Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins statement regarding season tickets, brokers

themurf

As you all know by now, the Washington Post has a story in today's paper addressing the topic of season tickets and brokers.

Here is a statement from the team addressing the topic.

From Redskins General Counsel David Donovan: "The bottom line is, tickets got into the hands of brokers in violation of our longstanding policy to make tickets directly available only to our fans. When the Redskins discovered the abuse, broker contracts were terminated. Employees in the ticket office were disciplined and some were fired. We’ve taken steps to make sure this doesn’t happen again."

I buy it and if you strip away all the words in the Post article it does come down to this. Some people in the ticket office were getting tickets to brokers "under the table." The team found out about it and shut it, and the employees, down.

This has happened in the past with at least two other teams that I know of: the Browns and Pittsburg a few years back.

I buy it and if you strip away all the words in the Post article it does come down to this. Some people in the ticket office were getting tickets to brokers "under the table." The team found out about it and shut it, and the employees, down.

This has happened in the past with at least two other teams that I know of: the Browns and Pittsburg a few years back.

Very true.

I don't buy it. If that were the case then how come 217 (at least) seats aren't available to "fans" on the "waiting list"

BS!

What makes you think that they weren't? Remember, this was taken care of in the past, probably when we heard about those firings back at the beginning of the year. Those tickets probably have long been released.

Are you people serious?!! Blame the messenger. What would make ANYONE think the Redskins wouldn't do this? As the article states, the brokers were told to buy club seats in order to get the others. This, along with revoking tickets one year then teaming up with Stubhub are all you need to know. Why would they care if there are 92,000 Redskins fans or 92,000 Steelers fans so long as there are fans who paid for the seats and who will then buy Snyder's $9 hamburger and $8 beers.

I got the offer to add seats and I took it. I guess I have battered fan syndrome or no matter how much Snyder pisses on us, we will still be fans. Don't be mindless sycophants though.

Are you people serious?!! Blame the messenger. What would make ANYONE think the Redskins wouldn't do this? As the article states, the brokers were told to buy club seats in order to get the others. This, along with revoking tickets one year then teaming up with Stubhub are all you need to know. Why would they care if there are 92,000 Redskins fans or 92,000 Steelers fans so long as there are fans who paid for the seats and who will then buy Snyder's $9 hamburger and $8 beers.

I got the offer to add seats and I took it. I guess I have battered fan syndrome or no matter how much Snyder pisses on us, we will still be fans. Don't be mindless sycophants though.

Because Snyder believe it or not is a Redskins fan. (He was before he became the owner.)

He may not be the best owner but I absolutely believe that he would not (willingly) allow this to happen.

You want to believe that, but it's just not the case. The only color Dan roots for is green.

I know you were just expressing yourself, but I would call this a blatant distortion of the truth.

Dan does want the Skins to win. I fully and totally believe that. Just because you don't agree with his methods in general (and I don't) doesn't change that fact.

Now, does he also want to make $$$ while doing that. Yes. But don't take away the fact that we do have a fan as an owner. That has a lot of good and bad to it, but it's still the - in my opinion pretty obvious - truth.

Ever since I made it off the season-ticket wait list last year and bought tickets, and then had to cancel them this year due to the economic downturn, the Skins' ticket sales process has seemed fishy to me, to say the least. I didn't renew my tickets, but they still call me all the time, trying to sell me non-club seats? If the season ticket list is nonexistent these days, as it seems to be, the Redskins should just be up front about it, instead of trying to create this image of a "7 year waiting list" and all the confusion it creates.

They'd be wise to realize that a lot of diehard, hard-working Skins fans just don't have the patience or the money to put up with the various hassles of the FedEx Experience and instead would just rather watch the games at home. Once they accept that, maybe they can begin improving the current stadium or get to work on a new one.

Is it possible that the reclamation of many of those unauthorized broker seats were reflected in the seemingly large amount of people who got called for the first time off the wait list this off-season? I don't remember the last off-season where I heard about so many "first timers".

Is it possible that the reclamation of many of those unauthorized broker seats were reflected in the seemingly large amount of people who got called for the first time off the wait list this off-season? I don't remember the last off-season where I ehard about so many "first timers".

Doubtful. I know many people in my section gave up their seats. Others had to tighten the purse strings thanks to the economy AND the seats being offered to new people were all upstairs.

Doubtful. I know many people in my section gave up their seats. Others had to tighten the purse strings thanks to the economy AND the seats being offered to new people were all upstairs.

There were a good chunk of upgrades to the LL from what I understand too, this season.

There were a good chunk of upgrades to the LL from what I understand too, this season.

No one I know and I knew people who called directly to ask. Regardless, this whole thing is just par for the course from the team. I hope we at least got new rabbit ears on the 27 inch monitors they call big screens.

No one I know and I knew people who called directly to ask. Regardless, this whole thing is just par for the course from the team. I hope we at least got new rabbit ears on the 27 inch monitors they call big screens.

There are 4 I know personally that were upgraded to the LL from the UL. Many others posted they were, but I don't know them in real life. As a matter of fact 3 of the 4 I know which includes me were all able to move to the same LL section.

As a recently new season ticket holder, I have been offered this year alone 3 times to buy additional seats. They told me that if I did buy additional seats that there would be a greater likelyhood of moving down.

Last year they asked if I wanted to go to the lower bowl, but that would require a long term commitment and there were additional prices attached to going on down there. I have been saying for the last few years that the Redskins have been selling tickets on the secondary market and it is totally disingenuous of Dan Snyder and his associates to say otherwise. If there is such huge demand for season tickets, why would they ask me three times this year alone to buy additional seats? If there was such great demand why not get someone off the waiting list? I only waited about less than 5 years to get tickets. They probably looked at my income and slid me up the list, when it should have went ot people who were ahead of me. Dan snyder can say what he wants about this, but I would not be surprised if there were an investigation from congress and other law enforcement bodies about this.

I have also stated to other people that I don't know how legitimate it is for the team to sell tickets to outlets like stubhub and then gain sponsorship from them and get profits as well. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

but I would not be surprised if there were an investigation from congress and other law enforcement bodies about this.

I have also stated to other people that I don't know how legitimate it is for the team to sell tickets to outlets like stubhub and then gain sponsorship from them and get profits as well. It will be interesting to see how this all shakes out.

Congress? Really? Seems like an important enough matter :doh:.

The NFL may have rules and regulations on the issue, but I am pretty sure it is perfectly allowable from a legal standpoint for the team to sell their tickets to whoever they want...including brokers. I'm not saying we as fans should like it, but let's not take this too far and blow it out of proportion into something it is not.

Can someone break this whole process down in laymen's terms for me? I've been a Skins fan my entire life, but only in the last couple years when I lived on the east coast was I finally able to make it to a few games live. I put my name on the "seven year waiting list" but have received multiple calls trying to sell me season tickets for in the ballpark of around $2K/seat. These calls are from a resell broker, correct? Because every Skins game I've been to, I've been able to scoop up tickets 10-15 rows back for about $200/ticket - why would I want to spend $2K on 8 home games ($250/ticket) for worse seats? The whole process left me confused...

Archived