Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn to the Redskins: Probably the worst NFL hire of all-time

Dirk Diggler

You can't blame Jim Zorn for his inexperience. You can however Blame the management team who brought Jim Zorn in to be the head coach. Obviously Zorn isn't meant to be a head coach, I think his play calling speaks for itself. But at the same time we can't just abandon him this early in a season, now is the time to bring in an actual Head Coach, someone with experience. Demote Zorn to offense coordinator or qb coach but have someone else make the play calls. With the amount of talented experienced coaches floating around this season we need to make a move and get one before this season slips away completely. It's early, there's still time to salvage this season if management makes the right decision....

Zorn could loose the rest of his games and still not be as bad a hire as ball coach.

The whole point of the article was asking the question what in the heck lead Synder and Vinnie to believe Zorn would be a competent head coach in the first place. At the time, Spurrier was a legitimate candidate for a number of teams and had lots of success in college. Zorn accomplished absolutely nothing in the NFL up to his hiring and had zero leadership qualities according to Tim Kawakami's personal interaction.

A 9-10 record in your first 10 games is damn near impossible if you ask me. Maybe he is the greatest of all time?

That gave me a good chuckle. Yes, Zorn would have to be the greatest HC of all time if he were to be 9-10 through 10 games.

Worse: Nobody in the NFL had ever thought that Zorn should be considered as a coordinator–a coordinator!–until Snyder and his pal Vinny Cerrato came up with that idea.

If I'm not mistaken, it was Jim Fassel that came up with the idea of Jim Zorn as Offensive Coordinator.

I have pretty good recall and the way I remember it, Fassell had agreed to interview for the job and recomended Zorn for the OC post. It wasn't until the fan got hit with, well....that Zorn all of a sudden became a HC candidate.

It's really hard for me to substantiate anyone who doesn't have their basic facts right and this comes from the captain of the bitter squad. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think I'm right.

I would say that this post is closer to the all-time worst than the hiring of Zorn. What could you possibly base this on? Do you remember when the much beloved Ricie Petibon was hired and went 2-14? Seems worse to me just off the top of my head. Get a grip and stop starting nonsense threads.

Again, the Switzer hire was far worse than the Zorn hire because Switzer (with the help of Jerry Jones) hastened the end of a dynasty.

Personally, I loved the Switzer hire. It's just too bad he got a ring anyway. Dallas was in the right place at the right time, a ton of young talent and FA and salary cap killing every other team leaving them with a few years to be undisputed.

-That is alittle jumping the gun!!!! ALOT of people seem to think the season ig gone, I just dont see it.

Most people seem to think that the Lions are the same team that they had last year, that lost all 16 games. During the skins-lions game I think I herd they had 15 new starters this year including a new QB. A new head coach. Dont get me wrong, I think we should have beat them, I still think we are a better team than they are. But they will win more games this year than just the one. One got away from us, but we will win more games, starting with the one tomarrow!!!!

I can remember when many in St. Louis thought Dick Vermeil was a terrible coach. That was before ... "The Greatest Show on Turf."

And wasn't Shanahan fired before he went to Denver?

So it's still way too early. Zorn had a major reconstruction project transitioning this team to a new system -- and simultanteously finding out if he had the right QB. He's made some good additions through the draft, but he's not just thinking about his own career; I'd note that most of 2009's draft went for defensive players.

So hold off on pre-judging Zorn as a complete and total failure. Give him time to do his job. Frankly, I happen to think he's going to turn out to be a good coach for the Skins, given time and a little more authority.

He won a Super Bowl. He can't be worse. Period.

Well, we've established that this discussion is not about a coach's RESULTS, but rather about how bad a hire was AT THE TIME IT WAS MADE. The Switzer hire was doubly bad because not only JJ hire Switzer, but he fired the architect of the dynasty to make room for him.

I think the blog post makes a good point (remember, it was written at the time Zorn was hired), because Zorn's highest job was a position coach. To promote him from quarterbacks coach (in Seattle) to head coach, without even seeing what he would be like as OC, well, that was head scratching at best, and considering to have him replacing a HOFer in a town that is notoriously hard on its football team and finnicky when it comes to coaches, and considering there were so many other candidates with solid resumes, well, it could easily be argued it was one of the dumbest hires of all time.

I would have to say, though, his stint so far hasn't borne out the "worst of all time" label, and probably won't. It hasn't been pretty, but remember, there's a very good chance he could finish something like 9-7 and still get fired, leaving him with a career record two games over .500. That definitely wouldn't be worst ever material.

Archived