Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Discuss Coach Zorn's Strategies/Techniques/SWOT here

CRT3

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

He claimed he was blocked from seeing the clock. Is he only looking at the one on the field or does he even know there is one at the midlevel of the stadium? A coach making an excuse yet alone a former QB. Danny Smith did the right thing and Zorn was not upset at that, which is great but if he does not know there is a clock at midlevel of the stadium shouldn't he? Being aware of clock management is part of being a QB and a coach.

Coach Z maybe you should have a clock installed right next to your butt on the sidelines in order for you to be actually aware of the complete game. Not that this would help out his play calling but maybe an improvement in some part of the offense.

That sounds like a big fat excuse to me.

Zorn is still inexperienced as a head coach. A head coach has got to take command of everything going on - down and distance, clock, score, field position, playing calling, everything else. Maybe that'll come with more experience, but in that one moment, he lost track. Danny Smith saved his ass on that small but telling point.

It's worrying. Zorn just seems to look lost on the sidelines during games, his clock management has been called into question several times now. Not at all what I woiuld expect from a former QB.

I think part of the problem is people have over-inflated Zorn's history and skills. He was not that good of a QB, and his eye for talent and job working with QB's comes down to Matt Hasselbeck, who he didn't scout and who is the only QB that Zorn has supposedly made anything out of.

Could it be that MH was a good young QB that just happened to come into his own while Zorn had the title of QB coach? Because, there is nothing else on Zorn's resume to say he is good at what people say he is good at.

I think part of the problem is people have over-inflated Zorn's history and skills. He was not that good of a QB, and his eye for talent and job working with QB's comes down to Matt Hasselbeck, who he didn't scout and who is the only QB that Zorn has supposedly made anything out of.

Could it be that MH was a good young QB that just happened to come into his own while Zorn had the title of QB coach? Because, there is nothing else on Zorn's resume to say he is good at what people say he is good at.

You could be right, but I'd at least expect a former professional QB to know when to let the play clock run down and when to call a time out. It's laughable, he just seems to lose all sense of composure and situational awareness.

I heard that explination yesterday and thought the same thing. I think it's good when the coach has answers to questions, not excuses. The correct answer to that question was "I almost screwed up", not some BS excuse that isn't plausible to anyone who's ever been in an NFL stadium. Points back to some of the lack of accountability Zorn showed last year as well.

Could it be that MH was a good young QB that just happened to come into his own while Zorn had the title of QB coach?

Now that Zorn doesn't look too good, yeah. But its hard to say exactly how good a job he did as Seattle's QB coach based on how many wins the Redskins have with him as head coach. Apples to oranges.

It is funny how some of you all praised Zorn for being so honest and refreshing in the media much more so then Gibbs ever did and now when he is being honest it is now called excuses. :doh:

Ask yourself how many times you've heard a head coach in the NFL say he couldn't see how much time was on the play clock because he was being "blocked" and this is what contributed to clock mismanagement.

:doh:

I thought Zorn would get more comfortable in his second year, but he really looks like a fish out of water at times. Contrast him with Sparano last night, who is also a second year coach. Sparano looked in control.

LOL @ that. Sparano's "two minute drill" was the worst I have ever seen. They got the ball with 3:30 left and made it to about the opponent's 40 before the clock ran out!

It is funny how some of you all praised Zorn for being so honest and refreshing in the media much more so then Gibbs ever did and now when he is being honest it is now called excuses. :doh:

I do not believe I praised Zorn ever. Some information you should divulge to the public and for many reasons some you should not. Funny thing is the fact that he went for it twice on forth down with the lead and the Rams having NO TIMEOUTS speaks volumes towards his confidence in the Special Teams and Defensive units. Guess he was just being honest and refreshing there, huh.

Bazooka Smith damn near tackled Zorn to save that T.O. His excuse was lame at best. After the Giants game, when Zorn said that Brian Orakpo had a little 'ouchie' on his arm, I knew what this team was lacking. Can you imagine Billick, Tomlin, Holmgren, Etc. saying a player got an ouchie during the game? This team is soft because the coach is soft. We need a gritty tell it like it is, take no bs kind of coach to lead the skins. Zorn reminds me a lot of Gibbs with his mannerisms.

Hail

Zonr loves to hear himself talk. I can't stand his press conf, and speed through them, nothing he says is any different week in and week out. Excuses poor out of his mouth, and as far as the clock goes, just another indicator about how clueless he his.

That sounds like a big fat excuse to me.

Zorn is still inexperienced as a head coach. A head coach has got to take command of everything going on - down and distance, clock, score, field position, playing calling, everything else. Maybe that'll come with more experience, but in that one moment, he lost track. Danny Smith saved his ass on that small but telling point.

What Dan T. said..LOL

IMO that was a piss poor excuse for I f@cked up and I'm still over my head here people so lay off.

It seems like so far into Zorn's tenure with the Redskins, our offense, whether it has looked good or bad, has played pretty straight forward with opposing defenses.

It kind of reminds me of old-school football where every team seemed to know what every other team had planned, it was just up to the better team to execute.

Of course the old days are done and over. In this era of football, you don't see these super-teams where they are just so above and beyond everyone else that they can just line up and telegraph everything they are going to do and still have success.

Our most popular play seems to be the HB Toss Left play. So my question is, why in the hell haven't we come up with a fake of that play.

I could see us lining up Cooley on the side of the run, and Fred Davis on the other side. You run the play like you usually would, except you fake the toss, and hopefully by this time the linebackers have vacated enough space trying to pursue Portis, that it leaves Fred Davis open.

Just simple things like that, which will make opposing defenses have to question what defensive formation they choose to use on any given down.

Also, the WR Screen(although we don't seem to use it nearly as much as in the Gibbs 2.0 years) Never understood why we didn't develop a fake for that play either, where the WR on the other side of the field or TE would run downfield.

Thoughts? Do we use enough confusion in our offense?

Archived