Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Laptop

redskins4life234

So I am starting to research Laptops to get later this summer for college next year. I know I need a PC because many of the business classes at my school [i am attending Indiana University next year] require windows and I don't want to put up with the hassle of putting windows on a Mac.

So I have done some research on Sony and Dell so far. To me, it all seems the same. And the reviews I have searched online don't seem legit to me. So from your guys knowledge, experience, etc, Whats the best laptop.

I've got a Sony right now, absolutely love it. Before this I had a Dell, it fell apart after 2 years. The hard drive was replaced twice and the keyboard 3 times. I've seen the same thing happen to many of my friends who had the same laptop.

I would recommend a Sony or HP laptop. Something around the $700 range. No need to spend over $1000 on something that will be out of date in a year anyways.

I've given the same answer to anybody who asked that question, for the last 10 years.

I work in a store where I fix broken laptops. I do it for a living. I see a lot of broken laptops. (The ones that don't break, I don't see.)

If I ever buy a laptop, it's going to be an HP commercial model, with a three-year, carry-in warranty, from HP. (Not the extended warranty that a lot of places will try to sell you.)

Because, frankly, the day your warranty runs out, your laptop becomes disposable.

(Actually, my answer has changed a bit. It went from "If I ever buy a laptop" to "If I buy another laptop".)

I've given the same answer to anybody who asked that question, for the last 10 years.

I work in a store where I fix broken laptops. I do it for a living. I see a lot of broken laptops. (The ones that don't break, I don't see.)

If I ever buy a laptop, it's going to be an HP commercial model, with a three-year, carry-in warranty, from HP. (Not the extended warranty that a lot of places will try to sell you.)

Because, frankly, the day your warranty runs out, your laptop becomes disposable.

(Actually, my answer has changed a bit. It went from "If I ever buy a laptop" to "If I buy another laptop".)

working to repair laptops, I'd say you've probably picked up a bit of pessimism. I've had my Dell for a two years now with minimal warranty, but never had to use it. Its still in the same condition (hardware-wise) as the day I bought it. No screen issues, HDD issues, keyboard/mouse issues...

Personally, I think Dells tend to be a great value for the price. Whenever someone wants me to pick a computer for their needs, a Dell always seems to be the one that fits for the best price for what their getting.

If you go laptop, i dont recommend Dell. I had 3 Dells before I gave up on them. They were nothing but trouble. However, my family has had 2 Dell desktops and they've been great.

I bought a Toshiba for school and it has been great, although i just upgraded to a HP Slimline desktop because i needed more space.

If you go laptop i have to recommend either an HP or Sony- preferably an HP.

Sony. You can get a blu-ray player in it and watch movies. Normally I'd recommend a macbook but you ruled that out haha.

Seriously go check out the Sony Vaios. They are priced right and usually have hdmi out and blu-ray players. Very sweet.

Also every dell I've had has been a pos but thats personal experience.

Congrats on going to Kelley! I am also a business major and I have gotten by okay with my MacBookPro but I probably wouldnt recommend it unless you have quick access to a desktop (no macros in excel wtf?). I think both Sony and HP make excellent laptops and you cant go wrong with either. Budget will probably play into this as Sony's are more expensive but from what I have seen they are excellent.

I went through this process last year. I'd recommend what I have now: A Lenovo Thinkpad (T-Series). They're extremely durable and should last you all four years of college. Want to know just how durable these things are?

I spill water on a part of the keyboard and it keeps on going, no problems whatsoever. I dropped it once (on a hard surface) and it was fine, no damage.

I guess the only problem might be price if you're going for a cheaper PC. I believe my Thinkpad cost roughly $1500, though I did customize and upgrade it. (9 cell ion battery for 4-5 hours of uncharged use, Lojack Security system, etc). And Thinkpad's aren't very stylish.

I find it appropriate to use this comparison, though: A Thinkpad is like a good offensive lineman; not glamourous looking or flashy, but solid, durable, and extremely reliable.

Another issue with picking the laptop is even within the brand, is which one of they offer. For example for sony, do I go with a CS model or one of the many others.

I think right now, I am leaning towards a Sony. My dad is leaning towards a Dell. We'll have to talk it out, but then he knows more about computers than I do, he just wants me to do some of my own research.

Get the HP Touchsmart laptop. It has multi touch and runs Windows 7 really well. You can write on it with a pen, works with your fingers like an ipnone and has a remote control that stores inside it. It competely changes the computing experience. It is like going from no mouse to a mouse.

I had a Dell Inspiron for all 5 years of college and never had a problem with it. It was a reliable computer. When something did happen to it (though it was my fault) with the computer under warranty Dell was incredibly quick to respond with any repairs. A technician came out to fix my computer the day after I had filed my request for technical assistance. Quick and professional.

But it was the rugged reliability of the computer that really gave me more than my money's worth.

So I am starting to research Laptops to get later this summer for college next year. I know I need a PC because many of the business classes at my school [i am attending Indiana University next year] require windows and I don't want to put up with the hassle of putting windows on a Mac.

So I have done some research on Sony and Dell so far. To me, it all seems the same. And the reviews I have searched online don't seem legit to me. So from your guys knowledge, experience, etc, Whats the best laptop.

Placing Windows on a MAC is easy and cheaper than buying a new laptop. Make it a dual boot laptop and get the best of both worlds. Besides, all of the newer MACs have Intel chips. I know a few software and hardware developers that have MACs and have it setup with 3 OS systems, MAC, Windows, and Linux. I've already got my wife asking for a MAC for her next laptop as well. On the offside that you decide to still go ahead and buy a new laptop, consider first what you will be putting the laptop through and what you truly need. I've always liked larger screens, but a few of my friends complained that they can't fit the larger laptops on the airline trays when they have to travel on business. Me personally, I use a Dell Precision M6300 mobile workstation. It's a honker that weighs 8.6lbs and is a beast to haul around. But it's necessary for the engineering work I do. Flash is nice, but cover all of your requirements first.

