Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

FOXNEWS reports 3 shot at Holocaust Museum

NavyDave

is the museum really just packed with jews? I would think it was like every other museum in DC and just packed with kids/every day people.

did he ask them for some ID specifying they were Jewish before unloading on them? If you are going to do something this stupid you might as well at least make sure you shoot the right people. If these people were just normal Christian American he pretty much did the exact opposite of what he would want to.

I would guess that there is a high concentration of Jews or people who are sympathetic to the events surrounding the Holocaust. In this man's mind, that probably makes them all his enemy.

I do know there are many Jews in there all the time. One of the great services the Museum provides is a geneology department and extensive records to reconnect and find lost family. I spent a day in there trying to find whether any of the branches I believed totally cut off had anything left.

is the museum really just packed with jews? I would think it was like every other museum in DC and just packed with kids/every day people.

did he ask them for some ID specifying they were Jewish before unloading on them? If you are going to do something this stupid you might as well at least make sure you shoot the right people. If these people were just normal Christian American he pretty much did the exact opposite of what he would want to.

I don't know what he was thinking but I can take a guess that he saw anyone, jewish or otherwise, who ackowledged the holocaust as the enemy. Nothing he did was the opposite of what he wanted to do, or he wouldn't have done it. He struck fear in the hearts of probably everyone in that museum and all those in proximity to it. He probably accomplished just what he set out to do, even if he didn't kill everyone in the place like he probably hoped to do.

I can see the symbolism but I dont get the logic.

You're searching for logic where there is none. There is nothing logical about killing people for the sake of making a point or otherwise. Logic as you or I understand it was most likely not at play here.

He didn't try to shoot any Jews. He shot one black guy - the security guard at the museum:

2009_0610_stephentyronejohns.png

Officer Stephen Tyrone Johns died heroically in the line of duty today. There are no words to express our grief and shock over these events. He served on the Museum's security staff for six years. Our thoughts and prayers go out to Officer Johns' family.

We have made the decision to close the Museum tomorrow in honor of Officer Johns, and our flags will be flown at half mast in his memory.

http://dcist.com/2009/06/officer_stephen_tyrone_johns_died.php

R.I.P.

He didn't try to shoot any Jews. He shot one black guy - the security guard at the museum:

The reports say he started to open fire as soon as he got into the building, but it didn't say who, what or whom he was aiming at. This poor soul just happened to be hit.

Never forget, but never let hate and despair win.

What a sad and terrible event -- museums are places of learning and understanding, not violence. May the shot guard RIP. He died in the line of duty.

And that was an amazing, touching story, Burgold. Thank you for relating it. Your grandparents and mother certainly had a journey.

And I am sorry to hear of your tragedy, Keeastman.
Thanks. Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but this museum shooting story just added fuel to my discouragement lately and it spilled over into this thread.

My heart hurts for the loved ones of all victims, no matter how their lives are taken by senseless acts of violence. I (and I think most all of us) will never understand the type of mindset that leads a human to take another human's life.

Thanks. Wasn't trying to hijack the thread, but this museum shooting story just added fuel to my discouragement lately and it spilled over into this thread.

It's all tied together.

Often I think the greatest tragedy of the Holocaust is that we've had thirty more. And while this event at the Smithsonian has great symbolic in addition to the murder, all life is holy and should be celebrated and if unduly taken away, mourned.

News Channel 8 locally and WTTG fox5 are updating the story

http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/061009_2_shot_inside_dc_holocaust_museum

2 Shot Inside DC

Holocaust Museum

Updated: Wednesday, 10 Jun 2009, 1:30 PM EDT

Published : Wednesday, 10 Jun 2009, 1:07 PM EDT

WASHINGTON - Authorities say at least two people have been shot at the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum in Washington.

D.C. police spokeswoman Traci Hughes says a person walked into the museum with a rifle and shot a guard. Hughes says the shooter was also shot.

It's things like the highlighted that make me really nervous. How the hell does he get inside with a rifle? I mean, I could understand a handgun, they are easy to conceal. but a RIFLE? :doh: At what point on the outside does some say, "Hey, that's not a giant pen, is it?" I just don't get it.

Well, from the way I've heard it described, he didn't really get in. He basically took a step or two into the building and that was where the confrontation took place. Really, security needs to be praised here. They did as well as you could ever hope really.

On CNN right now, they are talking about how white supremist groups are celebrating right now for his "heroism" today. :doh: Terrible.
can this be considered terrorism?

Interesting question. I'd probably consider him a terrorist. I'm not sure if I'd consider the act one of terrorism.

Well, from the way I've heard it described, he didn't really get in. He basically took a step or two into the building and that was where the confrontation took place. Really, security needs to be praised here. They did as well as you could ever hope really.

Oh, I hear ya. I'm not criticizing them. They obviously stopped a monster from completing his agenda today. I applaud them & the guard that died today...very sad.

What I'm more curious about is the surrounding civilians prior to getting there. I haven't read or seen all the details, but I guess I'm trying to figure out at what point do others intervene? I guess I would like to see more people actually react BEFORE things like this pop off, not just security.

What a tragedy.

BTW, Burgold, that was an amazing story about your grandparents. Truly inspiring.

Archived