Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Hate Lavar and Chad

riggo4ever

Thats probably a bad example though because this is a Skins message board, not a general sports or local sports one. So we've kinda already parsed the dataset. I know other people come here who are not Skins fans, but those seem to be the exception based on the name of this place alone. It'd be different if we looked at somewhere like sportsnation or espn and compared how their different sections did. I'd wager that this time of year people are talking more about and discussing the nats than the skins just because there is more to talk about. I know BulletsForever has a very active community taht gets over 100 comments whenever they post an article so they've got a nice following.

True, but just think in general, how many people in the area root for the Caps, Nats and Wiz, but not the Skins? Hell I'm a Skins fans, but the O's are my baseball team. I just don't know many people who are a fan of the other 3 local teams and not a fan of the Skins. PokerPacker is the only one I know on here who roots for the Caps, but not the Skins. 

True, but just think in general, how many people in the area root for the Caps, Nats and Wiz, but not the Skins? Hell I'm a Skins fans, but the O's are my baseball team. I just don't know many people who are a fan of the other 3 local teams and not a fan of the Skins. PokerPacker is the only one I know on here who roots for the Caps, but not the Skins. 

See, I know people who are baseball or basketball guys but not football. And I know a lot of women who refuse to watch football because (a) they don't know who is who and (B) they think its too violent. I'm not saying that the women demographic is who sports radio should cater to, but the first type exists in every city and DC is no exception. I think about Dan Steinberg, who is a college ball fan first. Some of my best friends are big time boxing fans and thats all they want to talk about.

I think the Skins get a lot of slack because thats all this town knew for so long. so many of the sports stations are of the mindset of "if its worked this long why change things". And with the Wizards and Nats sucking for so long, that was something that could play to fans easily. But with those two franchises turning things around, it means that the demand for more balance will continue to grow, and if it doesn't you'll just see more sites grow and more discussion at bars and other places as those interested in talking about things other than the Skins look for an outlet.

Quick question. Lets say we get KD on the Wizards? You really think he won't become the number 1 story in DC? The sports media will lead in with stories about which shoe he tied first over some BS Skins media-created controversy.

See, I know people who are baseball or basketball guys but not football. And I know a lot of women who refuse to watch football because (a) they don't know who is who and ( B) they think its too violent. I'm not saying that the women demographic is who sports radio should cater to, but the first type exists in every city and DC is no exception. I think about Dan Steinberg, who is a college ball fan first. Some of my best friends are big time boxing fans and thats all they want to talk about.

I think the Skins get a lot of slack because thats all this town knew for so long. so many of the sports stations are of the mindset of "if its worked this long why change things". And with the Wizards and Nats sucking for so long, that was something that could play to fans easily. But with those two franchises turning things around, it means that the demand for more balance will continue to grow, and if it doesn't you'll just see more sites grow and more discussion at bars and other places as those interested in talking about things other than the Skins look for an outlet.

Quick question. Lets say we get KD on the Wizards? You really think he won't become the number 1 story in DC? The sports media will lead in with stories about which shoe he tied first over some BS Skins media-created controversy.

Of course that would be a huge story. Right until football season started though. And I agree, the Skins have been here for 36 more years than the Wiz, 37 more than the Caps and 68 more than the Nats. So they have that advantage.

I don't think DC sports is on the same level as Philly, Chicago or NY right now.  When you think of DC, it's Redskins and Bullets/Wiz (imo).  When you think of NY, it's Yankees, Knicks, Giants, Rangers.  When you think of Chicago it's Cubs, Bulls, Blackhawks, Bears.  

When you think of Philly it's Eagles, Sixers, Phillies, (not gonna list the Flyers cause I never think about them when I think Philly sports).  

Sure, you have four big sports in a major market.  But the perspective, big picture, is outside of the actual fans of the other three sports in DC, those teams are not as recognizable as the other sports teams in the cities you listed.  I think that's why the label of a football city is what DC gets.  And it will most likely be that way until the other three teams have major success over an extended period of time.

Just be glad you have all four major sports in your city and get the privilege of being able to attend games and see any teams you want to play.  I'm not afforded that luxury.  It's NFL and NBA.  No MLB and no NHL.

"Not recognizable"? "When you think of DC it's just Redskins and Bullets?" 

Harper is tearing it up and getting national attention and the Nationals are red hot but the Nats aren't recognizable? The Capitals consistently make the playoffs and they're "Not recognizable"? 

