Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Random Thought Thread (Stadium Edition)

Toe Jam

I can agree that the sanchez stuff was a cover to try and get rak to fall....they did have a huge man crush on him and I heard rack on serius radio the week b4 the draft saying after he met with the danny he really wanted to be a redskin....but the cutler thing was legit espn had set up a satelite feed with us bc the deal was done b4 chicago swept in and grabbed him

I wouldn't say there's NO QB controversy. Jason has to perform or he's gone. I have no doubt that they tried to trade JC for Cutler. Maybe the Sanchez talk was more fluff than anything. But I don't think it's as much a ruse as you say.

Oh I agree. This is a make or break year for him..

As much as I would like for this to be true, why wouldn't the Skins have admitted this after signing Orakpo to avoid all media coverage of Snyder trying to get rid of Campbell, etc.

Why? Everyone knows the redskins are crazy.. Let them continue to think that?

There may be some validity in your theory but you have to ask yourself can Campbell step up and deliver. The Pats game is his time to shut up all the critics.

I am hoping Jason does just that. People want see the real Jason Campbell embrace this offense. We have enough talent to catch and run the ball, and we can pick up the blitzes.

Edited by angel2

There may be validity in your theory but you have to ask yourself can Campbell set up and deliver. The Pats game is his time to shut up all the critics.

I am hoping Jason does just that. People want see the real Jason Campbell to step up now.

Oh I agree.. This team is giving him every chance to succeed, now he just needs to go out there and perform

Yeah this is pretty a lame milestone post.

Basically, somebody pointed out something about Zorn. It is so good that I won't post about it until I am sure it could be right. If I talk about it now and it is wrong I will look stupid. I might look stupid by not saying anything, but at least I am not wrong and stupid.

Or you could just post it now and if you look stupid, well, its the internet, nobody cares.

I have said in the past that I felt that the pursuit of Cutler was genuine, but the talk of Sanchez was for show.

The Redskins talked up a lot of offensive prospects before the draft. There may have been some thinking to bring a lot of attention to offensive prospects and trades for them in an attempt to cause a run on them and get a couple of teams to move up and get someone they covet.

It might've worked some. Like the Raiders surprisingly taking Bey.

That way, a player the Redskins REALLY wanted, like Orakpo, fell to them.

That sounds like the work of an evil genius. :) But I feel that the Redskins were trying to manipulate things to an extent.

Another thread trying to justify JC.

I guess we went after Cutler to force another team into giving up all their draft picks so they couldn't select Orakpo as well.

In other news it's been determined that Hoffa shot JFK.:readnews::jerk::shot:

Interestingly, the Bears did give up their first round pick in 2009 for Cutler, and the Bears do love to draft defensive players..

Who knows, maybe the OP is on to something ;)

No way,

Sanchez was first choice, Orakpo was second choice. I think we loved both.

I think Vinny & co really thought we couldn't get either. The price for Sanchez was too steep, & Orakpo would be gone in the top ten.

Once Orakpo started to slip, we got lucky. We even tried to flip with the Broncos at #12 just to make sure.

As much as I would like for this to be true, why wouldn't the Skins have admitted this after signing Orakpo to avoid all media coverage of Snyder trying to get rid of Campbell, etc.

Because that would pretty much negate any possibility that they use the same tactic in the future, just from a strategy viewpoint that would be the worst thing they could've done, IMO. However, maybe they DID just that, when they brought out the Orakpo jersey, or when Vinny said they were never seriously in on the Sanchez trade, but just called to see what the Browns wanted (said the same thing about the Cutler trade) but found that the price was too high for the Skins to go for it.

Either way, you don't fool someone you have to try to trade with or work with later and then go in front of the media and say, "Man ALL those other guys are morons! Look how much smarter we are than them. We really fooled those idiots! Ha Ha Ha!" Because 6 months later when you want to trade for a player of need, guess what, they still remember you bashing their intelligence in front of the media. So, if the Skins did that, I would consider them too dumb to pull off a move of this magnitude and manipulative planning. Or, when the player you "wanted all along", and fooled everyone to get, ends up being Todd Marinovich, and the guy that the team you fooled into getting ends up being "Peyton Manning", well, who looks like the idiot now. Thank goodness that's not the case today.

Several of us actually had the exact same theory about that situation, and voiced it in a previous thread, but people in the forum have jumped all over those of us with that opinion for a few reasons:

A)Snyder and Cerrato aren't that smart

B)Smokescreens are the creation of the media and never work

C)I hate the FO and will never believe they can do anything right

D)It just sounds too good to be true

I don't disagree with some of these, but the fact is that it's very possible because the Browns were sitting there with the 5th pick, where most people thought he'd be taken. If the Skins could convince everyone they wanted Sanchez, they might be able to trade up without any competition, or they might generate enough interest in Sanchez that someone else would trade for the Browns spot and then that would be one spot lower they could jump to. Of course, no one could have guessed all those teams would pass on Orakpo and he'd fall into our laps.

More than likely, the media pushed the Skins interest in Sanchez up higher than what it was. No media report has ever said there was more than a call to find out what the trade cost would be to move up, and several that actually say the Browns and Jets had the details worked out days before the draft. So, the media made the Skins intent higher than what it was (meaning that they thought the Skins were willing to break the bank and they weren't), and the Jets jumped up to grab Sanchez.

After that Vinny said he repeatedly tried to trade up and called every team after the Browns, but no one was willing to trade, then by shear idiotic luck (idiotic being the Bengals, Bills, Raiders, and Broncos picks) Orakpo fell into the Skins laps.

Although I still think its possible, I think there are too many moving parts for this to have actually happened. Vinny and Co. may have tried to put up a little bit of a diversion, but I think they would have been happy to pick either Sanchez or Orakpo.

Edited by jflow78

Why? Everyone knows the redskins are crazy.. Let them continue to think that?

I think the Redskins have used that image to their benefit in the past. I think it does help them in FA sometimes because other teams don't really want to get into a bidding war with us. We saw that with Fletcher and the Lions where they didn't even try after they heard that we were involved.

I do think a lot of the Sanchez stuff was a ruse. A lot of it goes back to his visit with us, which seemed far more public than any of the other visits. A big deal was made about taking him out for dinner, but we do that with all the potential top picks we bring in.

We weren't the only ones feinting. The Broncos did the same thing. The difference with them is that no one believed it. But, they believed the rumors about us, because the image is that Snyder does crazy things, despite what really happens.

But, they believed the rumors about us, because the image is that Snyder does crazy things, despite what really happens.

Well, Vinny Cerrato did admit in post-draft quotes that he did make some calls about trading up for Mark Sanchez. That means if the price was right, he was willing to do it. Who do you think they would have taken at #13 if Mark Sanchez and Brian Orakpo were still available?

Another great conspiracy theory to go along with 911 and JFK.

Hey, that's BS man, JFK is NOT a conspiracy, he was killed by Lee Harvey Oswald with a magic bullet. That's right, the government's known about magic for a long time now. :hysterical: