Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP RI - Zorn Praises Offense's Development

HapHaszard

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/zorn-praises-offenses-developm.html#more

Jim Zorn, for all of his curiosity and innovation, has never been one to proceed carelessly. In his first months as the Redskins' coach last spring, he gingerly installed his offense, holding back the more expansive elements until he felt his players understood what they were doing. This spring, with a full year behind quarterback Jason Campbell, he added more, estimating that perhaps as much as half of the team's offense was introduced in minicamp and organized team activities.

"Our installations this year were tremendous," he said on the last day of OTAs before training camp. "Last year even the coaches didn't know the offense. I was the only one who could go, 'No! That's not right!'"

The newness of the offense and Campbell's lack of experience in it led Zorn to refrain from using certain elements. For example, it was clear after some time that having Campbell drop back seven steps from the line of scrimmage (a key element in the West Coast offense) was not working and that he had to use shorter drops. His hope is that this season, with everyone understanding his offense better and more depth on the offensive line and at wide receiver, the offense will be a little more expansive.

"There were a lot of times last year when we couldn't do things we would have liked to do," he said. "When you have your backup center playing right tackle and you're playing the New York Giants, what can you do? It's not fair to him and it's not fair to Jason."

Zorn spent some time in the OTAs working with Campbell on his footwork. In his previous job as quarterback coach in Seattle, he got a lot of credit for developing quarterback Matt Hasselbeck, turning the quarterback into one of the NFL's top passers. He didn't work as diligently with Campbell in the offseason in part because he had other responsibilities as a head coach, but he was delighted with the comfort Campbell is showing with the offense.

Click on the link above for the rest of the article

First post here,b ut anyway,

what did anybody expect Zorn to say about the ota's? I don't know any coach who would say that it was a complete waste of time, no improvement here, or we're really regressing.

At this point in June every single coach in the NFL is saying the same thing, with maybe the exception of Ryan in N.Y. Don;t believe anything you hear in June and only half of what you see in camp.

First post here,b ut anyway,

what did anybody expect Zorn to say about the ota's? I don't know any coach who would say that it was a complete waste of time, no improvement here, or we're really regressing.

At this point in June every single coach in the NFL is saying the same thing, with maybe the exception of Ryan in N.Y. Don;t believe anything you hear in June and only half of what you see in camp.

It seems that someone always says this, but the past has shown that Zorn doesn't shy away from saying negative things. At the very least, he wouldn't be praising anyone.

O Lord... Campbell working on his footwork..... still. *sigh*
Yup, just like Matt Hasselbeck was working on his footwaork two years into the WCO....still. *sigh*

You do realize that every QB (including Tom Brady and Peyton Manning) work on footwork in OTAs, right? It is not like the Redskins are the only team in the league working on footwork with their starting QB.

It seems that someone always says this, but the past has shown that Zorn doesn't shy away from saying negative things. At the very least, he wouldn't be praising anyone.

Yes, but maybe that was his downfall last year after putting players under the bus

You do realize that every QB (including Tom Brady and Peyton Manning) work on footwork in OTAs, right? It is not like the Redskins are the only team in the league working on footwork with their starting QB.

Really? This is the first time I've read that. Could you please direct me to a link that says Manning and Brady are still working on footwork and mechanics during the offseason?

Really? This is the first time I've read that. Could you please direct me to a link that says Manning and Brady are still working on footwork and mechanics during the offseason?
You don't need a link. What do you suppose QBs do in individual drills in OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp? Slap the center on the ass and goof off?

BREAKING NEWS: Kobe Bryant shown practicing his free throw form and jump shot. You would think that after 12 years in the league, he would already have these things down. :doh::doh::doh::doh:

"I worked with Tom Brady a lot this offseason on footwork and mechanics, stuff like that and then sat down with Chris and told him what I was thinking,"

You don't need a link. What do you suppose QBs do in individual drills in OTAs, mini-camp, and training camp? Slap the center on the ass and goof off?

