Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Team of the Decade

MattFancy

Just a very bad and MEDIOCRE decade for us. I really hope this year is a successful transition into 2010-2020 decade. A super bowl win or deep run in the playoffs will easily help me to forget about this horrendous 2000-2010 campaign. I have high hopes for our near future looking at our "past" mistakes and new focus. I just really hope that Snyderetto can commit to consistency so we can be the new patriots for this decade.

That god-awful show American Dad even referenced Jacobs trucking Landry (much to my chagrin).

Oh man, are you serious? That is horrible.

I'll agree with the assessment of our franchise over the past decade. Sad but true.

He didn't admit to bias...he admitted to the perception of bias by Skins fans.

And when summarizing the last decade, Banks cannot be blamed for putting the Skins in a less-than-positive light.

I agree with him on the ranking. I guess I should've read his wording closer. Oh well, lazy eyes on my part.

Following the 1999 season, coming off of an NFC East championship with Brad Johnson as QB, Stephen Davis at RB and multiple 1st rd picks as a result of the Sean Gilbert signing, we were poised to be near the top of this list. What a waste.

Wow...when you look at it that way, it's even more depressing. But you're absolutely correct. I wonder how this franchise would have looked if we didn't go off the deep end in 2000 with the FAs and trading up for the 2 top-3 picks...

Wow...when you look at it that way, it's even more depressing. But you're absolutely correct. I wonder how this franchise would have looked if we didn't go off the deep end in 2000 with the FAs and trading up for the 2 top-3 picks...

+1

Heck I wonder how this franchise would've looked had Marty Schottenheimer not been fired for...I can't even type his name anymore that's how much that clown pisses me off.

Did we trade up for those picks? I thought one was from the Ricky Williams trade...

Did we trade up for those picks? I thought one was from the Ricky Williams trade...

If I recall and if I am wrong feel free to correct me....We had three picks in that 1st round (1 from New Orleans, our own and one from Carolina)....San Fran needed the picks so called Vinny about 2 of those picks for the #3 pick overall.

We had 3 1st rd picks and used them to move up. Combination of the Sean Gilbert free agency compensation and Ricky Williams/Champ Bailey trades.
If I recall and if I am wrong feel free to correct me....We had three picks in that 1st round (1 from New Orleans, our own and one from Carolina)....San Fran needed the picks so called Vinny about 2 of those picks for the #3 pick overall.

I see now that we got the #3 pick from San Fran. I wasn't sure about that one, but I knew we had gotten the #2 that year because of the trade with the Saints the year before.

"Six head coaches"...yeah, that is IF you count interim coach Robiskie lol...I mean, seriously...FIVE head coaches would have been damning enough, don't you think?

Anyway, no real problem with the ranking either...although there's little to separate the #19 spot (Saints), the #21 spot (Jags) and the #23 spot (Skins)...it's more or less a log jam in that area, with no team really outdoing the other teams to any great degree:

Regular Season:

Saints: .486

Jaguars: .479

Redskins: .458

Playoff Wins/Record:

Saints: 2-2

Jaguars: 1-2

Redskins: 1-2

Playoff seasons:

Saints: 2

Jaguars: 2

Redskins: 2

Winning Seasons:

Saints: 3

Jaguars: 3

Redskins: 2

Losing Seasons:

Saints: 3

Jaguars: 5

Redskins: 4

I think the Giants should be above the Eagles because they won a Super Bowl. I know the Eagles did well, but come on...Super Bowl.

I don't have a problem with Philly being ahead of the Giants. I know NY has the SB ring but I think the 5-2 edge in NFCCG appearances is too significant to ignore. If Plax hadn't shot himself and NY had beaten Philly in the playoff game last year I think Banks would've reversed the teams, and definitely would have if NY had gone on to beat AZ.

And, because of the two SB appearances, its tough not to rank the Giants high, but its amazing that they are #5 and yet have had winning records in only 5 out of the 9 seasons.

I'm not going to do it for the whole league, but over the last 9 years, the Skins are:

37-35 at home

29-43 on the road

Color me shocked that we actually have a winning record at home. I wouldn't have thought that. i knew that we were pretty putrid on the road. But I thought we were under .500 at home too.

"Six head coaches"...yeah, that is IF you count interim coach Robiskie lol...I mean, seriously...FIVE head coaches would have been damning enough, don't you think?

Anyway, no real problem with the ranking either...although there's little to separate the #19 spot (Saints), the #21 spot (Jags) and the #23 spot (Skins)...it's more or less a log jam in that area, with no team really outdoing the other teams to any great degree:

I think that you basically create 3 groups: Elite, Middle of the road, and bottom dwellers.

I don't think you can really argue that the most consistent teams of the decade have been New England, Indy, Pittsburgh and Philly. The Giants are the last entry into the top 5 because while they haven't been consistent, they have made 2 SB appearances. Those are your "elite" teams.

I think we can all agree that Detroit, Houston, Cleveland, Arizona and Cincy were the bottom dwellers for most of the last 9 years.

Oakland is a tough case because you WANT to put them in the bottom dwellers category, but while Jon Gruden was there, they were pretty good.

I think that if you're looking at it holistically, you basically have the top 5, the bottom 5, and you can pick the order out of a hat for virtually everybody else.

23 sounds right. and no one can claim this guy is some "hater", the cowboys are right down there with us at 20.

Well, not entirely. Don Banks does have a history of negative coverage of the Skins (at least it seems that way) but he's dead on this time. Hard to argue a #23 ranking when all the Skins have done is have a revolving door at coach and not much to show for all the money we've spent.

Decade's not entirely over though. There may yet be hope!

we have had some really lean years here recently, and I can only cringe in agony thinking about the state of the franchise before Joe Gibbs 2.0 came along. The second half of the decade we have at least gotten a level of mediocracy from the francise instead of the cringe inducing Spurrier era.

Hardly. He just made a comment at the Redskin game he was watching about making a tackle. No names or opposing teams were mentioned.

I must be confusing the John Riggins American Dad episode with that then. I recently saw a tv show (of the Family Guy-ish variety I think) with that specific reference. I'll try to find out what it was if you care, but can't promise anything.

Are we?

8-8

8-8

7-9

5-11

6-10

10-6/Wild Card

5-11

9-7/Wild Card

8-8

16-0/Super Bowl

Even that might not make us a top 10 team of the 2000s...let alone just a Super Bowl season!

I see what you are saying, but in my opinion, if you win a Superbowl, you are automatically placed above ALL teams that didn't win a Superbowl. The Pats have won 3, and the Steelers have won 2 this decade, which would place them 1-2, followed by the Ravens, Bucs, Colts, Giants, and 2009 winner (not necessarily in that order). So, in all likelihood, we would fall at the end of that list under your scenario, but yes, 16-0 and SB victory (or 10-6 and SB victory) would definately put us in the Top 10 (by my count, #7). Now we'll see if it happens . . .

Archived