Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

National Harbor

SkinsTerps26

I've been gone from MD for 3 years and I'm just now hearing about this.

People in MD. let me know what you know about it. I'm hearing Disney is building a hotel/resort there. I also know a national childrens museum will be up by 2013, but how does it look right now?

anyone been?

It's coming around. The Gaylord Resort Hotel is the anchor, and it's worth strolling through as a sightseer. One side of the 18 story atrium is a glass front that looks out over the Potomac River. The atrium is huge, with restaurants, lush gardens, and a fountain that shoots 50 feet into the air. Two entire colonial style brick buildings are in the atrium!

The Harbor sits right along the Potomac and has a pier jutting out into the River. More restaurants have opened up, and they now have a couple of lower price choices - Pot Belly Sandwiches and Elevation Burger are open, along with higher priced McCormack and Schmicks, Rosa Mexicano, Ketchup, and a showy Chinese place I can't remember the name of. Some shops are open too, with more promised. They're trying to sell condos there too, but apparently sales are really slow - no big surprise in this economy.

It's worth an evening to go down and look around. The overall feel is a place trying find find its legs, with commercial tenants moving in and hoping for the crowds to come.

It's really nice. It has a few nice restaurants like Rosa Mexicano and the Gaylord is really cool. I've stayed there for a company retreat before and it's like a mini town inside the building.

I think if they build it up the right way, it could be popular like Baltimore's inner harbor.

i've never even heard of National Harbor.....how long has this place been around? Where exactly is it located?

Going from VA into MD it's on the banks of the Potomac right accross the Woodrow Wilson bridge in MD. Been there about 1.5 or 2 years I think, but still in the process of building and opening things.

Yeah, I went there for Cirque too. The weirdest thing was that GPS couldn't find it. My maps were too old.

Tried to go one time with my wife, and the GPS kept looping us around some residential neighborhood next to the water :hysterical:

Wonder if the Disney site could somehow be tied to their vacation club or cruise business? They have 2 new ships coming in the next couple of years. Is the water deep enough to handle a big cruise ship or ferry people to and from one anchored in deeper water?

This place will survive, if it does, on the conference and meeting traffic they book, just like the sister property in Nashville, the Opryland Hotel aka NashVegas.

Organizations book an event supposedly in a 'name' city with attractions, and the attendees never get to leave the hotel. :)

We went there once a few weeks ago. Call me unimpressed. The Awakening is there, which is cool, but the rest just strikes me as an outdoor mall.:yawnee:

BTW, we went to one restaurant for lunch, whose specialty was apparently different kinds of ketchup. The food was OK, but overpriced. Worst of all, we ordered a cranberry juice for our 3 year old daughter. She didn't want to drink it and said it tasted bad. My wife tasted it an nearly spit it out all over me. They gave my 3 year old daughter a vodka and cranberry juice. :doh:

Worst of all, we ordered a cranberry juice for our 3 year old daughter. She didn't want to drink it and said it tasted bad. My wife tasted it an nearly spit it out all over me. They gave my 3 year old daughter a vodka and cranberry juice. :doh:

:hysterical:

Thats just horrible man.

I thought the food was overpriced too, but I did enjoy the ketchup sampling...whoever thought of Maple Syrup Ketchup was a genius!

They have a Dueling Piano Bar called Bobby McKee's that we went to when they opened it, that was pretty fun, saw their xmas tree lighting ceremony there this past xmas, that was cool too, but yea its still under construction for the most part.

Dont eat at the buffet in the main hotel there, the food is "eh"

You get the feel that this place with not be around in 5 years. I have been once, and do not see going back. Everyone I talk to about it, says the same.

Yeah, I agree. I heard so much about it and I went not too long ago and was very unimpressed to be honest. It was a lot of hotels and super over-commercialized shops. It was not really anything that I not go to a couple of places around the DC area and see. Except in some places it has a view of the water.

so nothing good so far...

The Opryland resorts are like Vegas ... but without the gambling, fun, entertainment and all 'round opportunities for sinning. :)

Opryland resorts are a place for people attending dull business conferences to run up their company-paid expense accounts for a few days. Not a place you would want to go voluntarily.

Archived