Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US SOCCER WC qualifier tomorrow night

Kilmer17

Ah, thanks. Do you have a link for that table? I can't seem to find it.

If Mexico only finishes fourth in CONCACAF, there may be a chance that they fall behind the US on this seeding chart as well, depending on the variables used.

http://www.football-rankings.info/2009/01/2010-wc-seeding-formula-based-on-latest.html

Not likely. Advancing out of the group the last 3 WCs weighs more.

Just wanted to post some pics and share my experience from the game. We drove from DC to Chicago on Friday. It was actually a really nice drive. No traffic once we got out of MD, tons of farmland, and only one cop/speeding scare.

We saw a couple Honduras fans on the way up but I had no idea what we were in for once we got there. It was seriously like going to Canton and seeing the town flooded with Redskins fans, except in this case it was Honduras fans. There was blue and white EVERYWHERE! The atmosphere at Soldier Field was absolutely awesome. I'd estimate 70-75% Honduras fans. And yes, many of them came up from Honduras. The great thing was (completely unlike Skins fans), the Honduras fans were in the stadium well before kickoff. There were chants, the wave (known to them simply as "la hola" haha), and lots of horn blowing (could not hear out of my left ear on Sunday).

There were plenty of US fans scattered throughout the crowd - mostly in the lower level on the sidelines, and above and below my section. I sat in the 200's directly behind the goal the US was shooting at first half (this was great for the PK). The whole stadium was pretty hype during the first half (standing room only), but morale and momentum really shifted after we got the PK. The US fans were easily drowned out with chants before the game started and early on. Exactly as I predicted though, Honduras came out strong before we scored and turned things around.

All in all the game was awesome and I'm sooooo glad I made the trip :) Pics are below...

The walk in to Soldier Field

dscn5255.jpg

One giant Honduran flag

scaled.php?server=230&filename=dscn5267.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

The US team warms up in front of a sea of blue and white

scaled.php?server=230&filename=dscn5271.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

scaled.php?server=198&filename=dscn5276f.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

scaled.php?server=195&filename=dscn5279d.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

Don't worry, we already have the trophy!!!!!

scaled.php?server=193&filename=dscn5293.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

This was for all the Hondurans we were passing on the way home :silly:

scaled.php?server=200&filename=dscn5309s.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=480

nice pics ren

i guess i dont watch enough bears games or something but that is one heck of a stadium

The stadium is really nice. Also it is ACTUALLY IN CHICAGO!!!!!!!! So the walk there was pretty sweet. Here's another shot of it, including one of two jumbotrons and the skyline.

43955151674789008190000.jpg

So, El Salvador vs Honduras tonight? Me thinks some ESers have a stake in this game...

Here are the current standings according to ESPN (points on the left)

12 Costa Rica

10 United States

05 El Salvador

04 Honduras

03 Mexico

02 Trinidad & Tobago

Two ties would be HUGE for the US.

A Hondo/ES tie and a TnT victory of Mexico would be perfect. It would drop our magic number from 20 to 17.

An update fron Down Under.

The Aussies played Bahrain earlier tonight, and came away with a 2-0 victory. With the Aussies claiming their place in the WC last weekend, it will be all-out for those fighting for that final qualifying spot.

Congrats to the Socceroos!! :)

Wow, Argentina lost to Ecuador 2-0 today. This pushes Argentina much closer to the fifth position in their group, since they have a really tough remaining schedule (Brazil, Paraguay and Uruguay are three of their last four games).

As I mentioned before, having them drop to fifth is the worst fear of everyone in CONCACAF. Let's hope and pray that they don't.

Honduras NEEDS these 3 points. It used to be where Honduras would put up 5 goals on El Salvador on a daily basis but that team is playing extremely well and there is no way thats happening tonight. If Honduras wants to win this game they need to score within the first 15 minutes. Unlike the US game they also need to keep that attacking mentality and not be pleased with that one goal. I think it's going to be a great game on both sides with Honduras hopefully coming out with the win.

