Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

STLToday:Black conservative beaten at STL town hall meeting

Spaceman Spiff

“If you get hit, we will punch back twice as hard,” Messina said, according to an official who attended the meeting.

Yeah, because that was meant to be taken literally! Good gravy folks get a grip! Besides that if you want to run with that line of 5th grader logic then all they were doing was advocating self defense. Seriously WTH.

How is asking for more details "blaming the victim"? You are both taking one line from an article and running with it as if its gospel, you have no idea what might have transpired before the incident. Does this concern me, sure it does, am I ready to run off and join a lynch mob, not quite...apparently some are already grabbing their pitchforks.

No, I'm just taking what has been reported.

It's clear that there are fired up people on both sides of this debate. Why should the government take on this new role in health care if half the people are militantly against it and half are militantly for it?

I would think that the mere act of suggesting legislation leads to people fighting in the streets would be a reason to put the brakes on and rethink what you're really trying to accomplish.

I don't agree with that... you let the terrorists win with that logic. ;)

Kilmer, do you not think that showing up with a sign that says "Angry Mob" is at least inciteful. I realize the guy who ended up in the hospital seems innocent in all this, but it seems like a lot of people are going to these town hall meetings to start a fight.

Oh come on. Its obviously a joking reference to what the anti-public option protestors have been accused of being in the press and specifically from the DNC.

How is asking for more details "blaming the victim"? You are both taking one line from an article and running with it as if its gospel, you have no idea what might have transpired before the incident. Does this concern me, sure it does, am I ready to run off and join a lynch mob, not quite...apparently some are already grabbing their pitchforks.

You said the whole reason for this happening is conservatives making the town halls a big deal. That seems to infer that if he would have just stayed at home and minded his own business, he wouldn't have gotten beat.

Oh come on. Its obviously a joking reference to what the anti-public option protestors have been accused of being in the press and specifically from the DNC.

Really? Its somewhat incietful, no?

I mean, if you show up with an "Angry Mob" people assume one thing.

Like I said, the guy who got beaten should be pissed off and has every right to be, but people on both sides are purposely inciting violence at these things... and an Angry Mob poster embraces that.

Kilmer, do you not think that showing up with a sign that says "Angry Mob" is at least inciteful. I realize the guy who ended up in the hospital seems innocent in all this, but it seems like a lot of people are going to these town hall meetings to start a fight.
I was thinking the the guy with the "Angry Mob" sign was probably mocking the protesters. :whoknows:

Really? Its somewhat incietful, no?

I mean, if you show up with an "Angry Mob" people assume one thing.

Like I said, the guy who got beaten should be pissed off and has every right to be, but people on both sides are purposely inciting violence at these things... and an Angry Mob poster embraces that.

Ummm, I have literally never seen nor heard of a truly angry member of a mob holding up a sign that says "angry mob"

The poster is a silly attempt at humor, dont pull a pelosi and claim its anything but.

I think he was mocking the DNC and those that made the astroturf allegations.
I was thinking the the guy with the "Angry Mob" sign was probably mocking the protesters. :whoknows:

And I was thinking he was saying "we're pissed off and we're not gonna take it" in a way that is dangerous and stupid. And that no matter what he meant, its dangerous and stupid to show up at a rally with a sign that says "Angry Mob."

You said the whole reason for this happening is conservatives making the town halls a big deal. That seems to infer that if he would have just stayed at home and minded his own business, he wouldn't have gotten beat.

Just because you want it to infer that, does not mean that I infered that line of thought. He has every right to peaceably assemble and every right to speak his mind. And if that's what he was indeed doing and he was assaulted for it then I am saddened and angry at those who did it and they should be prosecuted. However, since all we have before us is one line in a poorly articulated article I reserve the right to withhold judgment.

And I was thinking he was saying "we're pissed off and we're not gonna take it" in a way that is dangerous and stupid. And that no matter what he meant, its dangerous and stupid to show up at a rally with a sign that says "Angry Mob."

It's stupid to think it was anything but an attempt at humor.

There seems to be two sides to the story. One of the men, Matthews, who supposedly attacked the fellow, said the following:

"One of those arrested was Brian Matthews, 34, of St. Louis city, who works as a rehabber and previously worked on a campaign for a Texas statehouse candidate.

"I feel like it was a bull rush," Matthews said. "It all came from behind."

Matthews said he had been inside the forum because he is in favor of a public option for health care. He had attended with a friend, a 51-year-old woman. After it was over, they were walking outside and had a run-in with a man who was trying to videotape them. Matthews said that man from from the GOP. They reported the man to a police officer, who seemed uninterested, Matthews said."

So, you have to wonder what really happened. Also, it isn't as if "the mob" are being peaceful, themselves. Here is something that happened in Florida:

"Police officers were called to calm down an unruly crowd outside a health care reform town hall meeting in downtown Tampa, Florida on Thursday evening, according to local news reports."

"Instead, hundreds of vocal critics turned out, many of them saying they had been spurred on through the Tampa 912 activist group promoted by conservative radio and television personality Glenn Beck. Others had received e-mails from the Hillsborough Republican Party that urged people to speak out against the plan and offered talking points."

And I remember how many of us condemned anti-war protesters when they behaved in this manner . . . .

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/06/tampa-town-hall-on-health_n_253478.html

Ummm, I have literally never seen nor heard of a truly angry member of a mob holding up a sign that says "angry mob"

The poster is a silly attempt at humor, dont pull a pelosi and claim its anything but.

I'm sorry, but you are going way too far to defend this.

You hold up a sign that says "Angry Mob" at what you know is a very contentious debate already and you are asking for trouble. You don't make an "Angry Mob" sign like that out of humor. And if you make it you are intending to cause problems... or you at least should realize that you are going to cause problems... or you're stupid.

The polls indicate that 50% of America is represented by these conservative militant mobs?

The article does kind of point out that there were "militant mobs" from both sides of the equasion.

Only the liberal militant mob actually resorted to beating up someone for handing out dont tread on me stuff.

Archived