Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I am 40 years old.

Baculus

Alright, I actually turned 40-years old a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to post something then, but apparently senility kicked it and I forgot to do that, so I will do it now.

It felt strange turning 40. I remember turning 30 and repeating the lame joke, "If I was in Logan's Run, my hand crystal would be turning black. Ha-ha," to anyone unlucky to hear my crappy humor.

But 40? It was weird. Probably because I haven't yet achieved what I wanted to do so. I still have a lot of time left, half a life almost by statistics, but I know "my youth" is being left in the dustbin of history each day that I age.

I know -- to those older than me, your thought is probably "buck-up, kiddo," but it was still a slightly depressing age to attain, none-the-less. (And partially because I don't feel 40-years old at all.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on aging and that sort of thing? (Please, no discussion of "death panels!")

aging for women is different than men, for some obvious reasons. I have 5.5 years to reach 40, and I don't have any grey hair yet. People tell me I look mid/late 20's- so I usually don't fret over it. For me its stuff like hearing my fav rock song from highschool...on the Classic Rock channel. Or watching Nick at Night classic reruns, which used to show black and white sitcoms from the 60's, and now have shows I grew up watching.

Age bring maturity, usually. Brings more life knowledge. I wouldnt' go back to any prior age, and am happy to be as "old" as I am. But you are still older:silly:

happy Birthday & stay healthy:cheers:

You shouldn't be depressed, you should be happy you made it this far. Just think, 2000 years ago (a mere blip on the overall scale of things) people barely passed age 35. Be happy you were able to reach this age, and celebrate the fact that you probably have as much time still on this earth. I hope I make it to 40 myself.

cheers :)

I didn't feel any different, but I did say "Wow, I'm 40 friggin' years old." It was then that I decided to challenge myself and started exercising and eating healthy. I'm 40 LBS lighter then I was two years ago. I figured it be great to look good when I'm 50 while everyone else is putting on the LBS so I will continue to do what I'm doing.

I refuse to sit around and "get old."

It's something that you push to the back of your mind most of the time. Then one day,realization comes crashing down on your head in the form of your birthday. No running from it then. I turned 47 a few weeks ago,I sympathize. I don't feel 47,but then I've never been told or seen the rules about how I am supposed to feel. You can sit around and think about the things not yet done,relive the bad decisions,and generally make yourself miserable or you can simply face the fact that this aging thing is part of the deal and make the best of the time you have here. Celebrate the good things in your life to this point and look at each b-day from here on out as a new beginning. Yet another year you have to do that much more. It's only as big of a deal as you make it.

"All We Have to Decide Is What to Do With the Time That Is Given to Us."

Turning 40 didn't bother me ,it's those 1/4 century marks that seem more significant to me.:silly:

Turning 25 and now closing on 50 are sorta dreaded moments for me.

It is good you consider 40 only half way though,I tend to spend time wondering what I won't see or do.

Miss Universe being younger than my kids ain't helping none either;)

Turning 40 didn't bother me ,it's those 1/4 century marks that seem more significant to me.:silly:

Turning 25 and now closing on 50 are sorta dreaded moments for me.

It is good you consider 40 only half way though,I tend to spend time wondering what I won't see or do.

Miss Universe being younger than my kids ain't helping none either;)

Tell you one thing, turning 50 does suck. At least I still can bench more than King Gibbs. :D

aging for women is different than men, for some obvious reasons. I have 5.5 years to reach 40, and I don't have any grey hair yet. People tell me I look mid/late 20's- so I usually don't fret over it. For me its stuff like hearing my fav rock song from highschool...on the Classic Rock channel. Or watching Nick at Night classic reruns, which used to show black and white sitcoms from the 60's, and now have shows I grew up watching.
You think THAT'S odd? Try seeing Home Improvement and Fresh Prince on Nick at Nite :wtf:

I'll be 40 next year and my first thought is that you are only as old as you feel... I feel 25.

As of now, I'm where I wanted to be when I was 20, I'm a teacher, a Varsity baseball coach and I'm a father. What gets me is that I wasted way to much time getting to where I am. Its scary to think that i could have already been a teacher for 15 years or so. I think back to when I was younger and how everything seemed too far away, now I have lots of regrets over choices I made, but at the same time, what counts is that I made it.

Alright, I actually turned 40-years old a couple of weeks ago and I wanted to post something then, but apparently senility kicked it and I forgot to do that, so I will do it now.

It felt strange turning 40. I remember turning 30 and repeating the lame joke, "If I was in Logan's Run, my hand crystal would be turning black. Ha-ha," to anyone unlucky to hear my crappy humor.

But 40? It was weird. Probably because I haven't yet achieved what I wanted to do so. I still have a lot of time left, half a life almost by statistics, but I know "my youth" is being left in the dustbin of history each day that I age.

I know -- to those older than me, your thought is probably "buck-up, kiddo," but it was still a slightly depressing age to attain, none-the-less. (And partially because I don't feel 40-years old at all.)

Does anyone have any thoughts on aging and that sort of thing? (Please, no discussion of "death panels!")

A week from Saturday I'll be joining you in the 40 club.

I'm not dreading 40...I'm starting to exercise a lot more...and enjoying the present a lot more instead of thinking how great things used to be (except where the Redskins are concerned :mad: ) and I feel like things are coming into focus for me...my doctor is even giving me a present..he said for the next 10 years my prostate exams will be done through my blood work.

The only thing that upsets me...I know I will hear a lot of joked and I'm actually looking forward to them...the one person who should be letting me have it with both barrells...died in 2002...my older brother. That is the only thing that makes me sad about it all...but that taught me not to take the relationships in my life for granted anymore.

We can tell you all the advice in the world the bottom line is this though: what are you prepared to do with it? Do you choose to live your life as a gift and make the most of it...or do you choose to just take it easy and do nothing.

The choice is yours...whatever choice you make though...let it be your choice...not a choice dictated by circumstance or any other junk...but let it be yours.

Archived