Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The young recievers, whats the deal?

SIXX99

I will own up. I was one of the people that sadly proclaimed DT the next Fitz before the season even started.

didn't you start the original thread? I was buying in to it too, but that was when I was a glass half full type of guy. Now I'm much more willing to accept that we're a mediocre team. Hopefully we will address some of our problems through the draft this coming offseason instead of going after the big name free agents again.

didn't you start the original thread? I was buying in to it too, but that was when I was a glass half full type of guy. Now I'm much more willing to accept that we're a mediocre team. Hopefully we will address some of our problems through the draft this coming offseason instead of going after the big name free agents again.

I know alot of people want that elite QB but I think we better shore up the O-line before we make any other moves. A couple of mean, nasty, young, run blocking O-lineman would make this team alot better.

I know alot of people want that elite QB but I think we better shore up the O-line before we make any other moves. A couple of mean, nasty, young, run blocking O-lineman would make this team alot better.

I want some linemen that fit our scheme. Don't we have a zone blocking scheme now? I'd rather get some quicker linemen who have some lateral movement and can get into space.

But thats a conceptual issue, if we can get some talented linemen, then we can build around that.

It seems like every other WR taken out of the second round of 08 draft has had success except ours. Desean Jackson is Phillys best WR, Eddie Royal is solid in Denver for the most part, and Donnie Avery has been a number 2 guy in St. Louis. But after thinking about Kelly and Thomas were both projected to be mid 1st round picks and they fell quite a bit from where they were projected. So maybe everyone realized they weren't that good.

It takes a good QB to realize the talent of a WR. A WR is only as productive as the QB is throwing the ball to them. JC has NEVER been a QB that distributes the ball to his WR corp.

Sorry you can't pin the lack of production on the WR draftees. Our QB can't see the field and misses open receivers all the time.

Kelly doesn't always get the separation and Jason did force it to him yesterday. I'd like to see some passes go Devin's way

That ball should have been thrown like many of the other passes Campbell throws. The announcer made the comment, "With that coverage the ball should be underthrown so the guy has a chance to catch it or at least put it on his outside shoulder."

Campbell is just not great at ball placement. I see too many times where the ball is just alittle off of where it needs to be.

I wasn't exactly impressed with Devin Thomas. He couldn't gain any separation. I thought he was supposed to be this guy who could be a burner. Instead I have seen most DBs shadowing him as the day is long. Kelly hasn't exactly stood out either. For these draft picks to excel they need to start making plays, but it would appear that Campbell doesn't necessarily trust them to do so.

Did anyone watch brett favre's eyes tonight? did you see how quickly he goes through reads? These guys would get the ball if campbell had enough skill to go through reads even half as fast. instead he stares down receivers and forces dumb throws

Kelly Washington came in for a looksee and by all accounts was wildly outclassed by Thomas and Kelly.

He goes to Baltimore and he has 16 catches in four games. Flacco targets him often.

The problem ain't the receivers, folks.

I agree that with a better QB and better system receivers can look better, but I don't think our younger guys play like world beaters either, right now.

Chicken/egg, personally I think our guys are fairly overrated right now, but they'll get better. Most analysts that I read seemed to think that while our draft that year was decent, there were question marks on both of our receivers - most of those question marks have been born out to this point, it seems.

Look at what the 49ers are doing. They blew out the rams and they have way worse weapons on offense than we do.

Eh? They scored 35 points, but 21 didn't come on offense.

Kelly Washington came in for a looksee and by all accounts was wildly outclassed by Thomas and Kelly.

He goes to Baltimore and he has 16 catches in four games. Flacco targets him often.

The problem ain't the receivers, folks.

Look at what the 49ers are doing. They blew out the rams and they have way worse weapons on offense than we do.

Who claims Washington was "wildly outclassed" by Thomas and Kelly? The reason Kelly and Thomas are on the roster is because they were drafted in the 2nd round by the FO, and they don't want to look any worse than they already do.

I do agree that Campbell doesn't throw to them nearly enough,...either because plays aren't called for them, or JC just doesn't for whatever reason. But Thomas was obviously overrated in the draft,...he's just not that good. Kelly shows potential and could be a quality WR -- but not sure that's gonna happen on this team.

Did anyone watch brett favre's eyes tonight? did you see how quickly he goes through reads? These guys would get the ball if campbell had enough skill to go through reads even half as fast. instead he stares down receivers and forces dumb throws

Brett Favre, HOF.

But better yet compare an emerging Packers QB Rogers. The guy was under constant pressure and was hit way too much, yet still stepped up and found guys down field and hit them in stride for long completions. Rogers gave the Packers a chance in that game against a much better team IMO. The Wideouts also did not stop running around after their routes were finished either. I think guys on this team realize the ball is not coming to them if not right away, so they give up. EVEN MOSS has been seen doing this.

Who claims Washington was "wildly outclassed" by Thomas and Kelly? The reason Kelly and Thomas are on the roster is because they were drafted in the 2nd round by the FO, and they don't want to look any worse than they already do.

I do agree that Campbell doesn't throw to them nearly enough,...either because plays aren't called for them, or JC just doesn't for whatever reason. But Thomas was obviously overrated in the draft,...he's just not that good. Kelly shows potential and could be a quality WR -- but not sure that's gonna happen on this team.

Its not easy for a young WR to learn the WCO. Take a look at the Eagles. How many WR's have they had, that failed in that system? Many have. There are only 2 WR's that have been good in that system. TO and Jackson. It takes time. Be patient. Thomas? He needs to work on his routes. Thomas is faster than Desean Jackson, but his route running is killing him.

Both WR's have talent. Don't be fooled. They are still learning the system.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHbkz0IMIeA&feature=related

Thomas runs a 4.3 forty at 220lbs. and the talk was that the Skins needed big WR's. So, yes, you draft him. Give him time.

Kelly is a good WR. Campbell has under thrown the ball to Kelly the last 2 weeks. Kelly can catch, and run. Film doesn't lie.

Davis hasn't really done that much. And its his own fault. But he can play.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlflpVhHD_I&feature=related

These guys need to play.

Kelly had a little trouble getting open yesterday but I think to a large extent its a chemistry issue as well. Campbell just does not trust the young guys and thus does not look in their direction. In regards to Thomas, he has not even had the opportunity this season so I don't know how you can judge him based on play this season (JC won't even look his way). We've all seen the freeze frams where he's wide open and he dropped one pass in the endzone this year as well. I think with Kelly struggling a bit on the outside it would make some sense to get Thomas a few more looks and move Kelly inside more where his size can be a good factor.
it occurred to me reading the first couple sentences of your post that campbell is in his contract year so he knows he cant screw up. combine that with the lack of trust of the young receivers and that gives him more reason to lock in on moss and cooley.

not saying that we should sign him long term, but i have a small feeling that if we did, he might setting down and find the younger guys more since he wouldnt have the contract year thing looming in the back of his mind.

Archived