Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Jim Zorn to the Redskins: Probably the worst NFL hire of all-time

Dirk Diggler

This was written the day Zorn was hired...

http://blogs.mercurynews.com/kawakami/2008/02/11/jim-zorn-to-the-redskins-probably-the-worst-nfl-hire-of-all-time/

The Washington Redskins have hired Jim Zorn as their head coach, and though they just had the news conference a few hours ago, it was first leaked a few days ago.

It’s still hard to believe, even for wacky Dan Snyder. (John and Jed York must feel so much smarter these days. One or two owners are wackier than they are!)

Jim Zorn. To replace Joe Gibbs. That has to be the biggest drop-off in NFL quality since Terrell Owens to Brandon Lloyd. Or the great Al Davis to… the current Al Davis.

Gibbs certainly wasn’t at the top of his game at the end of his second Washington tenure, but he forgets more things about coaching in the NFL than most coaches will ever know.

Zorn had never been a coordinator until Snyder plucked him from the QB-coaching ranks to be the Redskins’ coordinator a few weeks ago.

Worse: Nobody in the NFL had ever thought that Zorn should be considered as a coordinator–a coordinator!–until Snyder and his pal Vinny Cerrato came up with that idea.

Yeah worst hire of all time. Hyperbole is so great. A 9-10 record in your first 10 games is the "worst of all time".

jesus, you beat me by two posts

he's 9-10 you douchebags.

someone else put it perfectly - we ***** like impatient women about getting immediate results AND we ***** about not having consistency

Good things take time! give the man some DAMN TIME.

If the worst hire ever manages to go 8-8 in his first year, that's not bad. Zorn isn't looking great right now but there have been some BAAAAAAAAAAD coaching hires in the NFL throughout history. Zorn may be bad, but certainly not the worst. In fact, not even the worst in NFC East history. Barry Switzer, Dave Campo, Ray Handley and Rich Kotite were all head coaches in this division, just to name a few.

Barry Switzer won the Super Bowl. Obviously he had everything to do with it based on your standard of crediting Zorn with 8-8 and not about the team he took over.

Actually I wasn't crediting Zorn with the 8-8 record at all. What I meant was, if you make the worst coaching hire ever and come away with an 8-8 record, that's not too bad.

The reason the Switzer hire was much worse than the Zorn hire was the Switzer hire led to the demise of a dynasty. We didn't have a dynasty for Zorn to topple.

Here is what I said in the other thread about the same topic.

Zorn isn't even the worst hire for the Redskins.

Herman Ball '49-'51 :doh:

Mike Nixon '59-'60, 4-18-2 record :doh::doh:

Bill McPeak '61-'65, 21-46-3 record :doh::doh::doh:

Norv & Spurrier - 'nuff said :doh::doh:+:doh::doh:

Sometimes people need to keep perspective. From the age of 7 to 13, when I was learning to be a Skins fan, I suffered through a record of 25-64-5. It is hard for me to get riled up about a coach who is one game under .500.

:peaceout:

:helmet: The Rook

Zorn isn't even the worst hire for the Redskins.

Sometimes people need to keep perspective. From the age of 7 to 13, when I was learning to be a Skins fan, I suffered through a record of 25-64-5. It is hard for me to get riled up about a coach who is one game under .500.

Thanks for the perspective. The author says, "Zorn will be last all-time in both alphabetical and career winning percentage listings." People who write crap like that either are too young to have any historical perspective about what happened in the NFL prior to 1995, or are just looking for attention. Or both.

And I'm saying this as someone who's quickly losing patience with Zorn. It's still important to keep the proper perspective. Everyone loves to use superlatives. Everyone is the "worst ever" or the "best ever." Shut up, people. No they're not.

definitely not the worst, but maybe the strangest. ive never heard of a QB coach getting hired as the o coordinator then handed the head coaching job the next week.

BLC, usually when I quote you, it is because I have an "issue" with what you said.

But I think you hit this one out of the park. This hire was stranger than the Dallas hire of Wade when they had Jason set as OC. Well said sir.

:helmet: The Rook

Archived