Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Zorn Praises Offense's Development

HapHaszard

Jason Campbell is going to have either a great year or he is going to be another bust. This is the first time in his career he will be in the samer system with the same OC.

He is already a bust. He had Al Saunders as his OC in 2006 and 2007. Thanks for playing.

Limited brain capacity forces you to forget some facts is one theory. The other is suppressed memory syndrome where JC fans are abuse victims who haven't come to terms. ES is their therapy.

Just out of curiosity. What will you all do on here if Campbell has a breakout year? Would you take back all of the crap you talked about him and move forward? Would you disappear? Would you simply find something else about his game to nitpick about? Would you say that the only reason he played very well was because others around him played well?

Just out of curiosity. What will you all do on here if Campbell has a breakout year? Would you take back all of the crap you talked about him and move forward? Would you disappear? Would you simply find something else about his game to nitpick about? Would you say that the only reason he played very well was because others around him played well?

Probably the exact same thing you will do when Colt takes over and kicks ass:

Cheer and enjoy the winning.

The negativity around here can be staggering at times. All that is being said by Zorn here, is that we are further ahead on O than we were last year. How is that a bad thing? Yes we struggled on O last year, so improvement is good yes?

That does not mean that Campbell has turned into Tom Brady, or that we will suddenly put up 35 points a game. It simply means we are at least a little better. With our D a little could make all the difference.

Does "breakout year" involve comparing him to a less worthless version of himself and proclaiming how he improved over last year? Comparing his 0-8 record against teams with 10 or more wins over the past 2 years with a 1-3record against those teams this year will not amount to progress.

He has started in games over the past 3 season with streaks of 2-5, 1-5 and 6-2 to end his seasons. Unless we have a SB appearance or at least a 13 win regular season, it's going to take quite a bit to overcome the ineptitude he has displayed over the past 4 years in a single season. If we starts 8-2 and he gets hurt and the offense performs far worse without him, then that would be a break out year as well. Otherwise he is not starting out at zero. He is far on the negative side with only a few chips left. There is a reason the team sought Cutler and Sanchez.

Probably the exact same thing you will do when Colt takes over and kicks ass:

Cheer and enjoy the winning.

Getting a little ahead of yourself? Colt hasn't even taken over the #2 spot yet. And from media reports Collins is has had a good mini-camp and OTA showing. Especially since a shoulder problem he had in pre-season last year is not bothering him this year.

"It's going to be tough for Daniel to make the 53-man roster because Todd Collins still looks serviceable, which keeps Colt Brennan as the No. 3 passer."

Does "breakout year" involve comparing him to a less worthless version of himself and proclaiming how he improved over last year? Comparing his 0-8 record against teams with 10 or more wins over the past 2 years with a 1-3record against those teams this year will not amount to progress.

He has started in games over the past 3 season with streaks of 2-5, 1-5 and 6-2 to end his seasons. Unless we have a SB appearance or at least a 13 win regular season, it's going to take quite a bit to overcome the ineptitude he has displayed over the past 4 years in a single season. If we starts 8-2 and he gets hurt and the offense performs far worse without him, then that would be a break out year as well. Otherwise he is not starting out at zero. He is far on the negative side with only a few chips left. There is a reason the team sought Cutler and Sanchez.

Campbell is no Patrick Ramsey, we get it already.

That's what Im worried about... the blowing up part. That word has a different connotation for me than how you meant it.

What I do have a problem with is some of the folks in this thread think that concern = stoney's comments.

That whole "its obvious you nothing about football" line is cliche and overused. If anybody knew anything about football on this board they would be coaches for major college programs or the pros.

Seems like a lot of Monday Morning QB's here and Pop Warner calibre wanna be coaches.

Once we realize that opinions are just that opinions, the better off we will all be; but I guess that is assking for a miracle.

Hilarious that you would post something like this after all the blind criticism you've made of Campbell and what he's doing in OTAs with Zorn in this very same thread.

This spring, with a full year behind quarterback Jason Campbell, he added more, estimating that perhaps as much as half of the team's offense was introduced in minicamp and organized team activities.
This time frame sounds right. The WCO takes an estimated 3-4 years to get completely established. That's why patience and stability in the personnel and players is so critical.

