Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: American Indians look to high court (Merged)

21MadFan

I'm Lumbee Indian and my tribe is from Lumberton, N.C. I'm not the least bit offended and wish these people will get over it already. I wonder about their motive$, but even if it did offend them in some small way, get over it, sticks and stones, sticks and stones.
I appreciate your perspective. Thanks for sharing it with everyone here.

The chances the supreme court takes this case on is roughly zero.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins#Logos_and_uniforms

"But in 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the prior poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions."

This is the first time I've heard of this.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474771

A lawyer for the group says he'd like to see the court decide once and for all whether the Redskins name defames Native Americans.

The ONLY context the word Redskins(s) is used today and even 50 years ago is when talking about the Washington Redskins football team. Has ANYONE EVER used or HEARD anyone use the term Redskin(s) as a pejorative or in any other context other than the football team? There is contradictory evidence on both sides as to how this term was used hundreds of years ago. So in the year 2009, where many natives say it doesn't bother them or they like the image the Redskins present (not of late though :D), I can see no way how this term "defames" American Indians today. IMO.

I just don't think the logo is what they are after.

I see the argument, but this could open the doors to limiting free speech in some way, if the courts decide that the term "Redskins" is deemed derogatory. it is such a subjective issue.

That being said, I would have no problem removing the Indian head logo. I think the imagery of the logo is in part what defines the term "Redskin" to some American Natives who are against it... maybe not having the Indian head logo as THE visual representation of the redskins franchise, would be a fair compromise?

My grandfather was 1/4 Cherokee, and he was a huge Redskins fan and use to talk about how much pride he had that the Nation's capital (the most powerful city in the world) used this Native American symbol to represent part of our American culture today, as well as a symbol of strength, pride and courage.

We cannot erase the past, we must embrace it and learn from it, and accept it and become better for it. Ok I'm rambling now.

could you douchebags stop calling them "Indians" and stick to Americans or "Native" Americans. THEY ARE NOT FROM THE COUNTRY OF INDIA and if dumbass Christopher Columbus didn't think he was India when he landed here, we would not be calling them that.

PS. If people find the name offensive, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to hear them out and truly investigate a name change. I'm a washingtonian, and I will support my team.

could you douchebags stop calling them "Indians" and stick to Americans or "Native" Americans. THEY ARE NOT FROM THE COUNTRY OF INDIA and if dumbass Christopher Columbus didn't think he was India when he landed here, we would not be calling them that.

PS. If people find the name offensive, I don't think it would be the worst thing in the world to hear them out and truly investigate a name change. I'm a washingtonian, and I will support my team.

Take a deep breath bud, no one means any offense. I will be sure to use the preferred nomenclature in formal documents, but I could care less on ES. While you're at it, should we stop calling people "Black" and say "African American"? Talk about the liberal PC police...

Why am I sooo not shocked that the above thought was followed by the one below??

Could you please stop calling fans of the Washington Redskins douchebags?

Why do you say that? Educate me on the topic friend.

Who was Buffalo Bill, and how did he make his name?

He slaughtered buffalo wholesale. He's responsible for killing thousands of him on his own, and tens of thousands with his crew.

In almost every history of Native Americans that there is, the decimation of the buffalo is listed as a major contributing factor to the destruction of their way of life.

The Bills not only name themselves after this guy who helped destroy the Native way of life, but they add insult to injury by depicting the animal he helped hunt to near extinction on the side of their helmet.

What a slap in the face.

That's why I say that until they figure out what is TRULY offensive, I don't care about them reaching for low hanging fruit for money or fame. Because they have yet to do so (to my knowledge), then it becomes painfully obvious that their motivations are not to stop an insult.

~Bang

The ONLY context the word Redskins(s) is used today and even 50 years ago is when talking about the Washington Redskins football team. Has ANYONE EVER used or HEARD anyone use the term Redskin(s) as a pejorative or in any other context other than the football team? There is contradictory evidence on both sides as to how this term was used hundreds of years ago. So in the year 2009, where many natives say it doesn't bother them or they like the image the Redskins present (not of late though :D), I can see no way how this term "defames" American Indians today. IMO.

The Iron Maiden song "Run to the Hills" mentions the term Redskins, but that's about all I've heard.

I get why the name SEEMS racist, but Native Americans don;t actually have red skin, and I have never in my life heard somone or heard of someone using redskin as a derogatory term. If it was that big of a deal to most Native Americans, which the polls as another poster posted in here confirm it isn;t, then I doubt we would have had an American Indian head coach under that name.

I understand the Celeveland Indians being offensive. Native Americans aren't Indians, the madcot has a cartoonish face and is named "Chief Knock-a-homer". I can understand going after the Buffalo Bills.

But going after a team name that isn't actually racist, but was originally named the Boston Braves, as many football teams back then kept the names of the baseball teams in the cities they played for, in part as marketing strategy, then was changed to the Redskins shortly before they moved to Washington, in honor of our Native American head coach (at least according to Marshall).

The intent isn't there, and proper prioritization would typically dictate that you'd go after the very offensive teams, like the Bills or Cleveland Indians. Some people see "redskin" and assume racism without every learning the history.

Archived