Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: American Indians look to high court (Merged)

21MadFan

Im not ignorant......what if it offensive to some ...you dont know that for sure.

What have the Redskins done for you to be so passionate about keeping their name. Im and always will be a fan but if the name changes it changes big deal im not sweating it.

Do you know the origins? Obviously,you don't; hence, you are IGNORANT!!! Knowledge is a good thing.

I can understand if native americans can find it offensive but cant understand why everyone does not. People can up with a million ways on saying that it's not offensive but the bottom line is it IS offending the native americans whether its a small amount or large amount of native americans. We are not native americans so really cant talk smack about this issue. Im filipino and if someone called me a gook or chink I would be pissed to.

the depth of arrogance in this snippet is mind boggling...

I don't know...

- maybe everyone doesn't share your value system

- maybe everyone isn't inclined to your fascist instincts

- maybe everyone isn't inclined to chaining least minute details of life to every minority set of interests & values

- maybe some of us realize that the effort to control language and expression is what is really at stake

- maybe some of us realize that there can be NO STANDARD for what you are proposing

- maybe some of us realize culture is stratifed and that there can never be any "fair" standard established when it comes to langauge

- maybe...just maybe.....most of us are adults and understand where the dividing line really falls.....can separate symbolism from intention...

AND...MAYBE...MANY OF US... DON'T WANT AN ALREADY SCREWED UP GOVERNMENT INTRUDING YET MORE DEEPLY INTO OUR LIVES AND SOCIETY.

the depth of arrogance in this snippet is mind boggling...

I don't know...

- maybe everyone doesn't share your value system

- maybe everyone isn't inclined to your fascist instincts

- maybe everyone isn't inclined to chaining least minute details of life to every minority set of interests & values

- maybe some of us realize that the effort to control language and expression is what is really at stake

- maybe some of us realize that there can be NO STANDARD for what you are proposing

- maybe some of us realize culture is stratifed and that there can never be any "fair" standard established when it comes to langauge

- maybe...just maybe.....most of us are adults and understand where the dividing line really falls.....can separate symbolism from intention...

AND...MAYBE...MANY OF US... DON'T WANT AN ALREADY SCREWED UP GOVERNMENT INTRUDING YET MORE DEEPLY INTO OUR LIVES AND SOCIETY.

Hey man relax it was my opinion no need for name calling .

I would not say ignorant but maybe misinformed but thanks for the name calling .

out of curiousity....you don't think some women might find your little booty video....ummmm.....offensive? perhaps some parents with kids who happen to frequent ES? sorry...some of us ESers are gonna file a class action against you and ES......

Thanks for the correction. It's a small minority of the population of American Indians. I think most got the point.

I think the name Redskins is safe. I could see them compromising by removing the logo. Who knows though.

Actually, if you really think about it, the logo is less offensive than the name.

This is making me hate native americans.

Don't let that happen. All native american people I've ever met are good people. This is just the very small minority of them that are trying to make some money on the redskins and this is there only way. They use the racist excuse to try and make people think they care, but all they want is to get their greedy hands on that redskins product that sells so good every year.

Yeah I'm not going to actually hold it against anyone. I know the lady specifically who is pushing this show along and she's a big B.

I was mocking the fact they want to remove the images and name because it is causing racism by insinuating that they are the ones causing racism by attacking my football team. ;d

I have always taken the position that the designation "redskins" coupled with the helmet logo displaying a charicature of a Native American is arguably demeaning because it associates people of that origin with a "skin color" and therefore is a "racist" epithet. It should be removed (the Helmet Logo) because it does not have to be used and there are many other non-offending symbols to choose among such as an axe, arrow, or teepee, for example.

The "redskins" uniform has also become associated with the word "loser" and therefore the Helmet Logo should be changed for this additonal reason.

I would not say ignorant but maybe misinformed but thanks for the name calling .

Ignorant is not "name calling." It doesn't mean stupid; it means lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact.

I'm ignorant about many things, as all people are. For instance, I'm ignorant on how to get rid of that ring around the collar of my older dress shirts.

Once again, knowledge is your friend.

I have always taken the position that the designation "redskins" coupled with the helmet logo displaying a charicature of a Native American is arguably demeaning because it associates people of that origin with a "skin color" and therefore is a "racist" epithet. It should be removed (the Helmet Logo) because it does not have to be used and there are many other non-offending symbols to choose among such as an axe, arrow, or teepee, for example.

ok, i admit it. i didnt get that. native americans do have a brown hue to their skin, generally speaking. i dont know if i'd say that the skins logo is a caricature- as a caricature is a pic exaggerating features like you get someone to draw for you at kings dominion, etc. i'm not sure how you get to 'racist epithet'.

or was that a joke???? sorry if i missed it.

i would argue that an axe, arrow or even a teepee is more controversial, as you could say it depicts native americans as violent or saying that they all still live in teepees.

ok, i admit it. i didnt get that. native americans do have a brown hue to their skin, generally speaking. i dont know if i'd say that the skins logo is a caricature- as a caricature is a pic exaggerating features like you get someone to draw for you at kings dominion, etc. i'm not sure how you get to 'racist epithet'.

or was that a joke???? sorry if i missed it.

i would argue that an axe, arrow or even a teepee is more controversial, as you could say it depicts native americans as violent or saying that they all still live in teepees.

exactly. An axe, teepee or spear would create a stigma and the logo is not a caricature. A caricature is something like chief Wahoo of the Cleveland Indians. Our logo is a nicely done logo that looks almost exactly like the man on the Buffalo nickel which was created from an actual model.

bufb37o.jpgredskins_logo.jpg

Archived