In fact the team you listed other than the Redskins has an issue with attendance and is perhaps the least recognizable of all 4 major sports in DC. 

As a lifelong DC resident I can tell you for sure that what you have said is factually inaccurate. 

Anyway we have way derailed this thread all because Ted Leonsis took pot shots at the radio stations here and said all they did was talk Redskins. No one is disputing that. He is completely correct. But this is a city just like Chicago and New York. Period. In fact, the teams in this city are even more successful than the teams in Philly. We live and die with our teams and go through the suffering just like Philly fans waiting for their Eagles or Sixers or Flyers to be relevant again. Same story. I don't understand what makes us different, what makes us a "transient city" or "not a real sports town". 

Perhaps it's my tenure here. But damn it, I have been born and raised in this area and I have always been supportive of the teams here. And so has everyone else. 

There are a handful of Cowboys fans I know of that root for the Nats--but none of them pose here...well, that I know of.

In fact, the teams in this city are even more successful than the teams in Philly. We live and die with our teams and go through the suffering just like Philly fans waiting for their Eagles or Sixers or Flyers to be relevant again.

By what measure?

The Eagles have no Lombardis, but have been very relevant for the past 15 years.  The Skins have been irrelevant during the same timeframe.

The Sixers haven't really been any great shakes since 2000 but made the playoffs a fair amount of times after their Finals appearance with Iverson. The Wizards appear to be putting it together, but have largely sucked.

The Phillies had a great run from 2007-11 with a WS championship and WS appearance.  The Nats have taken the NL East mantle from them.  Its sort of unfair to compare the two teams because the Nats haven't been in town a lot.

I think the Flyers are sort of like the Redskins of Philly, being the team in the modern era that first captured the heart of the city with the back to back Cups in the 70s.  The Flyers have been in the playoffs just as much as the Caps have recently and have a Cup appearance and ECF appearance in the Ovie era.

One thing that distinguishes Philly fans from DC fans. At NFL and MLB games, most people are wearing the team logo at Skins and Nays games.  ALL people are wearing the team logo at Eagles and Phillies games.

Sixers - finished with one of the worst records in the East the last two years

Phillies - perennial NL East bottom feeders 

Eagles - missed playoffs

Flyers - inconsistent and Berube was just canned

-----------------

Wizards - made playoffs last 2 years, made it to 2nd round

Nats - looking good this year and last year 

Redskins - bad

Caps - have consistently made playoffs with exception of last year 

Yeah you tell me which city is better, 3 out of those 4 DC teams made the playoffs this season, 0/4 Philly teams did. Who's better? 

Anyway to spin it back to radio, I think this is a sports town. I've said it before. There is nothing separating us from Chicago, and New York. We have 4 sports teams, just like Chicago. We're a major market, with 2 sports radio stations and plenty of options. Don't tell me this is a transient town. Don't tell me this isn't a sports town. That pisses me off so much, because I go to all the big games in this city, and they're ALWAYS packed. ALWAYS. 

Well, not the Wiz. But I don't care about basketball. 

I've lived in DC all my life except 4 years at college, and when EB said "I live here all my life and this isn't a sports town." I was very mad. That's not true. I've met so many people that have been fans of the sports teams here for DECADES. So how does EB have the gall to say this isn't a sports town? We love all our teams very much. That's what a sports town does. Yes, the Redskins are the majority of talk in this town. But we also love our 3 other teams too. Don't say we don't. Don't tell me that. That ain't true. When you go to Verizon or Nats Park and see a ****ing packed park, when it takes forever for me to get out because so many people are cramming Nats Park for a Friday night game, don't tell me this isn't a sports town. Don't tell me that lie. Everyone knows that's not true. 

Sixers - finished with one of the worst records in the East the last two years

Phillies - perennial NL East bottom feeders 

Eagles - missed playoffs

Flyers - inconsistent and Berube was just canned

-----------------

Wizards - made playoffs last 2 years, made it to 2nd round

Nats - looking good this year and last year 

Redskins - bad

Caps - have consistently made playoffs with exception of last year 

Yeah you tell me which city is better, 3 out of those 4 DC teams made the playoffs this season, 0/4 Philly teams did. Who's better? 

