Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Hardest Rocking women's band?

Forehead

SO I was playing online poker tonight and playing music videos on YouTube in the background. Mostly 80's stuff, it was what I was in the mood for. Anyway, "Alone" by Heart came on, and after listening to it two or eight times, I realized that Heart may be the hardest rocking chick band ever. They rule.

*Cue ten replies of "no way, this obscure local band that me and my ten dip**** emo friends know about rocks so much more*

Spare me. I'm talking about mainstream bands here. Off the top of my head (admittedly, I only thought about this for 15 seconds) the only women I could think of who rocked close to as much as Heart did were Chrissie Hynde from the Pretenders and that Storm Large chick from the reality show with Tommy Lee and Dave Mustaine. And they're both disqualifies because they were the only women in the band.

For a band that's at least predominately women and mainstream, can anyone challenge Heart for hardest rockers. I defy you to name any.*

*Not including Joan Jett, I just thought of her. She'd be stiff competition, but screw it, I'm still going with Heart.

Sleater-Kinney was a really badass female-fronted indie rock band from Portland. They split as a band around 2006, but they were great. Here's a clip of their song "Jumpers," live on Letterman:

The Detroit Cobras do old rockabilly stuff, but with a badass, whiskey-voiced female singer. Here's "Bad Girl":

And the Yeah Yeah Yeahs. Karen O is a fantastically badass front woman. Here's "Y Control":

yeah- Heart has got to be up there, if not #1.. I've been listening to them since the mid 80's. If you think women rockers, or just bands...there are a lot of other names- I think of Pat Benatar, even Cher- Chrissy Hyndes..many of the ones already mentioned.

I'm still thinking though- what women band could outrock Heart?

The Pandoras were a cool 1980s all-girl garage punk band from Southern California. Their first two albums, 1984's "It's About Time" and 1986's "Stop Pretending" are both awesome. Then the group went in a more heavy metal direction with 1988's "Rock Hard" and disbanded soon after.

The classic Pandoras line-up was guitarist/vocalist Paula Pierce, keyboardist Melanie Vammen, bassist Kim Shuttuck and drummer Karen Blankfeld.

Here's "You Don't Satisfy," one of my favorite Pandoras songs:

The Pandoras were a cool 1980s all-girl garage punk band from Southern California. Their first two albums, 1984's "It's About Time" and 1986's "Stop Pretending" are both awesome. Then the group went in a more heavy metal direction with 1988's "Rock Hard" and disbanded soon after.

The classic Pandoras line-up was guitarist/vocalist Paula Pierce, keyboardist Melanie Vammen, bassist Kim Shuttuck and drummer Karen Blankfeld.

Here's "You Don't Satisfy," one of my favorite Pandoras songs:

I hadn't heard of them, this recording doesn't seem very high quality though, I can barely understand the singer. I think part of the appeal of Heart is that besides rocking the hell out of everything, Ann Wilson can flat out sing.

Babes In Toyland

Babes in Toyland were an American punk rock band formed in Minneapolis, Minnesota in 1987. Between 1989 and 1995 the band recorded three studio albums, and were associated with grunge music. Though never a part of the riot grrrl scene, media quickly mislabeled their music (and that of other aggressive female-fronted bands) as such.[1] Members included Kat Bjelland (guitar and lead vocals), Lori Barbero (drums) and Michelle Leon (bass), who was replaced by Maureen Herman in 1992.

The band achieved notoriety through Bjelland's "baby doll" image--sometimes referred to as the kinderwhore look--which contrasted dramatically with the raw power of her singing voice and her aggressive lyrics. They have had many members including Courtney Love as a bassist

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babes_in_Toyland_(band)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPzpYfXQ-3U

This thread is full of really really wussy girls....

It is now. ;)

Janis was definitely a Rocking Gal for the time. Pat Benetar certainly was as was Joan Jett. Heart was/is probably closer to being a "women's" band than they though. As pop and women's bands go,the Bangles and the Go Go's had their moments.

Heart will always be a favorite. I remember when they hit the scene back in the 70's. "Dude! Those chicks rock!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bt_-R5LInU&feature=related

So do you put the Yeah Yeah Yeah's and the other names you mentioned ahead of Heart? And Cycle sluts from Hell isn't exactly mainstream, how long were they even a band?

Absolutely I'd place the YYY's ahead of Heart. Karen O is infinitely more hardcore than that fat chick.

I'm gonna go against Phowards anti local band thing and nominating Niki Barr. Might not be the most rockingest of all time, but if you're in the DMV she puts on a great show. Won DC101's last band standing.

http://nikibarr.com/

All time, probably gonna have to go with Heart.

I can't believe no one has mentioned the Runaways. Though people have mentioned Joan Jett, so that counts for something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQYWqYpoLPU

And no Wendy O. Williams? Total disappointment.

Archived