Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US SOCCER WC qualifier tomorrow night

Kilmer17

If we played a formation that suited our skillsets, and played players that gave us the best chance of winning, maybe just maybe the us would look good.

4-3-1-2 should be our formation. With dempsey and altidore up top, and adu in the center field behind them. After that, we have problems. Beasley and Wynne constantly get into position only to flub the ball into the middle. Donovan just blows. Im tired of watching him overate his way throughout the game.

Unfortunately i expect the same crap next game, and the game after that. Kick the ball upfield and have someone run after it. that person will try to cross it, only to get it blocked or booted out because its poorly placed. This team will not change until we have a new coach/system.

are these commentators on contract with the US soccer federation or something?

tell it like it is..they played awful tonight

Finally another person realizes the biased commentary made consistently by the guys they get to do U.S. games

Now regarding the game - I hate being right all the time when it comes to soccer.

Kilmer - do you still think this team is capable of winning something substantial? The exact glaring holes that they have which I brought up in other posts came out today again. No creativity or even skill for that matter in the midfield. How many times did the U.S. string together two to three QUALITY passes and links in the midfield? I would say less than 4. Speed on the outside? Non existent. The same poor strategy of long balls and kicking the ball and running continues to plague the United States as it has throughout the history of both the national team and the MLS.

There is absolutely no possesion with this team. ZERO. Even in games where they are at home (and let's be real here . . . the U.S. only seems to really play somewhat well at home . . . and last time I checked, the World Cups are not being held in the States anytime soon), they do not have the individual skill or composure to even hold on to the ball in tight spaces . . . and the players just seem to be so uncomfortable making the simple passes or even switches from side to side.

It seriously is pathetic and painful to watch the United States play . . . Especially after real soccer fans have been spoiled as of late with the quality of the recent Champions League.

They just put themselves in a dangerous position this weekend . . . the pressure is all on them to get a result at the very least. They will be pressing for the victory, which will surely open up even more holes in a porous, lackluster defense. Don't sleep on Honduras . . . They are not Costa Rica in Costa Rica . . . but can still give the U.S. a hell of a run even

in Chicago.

Costa Rica?!?! REDICULOUS!!!!!!

The U.S. team is heading into a big stretch of tough games and they need to get their heads and hearts in the game.

Saturday 6/6 they play Honduras at Soldier Field in Chicago.

Then they head to South Africa:

6/15 vs. Italy

6/18 vs. Brazil

6/21 vs. Egypt

I hope this loss is a one-time screwup.

^^^

While i reluctantly agree with most of your points, i dont on the account of speed. We have speed. But our players get there and cant control the ball, or cant cross it, or cross it horribly. We do sting along passes, but they are all 6 ft away from each other. We have a bunch of creativity in the midfield... on the bench. Adu and Davies create the most chances with the ball. And altidore is the best score we got. That being said, we can be certain to expect 0 change to the lineup that even gives this team a resemblence of a chance against worldclass teams.

Bob Bradley is an idiot, wtf is he playing at? Beasley at LB? Put him in his proper place you idiot!

BTW where is Spector? Wouldnt players good enough for the EPL play in the MNT?

Yeah i totally agree what in the world is he trying to do with that move. No wins in Costa Rica, no wins in Europe, i wonder what this team has to do to break these types of cycles. Oh well, my international team has always been Italy. I'm a Redskins, DC United, Wizards, Caps, UVA and JMU fan (f tech and the turtles for that matter) but always been an Italy fan for international soccer. Really though we all suffered enough watching the likes of Alexi and Agoos.

Finally another person realizes the biased commentary made consistently by the guys they get to do U.S. games

Now regarding the game - I hate being right all the time when it comes to soccer.

Kilmer - do you still think this team is capable of winning something substantial? The exact glaring holes that they have which I brought up in other posts came out today again. No creativity or even skill for that matter in the midfield. How many times did the U.S. string together two to three QUALITY passes and links in the midfield? I would say less than 4. Speed on the outside? Non existent. The same poor strategy of long balls and kicking the ball and running continues to plague the United States as it has throughout the history of both the national team and the MLS.

There is absolutely no possesion with this team. ZERO. Even in games where they are at home (and let's be real here . . . the U.S. only seems to really play somewhat well at home . . . and last time I checked, the World Cups are not being held in the States anytime soon), they do not have the individual skill or composure to even hold on to the ball in tight spaces . . . and the players just seem to be so uncomfortable making the simple passes or even switches from side to side.

It seriously is pathetic and painful to watch the United States play . . . Especially after real soccer fans have been spoiled as of late with the quality of the recent Champions League.

They just put themselves in a dangerous position this weekend . . . the pressure is all on them to get a result at the very least. They will be pressing for the victory, which will surely open up even more holes in a porous, lackluster defense. Don't sleep on Honduras . . . They are not Costa Rica in Costa Rica . . . but can still give the U.S. a hell of a run even

in Chicago.

That was a terrible game. No doubt about it.

But it was also played in terrible conditions. You can not dismiss all the progress they've made because of this game. With the right players in the right places we can play with anyone. The team has proven that before.

Let's see how theyt rebound on saturday.

I remember what it's like to play on astro-turf against a team used to the bounces. It's hard as all get out. The basics kind of go out the window. Simple things like trapping the ball become incredibly difficult when you're notused to the surface. Playing soccer at that level is all about time and space. Most of those players are good enough to hurt you given enough time and space. When you can't trap or play the ball cleanly, you lose both. On a surface like that, the ball is always there a half second before you were expecting and usually at a slightly higher point. When you trained, you do so by training your body that a ball coming like this will get to you a certain way. On that surface, it doesn't. You suck, or at least you look like you do when trying to play a possession game like the U.S. likes to do. Watching that game gave me flash backs of playing Hopkins on their crap astroturf surface at the time. grrr.

That's about as much of an excuse as I can make for the crap I saw in the first half before falling asleep. It still doesn't explain why the players were playing with about as much energy as I had at that point. Our left side was crud. We couldn't control the ball which I could understand, but we gave way too much time and space. What's more our spacing was terrible! The spacing isn't an issue that can be blaimed on the field. We simply gave no options to the man with the ball for most of the half. We were passing backwards. I saw more players with hands on hips than I ever want to see, and it was the first half. That's not the all the field's fault. Were a step slow and playing chase. The give and go for the second goal was a total lazyness/conditioning goal to give up. It looks great, and I'd love to show it to highchoolers here to show how it should go...but it was a highschool level play. Absolutely pathetic.

I hope I see better this weekend.

Archived