Ix, Philly has been in a comparatively rough spot in pro sports the past few seasons. But I take a longer view of things.  The Phillies have been shaky since 2013 but were .500 or better for the 12 years before that and had the WC championships and appearance, something the Nats still hope to attain.  Hardly "perennial bottom feeders," as you claim. The Flyers have appeared in the playoffs just about as much as the Caps have in recent years and had a Cup appearance. Berube got canned, but the Caps canned Adam Oates the season before!  The Eagles (to our delight) still haven't won the big one but have been much more relevant than the Skins.  I'll give you the Sixers.......but the Wizards have for the most part also been pretty bad until recently.

Here's a Baltimore-DC example. I was at the second game ever played at Nats Park (2008) and the second game ever played at Camden Yards (1992). Both openers were sellouts. Both teams were coming off bad years. Admittedly, the Nats really didn't have a star player while the Os had Cal. The game I went to at Camden Yards was packed......the one at Nats Park drew a whole 19,000 fans.

Ix, Philly has been in a comparatively rough spot in pro sports the past few seasons. But I take a longer view of things.  The Phillies have been shaky since 2013 but were .500 or better for the 12 years before that and had the WC championships and appearance, something the Nats still hope to attain.  Hardly "perennial bottom feeders," as you claim. The Flyers have appeared in the playoffs just about as much as the Caps have in recent years and had a Cup appearance. Berube got canned, but the Caps canned Adam Oates the season before!  The Eagles (to our delight) still haven't won the big one but have been much more relevant than the Skins.  I'll give you the Sixers.......but the Wizards have for the most part also been pretty bad until recently.

Looking back instead of forward. The Phillies are going to take 5-7 years to rebuild, at least. They haven't been good since 2011, really. Not sure where you're getting 2013 from. They weren't good in 2012, finishing 17 games behind the Nationals. The Eagles have made the playoffs once in the last 5 years. The Sixers are as bad as the Phillies. The Flyers have missed the playoffs 2 of the last 3 years, and are definitely trending downwards.

The Redskins are a mess, but can you really count on the Eagles this year? In addition, the Nats and Caps are in much better shape than their Philly counterparts.

Here's a Baltimore-DC example. I was at the second game ever played at Nats Park (2008) and the second game ever played at Camden Yards (1992). Both openers were sellouts. Both teams were coming off bad years. Admittedly, the Nats really didn't have a star player while the Os had Cal. The game I went to at Camden Yards was packed......the one at Nats Park drew a whole 19,000 fans.

I have no clue what your point is here--unless it's a thinly-veiled shot at Nats attendance. If it is, you definitely don't want to go there...

Riggo, Eagles have made playoffs twice (2010 and 2013) in past five seasons, and one of the non-playoff seasons (2014) was 10-6.

Phillies were 81-81 in '12.....yes, far behind the Nationals, but Nats were 86-76 in '13 and you can say they were far behind the Braves that year.  No argument that the Nats are still on the right track, while Philly is struggling. But the Phillies have hardly been "perennial bottom feeders"......at least posters should be accurate.

Guess I'm just sick of the Caps not getting further in the playoffs in the Ovie era.  Sixers......yeah they have sucked.  I hope the Wiz can build off the past two seasons and break through further.

The attendance thing for the second game at Nats Park.......I was just disappointed that DC had a spanking new venue for a team that had just come back to the area three seasons prior, and still couldn't fill half the place that night.  I just don't think it looked good for the area fanbase.

But enough about Philly vs DC.  To the recent debate at hand, seems like you have some radio hosts here that consider DC more of an "event driven" town and claim that not as many folks call in when the topic is anything other than the Redskins.  I'm not sure whether that's accurate, but I personally think feel  the sports talk shows here are too stuctured and move from topic-to-topic more than they should. Just give an overview of the main happenings (local and national) at the top of the show and then let the callers have at it. But I think a problem stems from the hosts themselves not being as knowledgable as they should be.

This is why I like the Man Cave. Its not all about the NFL or DC Sports.

Grant and Danny just started and they're leading off with the NFL Domestic Violence player getting cut? Not the NBA playoffs over the weekend? Have they even mentioned Curry's injury or Harden's play? Will they?

Seems like Boswell is missing the point. But that's not shocking, people take great offense to their town being criticized and they'll go to great lengths to refute the criticism.

Attendance figures when the team is, and has been for years, considered one of (if not the) best team in the league isn't the strong evidence he seems to think it is.

If you're going to start your side of the debate off by calling everyone on the other side dumb, you should probably make sure you have something that matters as evidence...

