Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STLToday:Black conservative beaten at STL town hall meeting

Spaceman Spiff

Kenneth Gladney, 38, a conservative activist from St. Louis, said he was attacked by some of those arrested as he handed out yellow flags with "Don't tread on me" printed on them. He spoke to the Post-Dispatch from the emergency room at St. John's Mercy Medical Center, where he said he was awaiting treatment for injuries to his knee, back, elbow, shoulder and face. Gladney, who is black, said one of his attackers, also a black man, used a racial slur against him before the attack.

"It just seems there's no freedom of speech without being attacked," he said.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/laworder/story/0470FEB3219207458625760B001142AC?OpenDocument

Awesome.

This pretty much sums it up for the article:

Could this be written any more incoherently? Even for P-D standards this is bad. I'm sure the innocent, fair and balanced, P-D reporter was just standing there and got arrested...probably got mad that somebody ripped the BHO decal off his camera. How's that Hope and Change workin' out for ya?

Report Abuse

Sarcasm, Asbury. Check your meter.

I figured as much, this whole thing is stupid. Its all a move by Conservative groups to grab headlines and create some sort of movement or at the very least make it appear that there is a movement when all they are doing is proving that they cannot act with civility.

Was it wrong to beat the guy? Sure. Gotta know the whole story though, since it was very light on details.

I figured as much, this whole thing is stupid. Its all a move by Conservative groups to grab headlines and create some sort of movement or at the very least make it appear that there is a movement when all they are doing is proving that they cannot act with civility.

Was it wrong to beat the guy? Sure. Gotta know the whole story though, since it was very light on details.

All the story says is that the guy was handing out "Don't Tread On Me" flags and he got assaulted because of it. If the roles were reversed and it was a conservative beating a liberal for handing out liberal agenda materials, you'd be ****ting your pants here, Asbury.

Blame the victim much?

All the story says is that the guy was handing out "Don't Tread On Me" flags and he got assaulted because of it. If the roles were reversed and it was a conservative beating a liberal for handing out liberal agenda materials, you'd be ****ting your pants here, Asbury.
Blame the victim much?

How is asking for more details "blaming the victim"? You are both taking one line from an article and running with it as if its gospel, you have no idea what might have transpired before the incident. Does this concern me, sure it does, am I ready to run off and join a lynch mob, not quite...apparently some are already grabbing their pitchforks.

Maybe I don't get it, but what's with the "Angry Mob" sign? Was she holding it up so that protesters knew where to go? Also, I like the sideways flow chart.

Like I said, if you want to protest civilly, go for it... it doesn't seem that everyone was there to protest civilly.

Unfortunatetly, a guy who seems to have been there to protest civilly got beaten up for doing nothing wrong now.

Didn't take long for someone to break out the "brown shirts" reference......OYE!

We just went through eight years of liberals calling Bush a nazi, and conservatives couldn't stand it(understandably so), and Obama is in for about 6 months now, and he is already a Nazi/Hitler/Stalin/Mao etc etc........

I guess tit-for-tat?

Good thinking. The President is directly involved in this.

"The buck stops here"

Furthermore, yeah he IS directly involved-

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0809/25891.html

White House to Democrats: 'Punch back twice as hard'

Top White House aides gave Senate Democrats a recess battle plan on Thursday, arming the lawmakers with tips for avoiding disastrous town hall meetings while showing them polling on popular aspects of the reform effort.

Senior White House adviser David Axelrod and deputy chief of staff Jim Messina told senators to focus on the insured and how they would benefit from “consumer protections" in the overhaul, such as ending the practice of denying insurance based on preexisting conditions and ensuring the continuity of coverage between jobs.

They showed video clips of the confrontational town halls that have dominated the media coverage, and told senators to do more prep work than usual for their public meetings by making sure their own supporters turn out, senators and aides said.

And they screened TV ads and reviewed the various campaigns by critics of the Democratic plan.

“If you get hit, we will punch back twice as hard,” Messina said, according to an official who attended the meeting.

It's clear that there are fired up people on both sides of this debate. Why should the government take on this new role in health care if half the people are militantly against it and half are militantly for it?

I would think that the mere act of suggesting legislation leads to people fighting in the streets would be a reason to put the brakes on and rethink what you're really trying to accomplish.

Archived