Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Hate Lavar and Chad

riggo4ever

I'm shocked and insulted that anyone would dare have the nerve to imply this is a one sport city. I've never heard of anything so callous and IGNORANT in my life.

I hope grant and Danny live up to the hype but it's hard to be intellectual and run a sports show. Look at van pelt and russilo. Their show will be cancelled. Sports radio is about ratings. What gives ratings? People talking **** and acting like this city has one sports franchise. People acting like redskins are the only team that matters. You mean the same city where I see so many Cowboys fans? Are you kidding me? Redskins town?

Redskins are my team. But I love the caps and nats too. And I don't want to hear **** about the Redskins in the off-season. It's may. What could you POSSIBLY bring up about the skins in MAY?

My issue is with these comments

-----------

“So the answer is … is win. Win big and we will talk about you,” Bickel bluntly added. “But, still, at the end of the day, this is a Redskins town. This is not a great sports town, I’m sorry. I’m a lifelong Washingtonian. It is what it is. We aren’t Chicago, we aren’t Boston, we aren’t Philly; we aren’t even St. Louis. We’re Washington, D.C., full of transients. We’re full of different people. We come from different places. I love this town, there’s no place I’d rather live, but we aren’t a great sports town.

“And by the way, it’s not our job to make it a sports town!” he exclaimed. “And I work, and you work in sports radio! It’s completely ridiculous! I don’t have the luxury of $500 million to make a network and talk about whatever I want. I have to bring in the highest ratings, or, I, get, fired! So if that means talking about the Redskins, beer, the Capitals, the Kardashians — whatever. We have to be entertaining. I don’t have an agenda that I have to make this a great sports town. Frankly, I don’t have the luxury of that time. Does that make any sense to you? Does that make any sense to anybody?!”

-------------

This is what I've railed against time and time again. They don't care about the caps. They only talk about us when we fail. They care about ratings. This is the inherent issue with sports talk and credit to him for actually telling the truth. You're not here to talk sports or provide insight. You're here to spew generic **** and hype up the skins or talk about them or you'll get fired because the zombies listening on main stream radio won't give a ****. Damn this pisses me off. This is why mainstream radio is dead. IT'S RATINGS DRIVEN PANDERING CRAP.

[Edit] [

Honestly he's right though. It's all about ratings. Do you think Skip Bayless believes 100% of the crap he spews out on First Take? Probably not. But it's about ratings and money. Unfortunatley, these are businesses and they want to make money.

I like the Caps too, but in this area, the Caps aren't as big of draw as the Redskins or Nats or even the Wizards. The Caps have been the most successful team in town over the last decade, but hockey just doesn't have as big of a following as the other sports. They probably have the most dedicated and knowledgable fans, but there just aren't many of them.

You know what... I honestly think it's the length of the show. Grant and Danny have 4 hours to fill. What else are they going to talk about? The junkies go on from 6 to 10. WHAT else are they going to talk about?

That's the world of talk radio for you. That's why these shows are boring. They have to fill four hours. I can't listen to four hours anymore. Damn add.

Honestly he's right though. It's all about ratings. Do you think Skip Bayless believes 100% of the crap he spews out on First Take? Probably not. But it's about ratings and money. Unfortunatley, these are businesses and they want to make money.

I like the Caps too, but in this area, the Caps aren't as big of draw as the Redskins or Nats or even the Wizards. The Caps have been the most successful team in town over the last decade, but hockey just doesn't have as big of a following as the other sports. They probably have the most dedicated and knowledgable fans, but there just aren't many of them.

It's fraudulent and I bring that example up all the time. Him and cowherd. Trolls bring ratings. This is media in 2015.

I mean I am done with this machine. It's intolerable.

Also transient city is a ridiculous excuse. We have devoted fans in all major sports but it's a football town? I don't even follow United but their fans... And then you want to tell me this is a bad sports town? When those people live and die for the team? It's an absolute lie is what it is. There is no truth to this being a one sport town. None.

I think Grant and Danny do a good job of a few things

1. They know sports, and not just one sport but sports. Danny played baseball, Grant covered football and they're both interested in other sports. Sometimes basketball gets short sided, but I kinda understand that since somebody's gotta finish last.

2. They do a good job of asking general questions that aren't based on one sport, like "who are you more disappointed in, the Caps or the Wizards" or "Who is the most popular athlete in DC"

3. Their non-sports stories, while tending to fat lazy guys, tend to be more gender neutral and acceptable to everybody. Case in point is the "winning off the field" mentioned by somebody earlier or "what are you eating". We can all talk about that all day long. This is different than Junkies quizzes (which I love, but are sometimes difficult if you're not up on current events/movies) or Locker Room's trash talk (which gets too personal a lot of the times).

4. (And this is probably most important) You can tell that they are friends off the show. I get the idea that the Junkies were friends, but now aren't so much. because they have families and such, and as much as I love JP cursing out Cakes in the morning, it does lead to believe that there may be more hostility than they're letting on. Same goes for the other shows where it seems like just a bunch of guys assigned to the same office and told to go on the radio.

I'm shocked and insulted that anyone would dare have the nerve to imply this is a one sport city. I've never heard of anything so callous and IGNORANT in my life.

I hope grant and Danny live up to the hype but it's hard to be intellectual and run a sports show. Look at van pelt and russilo. Their show will be cancelled. Sports radio is about ratings. What gives ratings? People talking **** and acting like this city has one sports franchise. People acting like redskins are the only team that matters. You mean the same city where I see so many Cowboys fans? Are you kidding me? Redskins town?

Redskins are my team. But I love the caps and nats too. And I don't want to hear **** about the Redskins in the off-season. It's may. What could you POSSIBLY bring up about the skins in MAY?

There show won't go on because Van Pelt is getting his own SportsCenter/talk show. Again, SVP and Russilo are probably the best sports talk show on anywhere, but they don't just talk sports 24/7.

And yes, the Redskins do rule this town. The Sports Bog had a post not too long ago that talked about how they had more clicks on the Redskins schedule story than anything about the Caps/Wiz playoff runs.

And just to say, I'd love for the talk radio around here to spend more time on non-Redskins topics, especially in the offseason. But unfortunatley, that's what people want to hear/read.

In the end, I think the "this is a football town" is a lazy excuse. Other shows talk other sports, but they find ways to make it fun. The Junkies will not talk Caps/Nats/Wizards for like 2 weeks then do a segment on Wednesday morning at 7:10 and say "See, when we talk Caps, nobody calls in. This is why we never talk Caps". That's one thing I like about the Man Cave, they're actually discussing all 4 sports with the Skins getting about equal time (which makes Reid seem more tolerable). And unlike other shows in town, the ManCave talks national sports. Like I'm listening to Grant and Danny and they've almost completed their second hour of today and have not mentioned the Golden State / Houston game last night, though that's the biggest thing in sports right now.

And I wanted to mention that this town is a UMD/Va Tech/George Mason/UVA/Georgetown town, so college football and basketball which should probably get more airtime as well. At the same time the Skins were getting their dominance, Georgetown was winning the championship with John Thompson and Len Bias was about to go to Boston and dominate the NBA. So, I think that that's an untapped demographic until March Maddness. Even during the CF season, the Terps get no play though.

But why?

Why is it a football town or why spend so much time on the Skins?

I think it's a football town because the Skins have been here much longer than the other teams and as sad as it is to think, they've had the most success (can even say most recent because of the Super Bowl in 1991). The Wizards/Bullets have been here awhile, but for a good chunk just haven't been very good. The Caps are relatively new and until the last decade, have been an after thought in the city sports world. Baseball has a long history here, but a team has never seemed to be here for long. So of course the Skins are the team most people here can identify with because they've been here for so long.

As for why sports talk only talks about the Skins, well go back up to my 1st paragraph. They know when they mention RG3/Snyder/Redskins people will tune in. When you're judged by your ratings, you're going to stick with what works.

Again, I'd love for DC to become a top tier sports town like Boston, NY, Philly and Chicago. And I do believe being a transient town effects that. Also, having teams win more will help as well. The whole area was caught up in the playoffs for the Wiz and Caps. If we can add the Nats and Skins to that and have all 4 consistently in, things will change around here.

You're fighting a losing battle here. You're complaining about Redskins coverage on a Redskins message board

But why do they dominate

There's nothing wrong with them being popular. But it's the DISPARITY. The huge gap perception. As someone who is constantly out and about that graph should be more equalized. We care just as much about the nats and caps and even the Wiz. There is no disparity. This is a four sport town and three of those sports are pretty damn good. Said three have a strong following. It's not a one sport town. I don't see why we can't be like other towns. Are you telling me new York isn't a transplant city? We have transplants but we also have diehard local fans. And what's wrong with transplants who adopt this team here like nats and Wiz. People from Buffalo like luke russert become caps and nats fans. This city can be like Chicago or new York. I don't understand why we are singled out.