Look at the caps... years and years of making the playoffs with arguable (I think) the best player in the league and their ratings suck and playoff tickets were (apparently) easily to get and for cheap.

No one ever argued the area doesn't support a winning team... in fact, that's probably one of the few things everyone agrees on. Win and you'll be loved by everyone.

(Unless you're the caps or wizards in 2015 apparently....)

The nationals are a great story right now. They need to continue to be successful, maybe we will be a meaningful baseball town. It would be a great thing.

Basically it comes down to the time it takes to become invested as a fan. Football is 17 weeks of easily digestable sports entertainment that isn't a chore to plan your life around. The biggest complaint from football only fans towards other leagues is "Too many games". Which is insanity to me, personally, and gives off a vibe that most people are into it because it's an event/reason to party.

It's one of the major reasons football is now 4th on my totem pole of sports.

Seems like Boswell is missing the point. But that's not shocking, people take great offense to their town being criticized and they'll go to great lengths to refute the criticism.

Attendance figures when the team is, and has been for years, considered one of (if not the) best team in the league isn't the strong evidence he seems to think it is.

If you're going to start your side of the debate off by calling everyone on the other side dumb, you should probably make sure you have something that matters as evidence...

Look at the caps... years and years of making the playoffs with arguable (I think) the best player in the league and their ratings suck and playoff tickets were (apparently) easily to get and for cheap.

No one ever argued the area doesn't support a winning team... in fact, that's probably one of the few things everyone agrees on. Win and you'll be loved by everyone.

(Unless you're the caps or wizards in 2015 apparently....)

The nationals are a great story right now. They need to continue to be successful, maybe we will be a meaningful baseball town. It would be a great thing.

You act like DC is the only bandwagon town in the world. DC is far from. 

In fact every town in America with a sports team is going to show up when they're good and disappear when they're bad. Why is this only a DC thing? I'd rather we have crowds filling in the stadium when we're good instead of like Atlanta where they don't even show up to support a good team. Or Tampa Bay...that city where they infamously blacked out Bucs games and Rays games have putrid attendance. Tampa is a real transient city filled with retired people. Not DC. 

You act like DC is the only bandwagon town in the world. DC is far from.

In fact every town in America with a sports team is going to show up when they're good and disappear when they're bad. Why is this only a DC thing? I'd rather we have crowds filling in the stadium when we're good instead of like Atlanta where they don't even show up to support a good team. Or Tampa Bay...that city where they infamously blacked out Bucs games and Rays games have putrid attendance. Tampa is a real transient city filled with retired people. Not DC.

Lol. DC is as transient as it gets. Stop lying to yourself.

Did you read the Bozwell article? 

Also for that dude that said Man Cave was good I am highly dubious about that although I have never ever heard the show in my life. Reid and Chris Paul (how does he play guard for the Clippers and host a radio show at the same time) are pretty mediocre and Reid was always known as an instigator with the post. Plus the name is pretty cheesy. 

I wish we'd have more podcasts of local teams. We could get something going for the Redskins, Capitals, Nats, and Wizards. a DC Sports podcast. And there'd be no stupid callers and their stupid opinions. You know a caller actually called into Sirius and said the NFL is after the Patriots because of Aaron Hernandez? Sports talk is bad. The callers are bad. They just seem to put bad callers and idiots on the air for entertainment. "Hey man...love you, long time listener. I think we should trade RG3 and rebulid for the future. I'll hang up and listen." 

He's right. All the BS about this being a transient town is garbage. 

"Get your head out of Ashburn and look around" 

This area is definitely transient in a lot of ways.  Comers to make money, Leavers to retire to save money.  The growth tells you that in one way while the declining tax base tells in another. I see this in clients all the time.

What this town needs next is winners for a consistent period of time (beyond the CAPS making the playoffs every year). While the Caps and Wizards were in the playoffs you could feel a greater cross connect of players supporting stars of other sports which is a great building block. Whats needed next is the Skins to become a consistent winner and recapture some of that past glory. Not Gibbs 3.0 or Hogs 2.0, but the Redskins 2.0

Next they need one or more of these franchises to win a title in the near future for goodness sake.....this area is plenty large enough to fill our arenas as there is a very committed fan base that seems to be getting louder and louder......they just need winning teams to root for, and you can't go 20+ years between titles (sorry soccer doesn't count). 

Archived