Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: American Indians look to high court (Merged)

21MadFan

Searched on here but couldnt find this article posted. Sorry If it has

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474771

WASHINGTON -- A group of American Indians who find the Washington Redskins name offensive wants the Supreme Court to take up the matter.

The group late Monday asked the justices to review a lower court decision that favored the NFL team on a legal technicality.

The seven Native Americans have been working through the court system since 1992 to have the Redskins trademarks declared invalid. A U.S. Patent and Trademark Office panel ruled in their favor in 1999, but they've since suffered a series of defeats from judges who ruled that the plaintiffs waited too long to bring their suit in the first place.

A lawyer for the group says he'd like to see the court decide once and for all whether the Redskins name defames Native Americans.

I believe I read somewhere that the number of American Indians who find the name offensive is very small and that they represent a vast minority of the population.

My personal opinion is that, at worst, we may eventually have to replace the Indian-head logo with something else (spear, feathers, etc.) but I'm not even sure that will happen.

I'm Lumbee Indian and my tribe is from Lumberton, N.C. I'm not the least bit offended and wish these people will get over it already. I wonder about their motive$, but even if it did offend them in some small way, get over it, sticks and stones, sticks and stones.

I'm Lumbee Indian and my tribe is from Lumberton, N.C. I'm not the least bit offended and wish these people will get over it already. I wonder about their motive$, but even if it did offend them in some small way, get over it, sticks and stones, sticks and stones.

Well, I don't have a problem if anyone is truly offended and would never tell an offended person to "get over it" if they are being truthful. I just think you have to be careful about catering to a vast minority of a given population. I have heard stories (isolated ones) of American Indians who take pride in teams like the Redskins being named as such. You don't want to lose that either.

We'll see...this has been on-going for almost 20 years now, so I'm pretty confident we won't see a major turnaround in this case.

I believe I read somewhere that the number of American Indians who find the name offensive is very small and that they represent a vast minority of the population.

My personal opinion is that, at worst, we may eventually have to replace the Indian-head logo with something else (spear, feathers, etc.) but I'm not even sure that will happen.

I think the name would go first. I bet if anything we'd go to being the Warriors. Also, vast minority is a contradiction.

I think the name would go first. I bet if anything we'd go to being the Warriors. Also, vast minority is a contradiction.

Thanks for the correction. It's a small minority of the population of American Indians. I think most got the point.

I think the name Redskins is safe. I could see them compromising by removing the logo. Who knows though.

Searched on here but couldnt find this article posted. Sorry If it has

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4474771

WASHINGTON -- A group of American Indians who find the Washington Redskins name offensive wants the Supreme Court to take up the matter.

The group late Monday asked the justices to review a lower court decision that favored the NFL team on a legal technicality.

The seven Native Americans have been working through the court system since 1992 to have the Redskins trademarks declared invalid. A U.S. Patent and Trademark Office panel ruled in their favor in 1999, but they've since suffered a series of defeats from judges who ruled that the plaintiffs waited too long to bring their suit in the first place.

A lawyer for the group says he'd like to see the court decide once and for all whether the Redskins name defames Native Americans.

Redskins is about as much a slur against Native Americans as Patriots is to white people. It just makes no sense.

Sure, the original Patriots were white (it was the 1700s). Sure, the original Redskins were Native Americans (it was the 1600s). Forcing race into a non-race issue just makes the complaint sound disingenuous.

Complain about the Buffalo Bills and I might take them seriously,, but since they don't seem to understand why that name should be the MOST offensive name to them, then screw them. If it was really about sensitivity and not money, the Bills would be at the top of their hit list.

~Bang

Complain about the Buffalo Bills and I might take them seriously,, but since they don't seem to understand why that name should be the MOST offensive name to them, then screw them. If it was really about sensitivity and not money, the Bills would be at the top of their hit list.

~Bang

Why do you say that? Educate me on the topic friend.

~Bang

Here's who they are named after: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Frederick_%22Buffalo_Bill%22_Cody

I don't think it's offensive, and I hope the Redskins do not have to change their name. Having said that, I wonder if we reverted back to the R design on the helmet if it would calm some folks down (just by taking the Indian Chief logo off the helmet).

Something like the below image could help, but just make it burgundy with a gold R:

%2770-71%20redskins.jpg

Archived