concern about Carlos Rogers

Lar0n Landry

Should Zorn be Fired?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. Should Zorn be Fired?

• Yes, can him now, at some point soon.
    • Yes, at the end of the season.
    • No, keep him.

No Rogers is a scrub that is in it for the money. Just another player Snyder cuts a check to.

Compare him to Champ Bailey ... the guy he was supposed to replace. Champ = 8 probowls. Carlos =??

Does anyone need to say anything more. Carlos is a liability on the field. Slow to react, doesn't have great catch up speed, worst hands in the NFL, and gets beat on deep ball.

Compare him to Champ Bailey ... the guy he was supposed to replace. Champ = 8 probowls. Carlos =??

Does anyone need to say anything more. Carlos is a liability on the field. Slow to react, doesn't have great catch up speed, worst hands in the NFL, and gets beat on deep ball.

Yep that says it all he won't be resigned. Than again Snyder is a jackass so maybe he will resign him.

Hes had a rough stretch in terms of his 1-on-1 coverage but he is still a good cornerback. Hopefully he will get it turned around soon and get a int because he seems to be one of those players whose confidence is easily shaken. Last thing we need is for him to go into a slump like he did last year. He did have that great play on the bubble screen where he blew up the WR.

people you guys are killing me....blache is the issue of course it is in every other damn posting...that is understood...rogers had one bad play in coverage and yes it let up a td but he is our best cover corner...and oh yeah landry missed yet again another huge tackle leading with your head will only get you hurt or burnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt like today at fed ex fielllllldddddddddddd

Concern about Carlos Rogers:

Hey Spartacus 87- Does Mister Rogers getting beat badly on the first touchdown count as poor coverage today? Or do you want to nominate him for the Pro Bowl this season based on his performance in the first 4 games of the season?

Bryant ran a great route in the endzone, and Carlos was in man coverage. That's a really difficult route (and good throw from Johnson) to defend in that situation.

But don't let your agenda get in the way of being realistic.

Carlos didn't replace Champ.

Shawn Springs did. Unless you mean "replaced" as in, we drafted him, like we drafted Champ. Which is a dumb argument to make.

The TD pass caught on him ; I think he had pretty good coverage, but he bit on the inside route, and Bryant went outside, but he tried on that one, and it was a good throw as well, almost unable to cover.

But the sure pic-6 he had in his hands and dropped is inexcusable; they should make him stand in front of a qb and do nothing but catch, or try to catch balls from him. He is always dropping balls; last year, he dropped so many that were easy picks, and I hoped that this problem would have been corrected, but I guess not..

Spartacus 87 - I am responding to your last post.

We know that Carlos was in man coverage- its called taking responsibility for your one on one coverage and not saying as an excuse- "well my opponent just ran a great route on that play and the quarterback made a great throw". If Carlos had made a good play I would defend him but you defend him when he has poor coverage. So who has the agenda issue? This is one reason why our defensive coach last week felt he had to take the full blame for the loss. If he blitzes more often then he will have to leave Carlos exposed on his side of the field on certain plays. Maybe he should just call corner blitzes so Carlos can try to get the quarterback instead.

Spartacus 87 - I am responding to your last post.

We know that Carlos was in man coverage- its called taking responsibility for your one on one coverage and not saying as an excuse- "well my opponent just ran a great route on that play and the quarterback made a great throw". If Carlos had made a good play I would defend him but you defend him when he has poor coverage. So who has the agenda issue? This is one reason why our defensive coach last week felt he had to take the full blame for the loss. If he blitzes more often then he will have to leave Carlos exposed on his side of the field on certain plays. Maybe he should just call corner blitzes so Carlos can try to get the quarterback instead.

Because even in the NFL, sometimes DBs get beat on a combination of good routes/good passes. Especially if they're in man coverage and it's that shallow of a route, which leaves virtually no room for error at all. Corners get beat for catches and TDs. It happens. I saw the great Nnamdi Asomugha get beat on a short route by Vincent Jackson for a TD at the start of the season.

Carlos bit a little too hard on the inside move, but that's part of what makes that pass/route work.

When else was Carlos' name even called today? The missed pick (which again, he read to try to make the play on very well) and leveling Bryant in open space before he could even catch the ball fully.

