is a sign that Zorn's days are numbered unless the team does a huge turn-around and wins a playoff game. I'd like to see that happen...this weekend's game will go a long way in determining if that happens.

The story they are giving is that Lewis is going to analyze the offense and everything in general and report back to Snyder and Company what he finds.

I'm curious as to what happens when he tells Dan Snyder that he blames Zorn's coaching and/or playcalling, or if he happens to feel like Jason Campbell is holding the team back.

What happens then? Does Dan Snyder fire Lewis for taking a swipe at Campbell? This whole thing has epic fail written all over it...

Oooor, maybe, just maybe Lewis reports back and they make changes based on what he said or they simply don't with no hard feelings. Lewis continues to observe, reports his findings, gets paid while doing so and they can choose whatever they want to do with his findings. Maybe what they do with what he says isn't his problem.

Maybe Lewis says something like player A needs to start doing this, or have more plays designed like this for him, and the coaches take that and use it. Maybe Lewis says "bench player A" and the coaches do it. Maybe they don't.

Maybe he is what they say he is. :whoknows:

Maybe we shouldn't always be so sure of ourselves around here?

I don't mind it at all. How can it hurt? Seriously. Its like complaining because we didn't extend Jason Campbell in the off season. Why would we? These are professional football coaches/players. Zorn should have known when he took the job there would be pressure to perform. He has to know that he is going to be fired if he just isn't deaf and blind. Lewis being hired doesn't make his seat any hotter than it was the day before they hired him. If Jim Zorn is a pro and the coach we need to him to be, he rises to the occassion, wins a bunch of games and makes us all apologize and I will gladly be first in line to do it.

If he loses and this team continues to underperform then he has to go. This offense is in excusable. The fact that the defense is too is not even relevant. The defense CAN be fixed. I am not so sure about the offense. They are a mess and have been every single day that Jim Zorn has been here. If he fails, Sherm Lewis is a stepping stone to Holmgren or Gruden and I will be fine with that. Id prefer holmgren as Gm and Gruden as coach but at this point we need a steady hand leading this team. I'll take a head coach.

Interestingly, its such a West Coast move that I think Danny is really committed to this WCO experiment. Something I have vehemently disagreed with since he started down this road. But I suppose its the most consistency we have in this organization. I would prefer Cowher but that really would show complete lack of planning by this owner for him to reverse course on our style.

I am cool with him trying to model the eagles. Now I need him to start modeling their FO, player personnel people, and defense (this sit back and react crap is awful) after philly as well.

Archived