Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WR Battle Thread

redskin301

Barring injury I think you will see Thomas win the number 2 spot. However, if Kelly forces the coaches to give him playing time I can see him going in for Thomas and/or ARE at times. Why can't we see combinations of Moss/Thomas/ARE or Moss/Kelly/ARE or Moss/Thomas/Kelly. Heck maybe even Moss comes off.

its early, but both are said to be having excellent camps. given that Devin actually had more game experience last season and the fact he's faster than Kelly, i think that would give him the edge to grab the #2 spot

either way, barring injury, we will see alot of both players during the season

I'd like to see us having a dominant WR corps that no matter who we play it gives teams nightmares. I want Thomas to be our Fitzgerald, Kelly to be our Boldin, and Moss to be our Steve Smith. Is that asking too much?

I should add to that I want Davis to be our Gates and Cooley to be our Cooley.

I'd like to see us having a dominant WR corps that no matter who we play it gives teams nightmares. I want Thomas to be our Fitzgerald, Kelly to be our Boldin, and Moss to be our Steve Smith. Is that asking too much?

That might be alittle too much to ask but I like where you going

I like where you're going with this, but for arguments sake, i would see kelly as more of a fitzgerald type...tall with great hands and jump ball type of receiver; and thomas as more of a boldin type...great run after the catch, almost like a running back...just a little faster and probably not as strong.

Good thoughts though.

This sounds like a good problem to have. Devin and Malcolm sound like they're having great camps, and they both seem to have a good attitude. It seems like having two WRs drafted in the same year is giving them not only competition with other WRs, but themselves, which looks like great motivation. Malcolm does seem to be that 'possession' guy while Devin sounds more like a downfield and prototypical #2 (or even #1, at some point in the future), but if either one or both starts playing closer to their potential, they'll both be great and will make it hard to pick one or the other.

Right now Thomas is practicing across from Moss as the #2, with ARE coming in at the slot with the first team, on most occasions. Kelly generally comes in for either Moss or Thomas.

I haven't seen (or don't remember) Moss, Kelly and Thomas on the field at the same time. Might have happened once.

Kelly may be vying for backup split end AND/OR flanker with ARE and thus learning the slot routes are not the highest priority for him.

I think this is the case/plan. And I think they are going to use him situationally as well on the outside, somewhere. His size doesn't make him ideal for a slot receivers. ARE and Moss would be the two best slot receivers on the team. I'd actually like to see Thomas and Kelly on the outside, and Moss in the slot every now and then. Or motion Moss into the slot position from the outside. His quickness would be really dangerous in the middle of the field, especially against zone where the 2 top CBs generally stay on the outside.

Hmmm, the possibilities are endless.

I think this is the case/plan. And I think they are going to use him situationally as well on the outside, somewhere. His size doesn't make him ideal for a slot receivers. ARE and Moss would be the two best slot receivers on the team. I'd actually like to see Thomas and Kelly on the outside, and Moss in the slot every now and then. Or motion Moss into the slot position from the outside. His quickness would be really dangerous in the middle of the field, especially against zone where the 2 top CBs generally stay on the outside.

Hmmm, the possibilities are endless.

Or Thomas and Kelly on the field at the same time for a CP run to the outside. Then a few plays later, a pass to either one of them. That'll put the defense on edge.

I would like to see both of them push ARE to 4. Zorn wants to go 4 wide a lot, right? ARE can focus on his return duties a bit more and with a lighter load should be less prone to getting nicked up. Forced to choose now, I think Thomas has the edge.

A question to ponder. Why has ARE been our 2 for so many years? Obviously we like him there. And not just Zorn; Saunders and Gibbs as well. Over Thrash and everyone else, it has been automatic that he is our 2. Really not even a discussion. Oddly, Jason takes near all the blame of any passing woes, many turning a blind eye to our WR core. I know Zorn has already mentioned ARE in the slot, but until we see him there, I am trying to temper my enthusiasm. Its going to be really hard for a second year WR to wrestle that spot away from a gristly old vet like Randel El.

To me the ideal situation is:

1: Moss/Thomas

2: Kelly

3: Randle El

The reason I have Santana and Devin Thomas in the number one slot is because I would like to see them split time there. As we all know Santana has had his troubles with durability and having another big play guy splitting time with him in the number one spot could allow Santana to stay healthy for a whole season. Kelly could be the big guy at #2 and El could do what he does best in the slot.

Other receivers I would like to see make the team are Marko Mitchell and Marques Hagans.

I hate the entire premise from coach Zorn. Why is ARE's WR job a lock? And what if 1 or 2 of the no-name WRs trying to make the squad start running better routes and catching more passes than Kelly and Thomas? Will Zorn be man enough not to play favorites, and PLAY another WR ahead of ARE, Thomas, or Kelly? I am sooooo tired of politics getting in the way of ultimate production......like Al Davis says, "Just win, Baby!"

I hate the entire premise from coach Zorn. Why is ARE's WR job a lock? And what if 1 or 2 of the no-name WRs trying to make the squad start running better routes and catching more passes than Kelly and Thomas? Will Zorn be man enough not to play favorites, and PLAY another WR ahead of ARE, Thomas, or Kelly? I am sooooo tired of politics getting in the way of ultimate production......like Al Davis says, "Just win, Baby!"

ARE is really quick and really suited for being in the slot. It's his natural position, and he looks a whole lot more comfortable in the slot and outside. I don't think anybody on the team posses the quickness needed to play the slot outside of ARE/Moss. Moss can play anywhere.

btw, the results so far on the guys trying to make the squad are mixed. They are up and down. A couple good catches today, and a whole lot of drops.

ARE, for what it's worth, made a couple very nice catches. I'm not a big fan of his as a punt returner or starting WR, but as a slot/gadget guy, he's pretty good. IMHO.

Archived