Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

College Laptop

redskins4life234

I've got an Acer that I got on Black Friday of '06, I really like it, except for the fact that one of the hinges was too tight so now it's only running one hinge from the screen to the keyboard...

If you can, get that repaired as soon as you possibly can.

Every laptop has to have a cable (or more than one) that runs from the motherboard (under the keyboard) to the display. That cable is very thin, and therefore very fragile. It also gets bent back and forth every time you open and close the laptop. That cable in under probably 100 times as much stress if you only have one working hinge.

In addition, laptop hinges are intentionally made stiff. (They have to be, so that the display stays where you put it.) Almost always, those hinges attach to the plastic piece that encloses the CPU, and the Display. The way they attach is by screws, which screw into threaded brass "inserts" which are molded into the plastic.

A common problem is for those brass inserts to come out of the plastic.

IMO, if the hinges on your laptop are failing, then your laptop is near failure. And in virtually all such cases, the repair procedure is "buy a new laptop". (The display is by far the most expensive component in your laptop.)

You may be able to avoid death, if you can turn your laptop into a desktop computer. Set it up, and then don't move it. (The strain on the components occur when you open and close the laptop. If you never move it, it could last a long time.) In addition, almost all laptops have a VGA output. Plug in a standard monitor, and what you've got is a really small desktop system.

Let's be honest folks.

If a laptop is used on a regular daily basis I wouldn't expect it to last much past 2 years. I had a Dell that lasted about 2 years, and if I would of taken better care of it, maybe it lasted another 6 months. To me, if you can get 2 years out of a laptop that you paid $500 for then it's $ well spent.

If you have the extra dough go with an Apple. I know numerous people who have owned apples and absoultley love them. Again, they are expensive so if dough is an issue then Apple isn't the way to go.

Check with your school.

My daughter will get a package deal with her college's IT department where for a specified model of Dell Laptop they provide a four year no-questions asked warranty on site including parts replacement.

• 4 weeks later...

Dell all the way. My wife and I both have one and she just got a new one. No problems at all. Her old one is 4 years old with no problems. She just wanted a new one cuz well she is my wife and likes new things...lol Im giving her old one to my mom because it works perfectly and my mom needs a new computer. I had a dell desktop that lasted me 6 years and now my brother is using it. The customer support was good the few times I needed it as well.

get a desktop. You might think a laptop is worth it but its really not

I had a laptop but it was not portable. I always hated it. If you have a group project you have to share computers with some one else. I'd would have rather use my comp to take notes instead of printing power point lectures. A laptop is definitely worth it for school.

Plus you can watch movies on the toilet. I'd like to see your desktop do that.

I had a laptop but it was not portable. I always hated it. If you have a group project you have to share computers with some one else. I'd would have rather use my comp to take notes instead of printing power point lectures. A laptop is definitely worth it for school.

Plus you can watch movies on the toilet. I'd like to see your desktop do that.

Ya i just finished college at UMD almost a year ago. Its such a waste to take notes on a computer.

Archived