Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The young recievers, whats the deal?

SIXX99

1 quarter into the season and Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly have a combined 7 receptions for 72 yards. Campbell appears at times to try to get the ball to them but other times doesn't even look their way. Zorn is giving the playing time and we are throwing the ball more than we have in the past 5 years. It seems to me like we still have our same offence of Cooley, Portis, and Moss that we have had for the past 3-4 years. Or is this purely on Devin and Malcolm? Based on comments by Moss made yesterday it seemed like he was frustrated by Thomas' effort. So who is to blame for the lack of production by our 2nd rounders.

It's simple. Either Kelly, Thomas, and Davis are all three of the biggest busts in recent draft history or the problem is we have a QB who locks in on Moss or Cooley 95 percent of the time.

I know what I think. Some agree, some disagree. We'll find out next year because barring him turning into Drew Brees, there is no way in hell Snyder and Vinny bring back JC.

Kelly had a little trouble getting open yesterday but I think to a large extent its a chemistry issue as well. Campbell just does not trust the young guys and thus does not look in their direction. In regards to Thomas, he has not even had the opportunity this season so I don't know how you can judge him based on play this season (JC won't even look his way). We've all seen the freeze frams where he's wide open and he dropped one pass in the endzone this year as well. I think with Kelly struggling a bit on the outside it would make some sense to get Thomas a few more looks and move Kelly inside more where his size can be a good factor.

Would it really hurt anything to start Marko Mitchell??

It's not like Thomas or Kelly is lighting up the place, so why not give MM a shot? He is an unknown receiver to other teams, no one knows a thing about him, and that is what gives him a big advantage. Who knows, maybe he would be the spark thats needed to ignite this water-logged offense...

Those numbers are pretty bad, your right you need more production out of your high draft picks then that. Moss had Evey right to say those things its true.

It seems like every other WR taken out of the second round of 08 draft has had success except ours. Desean Jackson is Phillys best WR, Eddie Royal is solid in Denver for the most part, and Donnie Avery has been a number 2 guy in St. Louis. But after thinking about Kelly and Thomas were both projected to be mid 1st round picks and they fell quite a bit from where they were projected. So maybe everyone realized they weren't that good.

I seem to remember many places saying:

"Devin Thomas has all the tools to be a number 1 receiver, but whoever drafts him will have to be patient."

Patience isn't an attribute of Redskins fans. As for Kelly, eh. I was never high on him to begin with. Thomas probably won't get the chance to develop here in DC anyway because people are never willing to invest the time it takes to become a good player.

It's not like Thomas or Kelly is lighting up the place, so why not give MM a shot? He is an unknown receiver to other teams, no one knows a thing about him, and that is what gives him a big advantage. Who knows, maybe he would be the spark thats needed to ignite this water-logged offense...

I agree Marko Mitchell needs to be given a chance. We are getting nothing from Thomas and Kelly. I certainly saw more from Mitchell in the pre-season then I have seen from Thomas and Kelly combined. Unfortunately I don't think being the better player will get him on the field, Snyderatto will be embarrased if Thomas and Kelly are benched in favor of a 7th round pick. Snyderatto doesn't like to be made to look foolish.

I wonder the same thing. Maybe his route running isn't perfect, but was Marques Colston's when he came into the league out of the 7th round? Besides, has M&M even been active?

The only time JC throws to Kelly is when he decides to throw to him before the play even starts

Ding Ding Ding! JC doesnt go through progressions. He either goes to his #1 option or dumps the ball off.

A good QB can go through progressions instantly, by READING THE DEFENSE presnap and right after the snap. He doesnt need to stare at each option for 3 seconds.

JC has a great arm, is athletic, and is a really nice guy. But hes not smart enough or quick enough to be an elite QB. Period.

I personally would have no problem working him in. He has proven (given it was in preseason) that he can catch a freaking goal line fade. I wish we would atleast activate for a game and give him a shot. And the talk about JC not trusting the guys is crap. All Campbell needs to do is throw a catchable ball and these PROFESSIONAL WR's should be able to catch it.

Jason needs to be able to make the back shoulder type throws to guys like Kelly. They are not as fast as Moss or as quick as Randle El, so you have think more about body placement - put the ball where they can use their big frame to their advantage. This is something that Eli Manning has gotten pretty good at (pains me to say it)....

According to the annoucers, the receivers are getting zero seperation most of the time.

I've been holding out hope on Kelly but it's getting closer and closer time to declare all three as busts.

Remarkable feat there Vinny. Keep flashing the Super Bowl ring that you had nothing to do with.

According to the annoucers, the receivers are getting zero seperation most of the time.

The most effectively designed offenses don't require quick separation on most plays. The QB is supposed to throw the ball BEFORE the final cut is made...so the separation isn't usually even noticeable. But, if the play is designed, and executed properly, there should be plenty when its required.

Those numbers are pretty bad, your right you need more production out of your high draft picks then that. Moss had Evey right to say those things its true.

moss needs to keep his mouth shut, he had 2 catches yell one was a 59 yard TD but he is shut down 2 out of 3 games. Watch Moss when he is not thrown to he pouts like a *****

Personally, I think patience is the most important attribute. Oh, and a strong stomach.

I think patience is overrated. Why call Thomas the next Larry Fitzgerald (as many were doing this offseason) before he ever catches a TD in the NFL? I mean its just setting yourself up for disappointment. Its kinda like acting like you've got a chance to date the most popular girl in school just cause she knows your name. Eventually you've gotta face the facts that you are who you are and we are a mediocre team.

Archived