If Windows 7 comes out soon, wait for that. I just got a Dell Studio and am experiencing Vista for the first time and I hate it. No complaints from the Dell yet.....but it's been about 6 days.

I got my brother to get himself a Dell Studio 15 laptop and he's had it for about a month now. He loves it. It beats the hell out of his "winbook" that we nicknamed the "failbook" because of how awful it was.

Placing Windows on a MAC is easy and cheaper than buying a new laptop. Make it a dual boot laptop and get the best of both worlds. Besides, all of the newer MACs have Intel chips. I know a few software and hardware developers that have MACs and have it setup with 3 OS systems, MAC, Windows, and Linux. I've already got my wife asking for a MAC for her next laptop as well. On the offside that you decide to still go ahead and buy a new laptop, consider first what you will be putting the laptop through and what you truly need. I've always liked larger screens, but a few of my friends complained that they can't fit the larger laptops on the airline trays when they have to travel on business. Me personally, I use a Dell Precision M6300 mobile workstation. It's a honker that weighs 8.6lbs and is a beast to haul around. But it's necessary for the engineering work I do. Flash is nice, but cover all of your requirements first.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he already has a MAC, but he's just saying ahead of time, knowing someone will suggest a Mac Book Pro or something, that a Mac is not what he's looking for.

IBM/Lenovo or Toshiba. Those seem to be the brands with the least amount of problems I hear about. I've had a Toshiba for two years now with minimal problems.

Sony, you pay more than an IBM for, and you don't get as good of a product. Dell and HP, you get problems. Sure you can buy the upper line versions of Dell or HP, but then you end up paying the same or more than an IBM. With a Toshiba, you don't have to buy one of their highest levels, and you still get a solid computer.

In all honesty, as long as you treat your laptop right and know how to handle technology, any laptop should do. What I mean is running things like ad-aware and spybot regularly and not downloading resource hogging things like internet toolbars and whatnot.

My HP laptop has been falling apart lately. A few months ago my internal wireless card died on me. I got that fixed, then I had problems with overheating. Now, my hard drive just died on me. This has all happened in the last 4 months. Its an HP dv6406nr. Have you heard about alot of problems with those? I loved my laptop up until recently, but now I'm starting to hate HP. And I've only had it for 2 years.

I've got a hatred for Dell...

I've got an Acer that I got on Black Friday of '06, I really like it, except for the fact that one of the hinges was too tight so now it's only running one hinge from the screen to the keyboard...

Other than that, I can play WoW on it without any internal upgrades which is good, it's got me through 3ish years of college and hasn't had any internal malfunctions... (I leave it on all the time and still runs like a champ)

My theory has always been: Buy from the people that NEED you to buy them, it will be a better product... [sidetrack]I had my PC built at a local shop and if anything ever went wrong or I needed an upgrade they remembered me and would help me out for free or a minimal cost...

My HP laptop has been falling apart lately. A few months ago my internal wireless card died on me. I got that fixed, then I had problems with overheating. Now, my hard drive just died on me. This has all happened in the last 4 months. Its an HP dv6406nr. Have you heard about alot of problems with those? I loved my laptop up until recently, but now I'm starting to hate HP. And I've only had it for 2 years.

I quit my job a year and a half ago to become a full time caregiver for my Mom. (Yes, I am a 50 year old Trekkie who lives in his Mother's house.) That's why all of my info is a couple years old.

As to overheating, all laptops have really teeny fans for cooling. (And in my opinion, the smaller the fan is, the shorter the lifespan.) And they all tend to accumulate dust in the "ductwork".

Now, there is a thing that I saw fairly regularly (as in, once a month or so) on units that used a certain technique for cooling. (I can't tell if your model uses this technique.)

Short description is that on some units, the fan sucks air into the bottom of the unit, and then pushes it out, though a "radiator" (a collection of thin metal plates, closely spaced). Drawback with this design is that the hole in the bottom of the laptop has big holes, the fan has big holes, but the radiator has tiny holes. If there's a lot of dust/hair, it tends to get pulled into the unit, but it can't fit through the radiator. It clogs up. You get a situation where the fan's running just fine, but the air isn't moving.

Unfortunately, in almost all cases, the only way to fix the problem is for a skilled technician to disassemble the unit, pull the cooling assembly, then disassemble the cooling assembly. Once it's disassembled, what you find resembles a piece of felt, in between the fan and the radiator. The clog literally comes in a single piece. Sometimes it's even pretty rigid.

Typically that only cost our minimum charge ($56, one hour, for a laptop) to do. However, nobody can tell if that's really your problem without actually doing the work. And it requires somebody who can disassemble your laptop. (Which takes some experience, to do without breaking anything.)

(A very few units have a special door that can be removed, to access the cooling unit. If you have one of those units, then maybe it's do-it-yourself-able.)

Another thing that can work, if things haven't gotten completely sour, is to get a can of "canned air", and blow it through the unit
backwards
. Find out where the hot air comes out when the fan is running, and blow the air into that outlet. Can't hurt.

That's cool that you take care of your mom. Hopefully things are going well with her.

When I bought it from BestBuy I bought the extended warranty for it, thankfully. So all my problems have been free to fix from Geek Squad. I just find it strange all these things have been happening in the last few months. Like I said, before all the problems I loved my laptop. I just wasn't sure if there had been alot of problems with it or not. I know they had a recall for the internal wireless. But it just seems like when I get one thing fixed on it, something else goes wrong shortly after.

Archived