Mexico now up 2-1...

Also, I can't say I was expecting an Argentine loss, but you could kind of see it coming. This game was played in high altidudes, and the last time Argentina played in such conditions, they got MANHANDELED 6-0 against a team that slips my mind. Its pretty obvious that Maradona does not know how to prepare that team for such games.

I just can't believe there are so many good teams on the brink of even qualifying. (portugal, sweeden, Czech, ect.)

Mexico now up 2-1...

Also, I can't say I was expecting an Argentine loss, but you could kind of see it coming. This game was played in high altidudes, and the last time Argentina played in such conditions, they got MANHANDELED 6-0 against a team that slips my mind. Its pretty obvious that Maradona does not know how to prepare that team for such games.

I just can't believe there are so many good teams on the brink of even qualifying. (portugal, sweeden, Czech, ect.)

Bolivia blew away Argentina in the 6-1 defeat

I watched the Argentine game and they should have had control of that match - they missed a penalty and 2 or 3 great goal scoring opportunities. From recent games (all these qualifier games are shown live on Sky in the UK), Argentina lack a true striker to feed off of Messi etc. That 0-2 defeat was a classic example. Weird to think they might need to have a play-off to qualify.

I know another team could be Uruguay - they looked fantastic going forward aginst Brazil at the weekend but their defenders give away goals far too easily. They lost 4-0 (I think that was the final score) but there were times when they were giving Brazil a really hard time when they attacked. Plenty of skill, sharp passing and movement played at a high tempo.

Portugal, Sweden - teams past their prime and needing a total rebuild.

:helmet:

Points after last night's games:

Costa Rica 12

United States 10

Honduras 7

Mexico 6

El Salvador 5

Trinidad & Tobago 2

And am I right that there are no more qualifying games until August? Everything else this summer is Gold Cup and Confederations Cup?

That's correct. The next CONCACAF games are in August. The US is in Mexico, which will be huge. If the US can get at least one point at Azteca, they're almost certain to finish in the top three. Even if they lose, as long as they win the games they are supposed to (at home against El Salvador and Costa Rica and on the road against T&T), they will qualify.

The way Mexico has been playing lately, this might be the best chance in years for the US to steal some points on the road from them.

when did you guys consistantly put up 5 goals on us?

honduras has historically been worse or around el salvador dude

we have more world cup appearances than honduras

and yes i the 2000's they have been better..but look about even now id give you guys an edge on a neutral field (a slight one)

in the 90's you guys were awful and our diaz are and cienfuegos team was very close to qualification

the 80's were our best years for the both of us

but we're not exactly guatemala or panama lol

Everything else this summer is Gold Cup and Confederations Cup?

The Confederations Cup starts Sunday, with the US-Italy match on Monday. Every one of those games is being broadcast in HD on either ESPN or ESPN2, which is great.

The US is bringing a fairly strong roster, so it will be interesting to see how they do against some tough competition.

The Confederations Cup starts Sunday, with the US-Italy match on Monday. Every one of those games is being broadcast in HD on either ESPN or ESPN2, which is great.

The US is bringing a fairly strong roster, so it will be interesting to see how they do against some tough competition.

I just hope they use it as a chance to play as if it's for the WC. IE, no excuses, play t win, not to experiment, or just get a feel for SA, or any other bull****.

Treat it as the WC and lets really find out where we stand with a year to go.

when did you guys consistantly put up 5 goals on us?

honduras has historically been worse or around el salvador dude

we have more world cup appearances than honduras

and yes i the 2000's they have been better..but look about even now id give you guys an edge on a neutral field (a slight one)

in the 90's you guys were awful and our diaz are and cienfuegos team was very close to qualification

the 80's were our best years for the both of us

but we're not exactly guatemala or panama lol

Chill BRAH. I'm not talking about historically. I'm talking about the recent times since 2000. They are on the up swing again so yeah they are pretty good. We'll whoop that ass in El Salvador anyway.

Archived