BREAKING NEWS: Kobe Bryant shown practicing his free throw form and jump shot. You would think that after 12 years in the league, he would already have these things down. :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Big differences buddy. Manning and Brady already have completely developed mechanics while Campbell is still LEARNING after four years in the league. Two QB's are coming into the OTA's not learning but just refining and refreshing. Campbell on the other hand had his entire mechanism retooled and is still working on changing it with Zorn after four years in the league.

Nice comparison with Kobe though. Basketball and football are so much alike. How did I not think of the comparison between a jumpshot and a quarterbacks footwork :saber:

Matt Leinert

"I worked with Tom Brady a lot this offseason on footwork and mechanics, stuff like that and then sat down with Chris and told him what I was thinking,"

So Matt Leinart is working on his footwork. What a bust like him should be doing. He had Tom Brady help him out. So how does that tell me that Tom Brady is working on his OWN footwork? :rotflmao:

First you ask this. I respond with a quote showing that Brady was working on footwork and mechanics.

Now, you change your contention to this:

Big differences buddy. Manning and Brady already have completely developed mechanics while Campbell is still LEARNING after four years in the league. Two QB's are coming into the OTA's not learning but just refining and refreshing. Campbell on the other hand had his entire mechanism retooled and is still working on changing it with Zorn after four years in the league.
Mechanics. He had his mechanics retooled. You'd have to ask Miss DC about his mechanism. He is working on his footwork and mechanics. Just like Brady and Manning. You don't think that the Pats and Colts added some variety to their playbook? Yeah, and these new plays require the QB to learn and implement the footwork and timing required. And they have to get it down with receivers.
Nice comparison with Kobe though. Basketball and football are so much alike. How did I not think of the comparison between a jumpshot and a quarterbacks footwork
My point is that these are professional athletes, and no matter how long they have been in the league they will always practice techniques to get better. When they stop, they get passed by the guy behind them. If Kobe doesn't practice, he wins no MVP and is just another wasted talent.

I am done with you Vishal. Does anyone get better at anything without practice? Nope. Just like you won't get better at debating unless you practice reading and comprehension, and study the subject you are debating. If you think that ANY QB in the NFL is not working on their footwork and mechanics right now, including the best in the world, you are a fool.

Problem is Popeman...

Brady and Manning have arrived while Campbell is still at the train depot learning how to purchase a ticket.

And I will not debate that point. But do you really think they are sitting on their ass right now not trying to improve?

Problem is Popeman...

Brady and Manning have arrived while Campbell is still at the train depot learning how to purchase a ticket.

Ok so the "he is still working on footwork??" thing is basically called out as so much BS so then it changes to "yeah but those guys are great QBs and Campbell isn't".

quick Google search...

"The thing right now we work on is, during these individual sessions and individual drills, is working on my footwork and my quarterback skills. The next two weeks of team work we’ll be working on our basic fundamental plays before training camp starts. That’s what we’re focused on right now.”

- Peyton Manning

the same things are thrown at players every offseason

That's right Popeman. You're insight and opinion is vastly superior than anyone elses so when someone disagrees with you you take your toys and go home.

The head coach working with a 5 year pro on footwork and basic mechanics in OTA's is not normal in my opinion, and it is the same thing we have heard from the start. Premier QB's are working on routes with receivers and ball placement and formations and audibles and different packages (2 min drill / inside 20 O). OTA's are much more of a brain exercise than anything else.

I am done with you Vishal. Does anyone get better at anything without practice? Nope. Just like you won't get better at debating unless you practice reading and comprehension, and study the subject you are debating. If you think that ANY QB in the NFL is not working on their footwork and mechanics right now, including the best in the world, you are a fool.

Working on it and completely retooling are two different things. Two are working on improving something that is already good enough. One is working on his because it isn't good enough. Big difference that you apparently don't understand.

Archived