The TD pass caught on him ; I think he had pretty good coverage, but he bit on the inside route, and Bryant went outside, but he tried on that one, and it was a good throw as well, almost unable to cover.

But the sure pic-6 he had in his hands and dropped is inexcusable; they should make him stand in front of a qb and do nothing but catch, or try to catch balls from him. He is always dropping balls; last year, he dropped so many that were easy picks, and I hoped that this problem would have been corrected, but I guess not..

I really think it's psychological.

He could have someone throw footballs at him all day and it wouldn't make a difference. It's the game time stress factor that he can't practice, and that beats him every time.

There has been a running debate on this topic for about 4 years... I'm curious what NC21 says on this. When Gregg W was DC, Carlos was dubbed "the cushion" for good reason. I'm inclined to allow that his current cushion is a matter of scheme... Not when GW was here though. Springs always was within 5-7 yards at most. Football Scientist showed Carlos' cushion was more generous than anyone else in the league one year. However, this year does seem a bit more scheme than past years.

As for his hands... The fact he can't catch makes the plays he misses on that much more obvious. It's not just his hands... It's his ball skills in the verticle game. When the ball is in the air, Carlos loses it. His coverage is fine in the short-medium range. His tackling is decent for a CB. He isn't a playmaker. He will never make a Pro Bowl.

He's not a great shutdown guy but he does a good job of keeping his man (usually the #1 receiver) in check for pretty much the entire game.

His hands are another topic. Dude might be the worst corner in the history of this sport when it comes to catching.

I see him covering the #1 guy when that guy happens to line up on the left... I hear fans make this claim to excuse his performance. Shawn Springs was our best corner prior to this season and Hall is our best corner now.

Bryant ran a great route in the endzone, and Carlos was in man coverage. That's a really difficult route (and good throw from Johnson) to defend in that situation.

I'm with you. That TD pass was just one of those things where the QB made a brilliant throw and there wasn't much that could be done.

Far as the dropped pick goes, I think that's just a reality that we're going to have to live with. Some funny Skins-lore to tell the kids about one day.

I still think he's a good CB though.

Steve09ru- Unfortunately stats never quite tell the whole story about the true performance of many NFL players. Every year Carlos drops interceptions. Do they keep that stat? Ever heard the phrase that you can make statistics tell any story you want to tell? Here is an example of Kyle Boller and Jamarcus Russell from yesterday. They were comparable. Kyle had a 48.6 passer rating and Jamarcus earned a 48.5 passer rating. I think in the first half JC had a slightly higher passer rating. Now most GM's would say they would not any of these 3 on their team. Look past the numbers and focus on results. What is the final score, did someone make a play like Hall did or did someone not make a play like Rogers did.

I just wish Rogers and Hall would be good on the same day for once. Seems like every time one plays well, the other takes the day off.

obviously the guy is not too shabby...gets burned all the time? - here's some with facts to actually bring to the pointless opinions without facts

ranked #8 cb last year

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=279958&highlight=carlos+rogers

top 10 cb last year

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=279274&highlight=carlos+rogers

I'm pretty sure those rankings are one person's opinion. I know the first one is. In fact, on the first guy's full list, he has Rogers ranked far above several guys who allowed fewer TDs and had more INTs last year.

I think Rogers has been overrated on this site. He was horrific in his first couple years, and had some good stretches in 07 and 08. Not terrible, not great, IMO, he's average. He has never been "elite" or "shutdown" as some have suggested, and his dropped INTs are beyond ridiculous. He is a pretty good tackler and plays best near the line of scrimmage. That's good, but not what a first round CB should be.

I'm with you. That TD pass was just one of those things where the QB made a brilliant throw and there wasn't much that could be done.

Far as the dropped pick goes, I think that's just a reality that we're going to have to live with. Some funny Skins-lore to tell the kids about one day.

I still think he's a good CB though.

Whatever,...excuses, excuses. He stinks.

He was the 9th pick overall in the 2005 draft. Me thinks he was definitely NOT worth that pick.

The Skins passed on DeMarcus Ware and Shawne Merriman - holy hell. :doh:

Archived