I love how this statement is dripping with the assumption that is some level at which you can no longer improve.:doh:

Peyton Manning still works on his mechanics after 11 years in the NFL

His SB year, that off season he made a point to work on his footwork and mobility.

it's the ones who stop trying to improve, and are complacent, who are destine to fail when it counts **cough**Romo sits to pee**cough**

Big differences buddy. Manning and Brady already have completely developed mechanics while Campbell is still LEARNING after four years in the league. Two QB's are coming into the OTA's not learning but just refining and refreshing. Campbell on the other hand had his entire mechanism retooled and is still working on changing it with Zorn after four years in the league.

Nice comparison with Kobe though. Basketball and football are so much alike. How did I not think of the comparison between a jumpshot and a quarterbacks footwork :saber:

Where did it say Campbell was still "learning" his footwork. It said he was "working" on it just like it says for the other quarterbacks in the NFL. In the article it says nothing about still working on his mechanics either, I haven't read an article about mechanics and Jason Campbell lately. Learning an offense is way different then learning mechanics. You are pulling stuff right out of your ass (not just this post but the other posts in this thread).

I love how this statement is dripping with the assumption that is some level at which you can no longer improve.:doh:

Yeah agree, when you read about the top athletes including Jerry Rice, the idea that they are continuing to refine their games and improve is what they say they are all about, and that includes the fundamentals --its practically a sports cliche.

Why do people pounce on Campbell for it? And am far from smitten with Zorn, but few can argue he isn't one of the best QB coaches in the league, I bet he can teach EVERY QB in this league something new that they can work on to improve their game.

Campbell clearly is a classy guy and works his butt off. Be one thing if he had a Jeff George attitude and was lazy. Why not give him a chance this season, last year was his debut in Zorn's WCO -- still he wasn't bad. He was all right. I don't think its a stretch to hope he improves from all right to good. Or maybe not.

I get that Campbell has detractors but I don't get the idea that the guy is a definite bust and doesn't deserve a look this season.

it must have been absolutely crazy last year when zorn was the only one who knew the offense. i mean, think about that: theres only one guy on the entire field who knows what everyone is supposed to be doing? that it was his responsibility to simultaneously run an entire NFL offense with no help and almost singlehandedly work on developing a young quarterback? that would be tough for ANY coach, let alone a rookie head coach. i wonder how different things would be if he couldve brought in more coaches familiar with what was going on.

here's hoping for a much improved offense and jason campbell this year.

it must have been absolutely crazy last year when zorn was the only one who knew the offense. i mean, think about that: theres only one guy on the entire field who knows what everyone is supposed to be doing? that it was his responsibility to simultaneously run an entire NFL offense with no help and almost singlehandedly work on developing a young quarterback? that would be tough for ANY coach, let alone a rookie head coach. i wonder how different things would be if he couldve brought in more coaches familiar with what was going on.

here's hoping for a much improved offense and jason campbell this year.

Agree, and he also had to write the playbook and put it together. It was Zorn's first time calling plays in the NFL, its not like he was Saunders coming with a 700 page playbook, he had develop his own. Unless he just took Holmgren's book play for play which I doubt.

O Lord... Campbell working on his footwork..... still. *sigh*

I recall seeing an interview Joe Montana did while he was with the Chiefs (i.e towards the end of his Hall of Fame career) talking about how he went back and worked on his footwork every offseason.

Footwork is the foundation of a QB's play - its something they all work on constantly.

Redskin fans can be so stupid sometimes, makes me ashamed to say I'm one too. I'm not gonna sit here and pretend I'm some football genius like alot of you bashers, but common sense should easily allow you to see that campbell is not a horrible qb. If anything he should receive some kinda praise for what he's been going through and still coming out "ok".

The one thing I DO KNOW about football is that it's a team sport. We all know JC is not an elite qb but you can't tell me if you put ANY quarterback on this team AS IS, that they'd do much better than Campbell. No one could convince me of that. We have problems on the line, problems with the receivers and as good as the defense were last year....we had problems getting turnovers which is important. What quarterback can win with those issues.

Every winning football team has something we havent had in over 10 years. Consistency. You'd think it would be that simple. If we just stuck with what we believe in, I think we can do some damage. But every year we wanna change this and change that. That'll never work as we've all seen. We simply need to just go through the growing pains as i think we did in the second half of the season last year and hopefully we'll see the result of that this year. Fingers crossed.

Archived