Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Best TV Character Of All Time (Group 3) CLOSED

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

I haven't seen any other groups but Omar is key and so is House but Hawkeye is the gem here. I hope to god someone puts Larry Sanders on one....but to me the best character ever on TV is Al Swearangen from Deadwood.....nothing beats speaking like Shakespeare if he was a sailor with all the F bombs and C words.....magical. :)

MASH is another great show with a flood of memorable characters. Hawkeye is a good choice, he was a devil and a morality anchor. Jamie Farr's character whose name I am blanking on might have also be an interesting choice. The character went from a sight gag to a very real three-dimensional person. Pretty hard to do.

I'm still waiting for the groups that have Archie Bunker, Eric Cartman, Vic Mackey, Walter White, John Carter, Peter Griffin, Dale Gribble, Dwight Schrute, Michael Scott, Josh Lyman, Jed Bartlett, Lenny Briscoe, Jack McCoy, Master Shake, Meatwad, William Murderface, etc., etc., etc.

Of course, the winner is going to be some horribly cliched lead detective character from some crappy CBS old person drama, but still let's get some better nominees. I was supposed to choose 5, but I could only find three really worthy characters. That's not to say the shows are bad, but I'm sorry, as good and influential as I Love Lucy was, Lucy Ricardo is not a good character. She has one dimension.

I'm still waiting for the groups that have Archie Bunker, Eric Cartman, Vic Mackey, Walter White, John Carter, Peter Griffin, Dale Gribble, Dwight Schrute, Michael Scott, Josh Lyman, Jed Bartlett, Lenny Briscoe, Jack McCoy, Master Shake, Meatwad, William Murderface, etc., etc., etc.

Uh, I've heard of three of your nominees.

Of course, the winner is going to be some horribly cliched lead detective character from some crappy CBS old person drama

Have I mentioned that Mom's favorite show is Matlock? :)

That's not to say the shows are bad, but I'm sorry, as good and influential as I Love Lucy was, Lucy Ricardo is not a good character. She has one dimension.

I can understand the criticism. I said the same thing about Hawkeye Pierce. IMO, he wasn't the best character on that show. Maybe not in the top 5.

(Although I do think that Lucy Ricardo was a full character.)

Uh, I've heard of three of your nominees.

That speaks more to your pattern of viewership than the quality of my suggestions. I find it hard to comprehend that someone trying to offer a legitimate opinion on television has never watched South Park, the Shield, Breaking Bad, ER, Family Guy, King of the Hill, The Office, The West Wing, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or Metalocalypse... ok, more so the first 8 rather than the last two, but still, your taste in TV seems pretty damn narrow.

Edit: Also, it's pretty sad, but my mom loves Matlock too, and she's only 8 years older than you.

The character went from a sight gag to a very real three-dimensional person. Pretty hard to do.

And not always a good move, either.

I'm a big fan of Hill Street Blues. But I liked Det Belcher and Lt Hunter better when they were caricatures than I did later on, when they tried making them into full characters.

Of course, the winner is going to be some horribly cliched lead detective character from some crappy CBS old person drama, but still let's get some better nominees. I was supposed to choose 5, but I could only find three really worthy characters. That's not to say the shows are bad, but I'm sorry, as good and influential as I Love Lucy was, Lucy Ricardo is not a good character. She has one dimension.

Great TV characters do NOT require massive character development, lengthy backstories or delving into their psyches, though lol...as long as there is something unique about the character, that they're enjoyed by those who view them, and that they are portrayed excellently by the actors who are portraying them, then they qualify as excellent tv characters.

And I'm sorry, but the character of Lucy Ricardo is FAR from one dimensional...the storylines they put her in might have not had much depth, but the character of Lucy herself had an enormous amount of range. And Lucille Ball pulled that mother****er off to perfection.

Archived