But why do they dominate

There's nothing wrong with them being popular. But it's the DISPARITY. The huge gap perception. As someone who is constantly out and about that graph should be more equalized. We care just as much about the nats and caps and even the Wiz. There is no disparity. This is a four sport town and three of those sports are pretty damn good. Said three have a strong following. It's not a one sport town. I don't see why we can't be like other towns. Are you telling me new York isn't a transplant city? We have transplants but we also have diehard local fans who adopt this team here like nats and Wiz. People from Buffalo like luke russert become caps and nats fans. This city can be like Chicago or new York. I don't understand why we are singled out.

Because the NFL is king right now. I know tons of people who really just pay attention to football and nothing else.

Also just look at history:

Redskins - been here since 1937

Bullets/Wizards - 1973

Capitals - 1974

Nationals - 2005

That's why you have so many more Redskins fans and they are the talk of the town. They've been here the longest. Also, when you look at it this way:

Redskins - last title 1991

Bullets/Wizards - 1979

Capitals - Never

Nationals - Never

People also follow winners. Sure the Skins haven't won in long time, but they have the most history of winning.

Nothing you said addresses the massive fan base I see every time I go to a caps or nats game. This is a four sport city like it or not.

I know people too who only know football and disappear in off-season. But they're not DC fans. I refuse to believe that there is a gap when everyone I know and see follows other sports when the skins season ends. In that aspect we are literally identical and just like every other city. Football ends, watch college basketball, NBA and hockey. Then baseball.

If I'm wrong and people don't care about sports other than football here, I apologize. But I have not seen that happen. Everyone I know is a fan of at least 3 of those 4 teams.

We talk about how DC sports need to support each other and the wizards and nats were at the caps game with redskins players. So this is not a redskins town. This is a four sport town where all our athletes cross over to support others. Period.

If I'm wrong and people don't care about sports other than football here, I apologize. But I have not seen that happen. Everyone I know is a fan of at least 3 of those 4 teams.

We talk about how DC sports need to support each other and the wizards and nats were at the caps game with redskins players. So this is not a redskins town. This is a four sport town where all our athletes cross over to support others. Period.

Yes, we have 4 sports here. But 1 team clearly dominates the sports talk/media around here. And it's obvious why. People love football. And the team has a long, rich history here.

Not saying it's right, but that's how it is.

That means nothing. They are the minority

Excuse me?

Also most people in this town follow more than one sport. Trust me on this. Redskins suck we complain. And I don't rant As much for other teams as I do for them. But after season ends do you honestly expect people to keep talking about it? You got 8 months of off-season. I love skins but that time is for other sports. This is common sense.

I don't have a problem with the skins being talked about. I never did. I just said we should talk something else for those other 8 months.

Again, I'm not sure what you're argument here is.

Are you saying there's more than 1 team in town? We all know that. And of course on a sports message board, you're going to see more people who are fans of multiple teams in town.

Are you saying other teams don't get coverage? They definitely do. Go listen to any of the local shows and you'll hear plenty about the Nats right now.

Are you mad because the Skins get talked about the most? So what, the NFL rules all right now so of course the local NFL team would get the most run.

Is it because DC isn't considered a "Sports Town"? Who cares what the media thinks

My argument has been crystal clear throughout.

All I'm saying is that we should talk other things during the other 8 months. And we do most of the time. But the Redskins always find their way in because this is an redskins town, even though we have 3 other teams with rabid fan base. That is my major gripe. THAT is what leonsis complained about which got me started. And he's right.

The junkies said it themselves that this was a redskins town. And I will never ever buy that argument as long as I live. CITY of four major sports a redskins town. Please.

We're a major sports city like NY and Chicago. Major enough to have two sports stations. Deal with it.

Lol dude, again, you're complaining about the coverage the Redskins get in this town on a Redskins message board. I don't think you're argument is going to go over too well here.

And yes it is a Redskins town 1st. People around here love the Redskins.

When did I say it was a problem? I have never taken umbrage to it. All I want is other talk about nats and that's not an issue.

I have no problem with the Redskins and you keep thinking I'm bashing them, I'm not. I'm bashing the sports talk hosts who think this is a one sport town. If you can't see that there's more than one sport in this town with rabid fan base I don't know what to tell you.

Archived