Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

US SOCCER WC qualifier tomorrow night

Kilmer17

10 pm on one of the ESPNs.

At Costa Rica where we have NEVER won.

Heyduk is injured. So we've got some issues on the backline. But Spector is back to speed.

So maybe we'll see a backline of Spector, Onyewu, Bocanegra, and Beasley

Or we may play with 5 midfielders, slide Beasley up and put Pearce or Bornstein behind him.

If we play 4 midfielders, it will probably be Baby Bradley, Dempsey, Donovan and my own personal hope- Mastroeni. He's a seasoned vet who is a rock on D. He gives nothing to the attack, but we need a strong anchor for this game.

Ching will certainly start up front, and probably Altidore (who finally seems to have caught Bradleys attention).

I also think Torres has a shot to start and if not definitely come off the bench early.

After tomorrow, we play Honduras at home on Saturday.

Anything less than 3 points out of these two matches will be disastrous. 4 points just about assures us at least 4th place and 6 points does all but mathmatically put us through to South Africa.

USA USA USA USA

gotta help out El Salvador :)

Costa Rica isn't what it used to be back when wanchope was in his prime

but away games are always a battle. and i hope altidore starts seriously whats it gonna take for bradley to understand hes the best finisher they have

The Costa Rican team doesnt scare me. In fact, I think they have the worst side in the Hex. However, they get a huge boost from their fans, and they play on the worst field in the worst stadium in all of Concacaf. It's turf, but it's probably 10 years old, worn to the pavement in spots.

Add to that the fans who will make sure the hotel is kept awake and that the players are sufficiently drenched in urine and other disgusting projectiles from the stands, and it becomes on eof the most intimidating places to play in the world.

I'll be thrilled with a tie.

Also, we have 6 guys sitting on yellow cards (Gooch, Heyduk, Bradley, Altidore, Dempsey, Ricardo Clark). Any of them gets another (likely in the case of Gooch and Dempsey in this match) and they will have to sit on Sat vs Honduras.

To be honest, I'm not really worried. What you say is true about playing away games, but still we have a superior team. I think the pitch will be the biggest factor since our players are used to playing on perfect surfaces and it can be hard to adjust to a surface that's so "raw".

I don't think qualifying will be a problem. I just want to make sure we line up a bunch of friendlies against quality opponents before the WC. We seem to be shocked at the level of play the last 2 WCs.

I agree that CONCACAF hurts us, but that's why we need to schedule some good teams for tune ups before the WC. Two WCs ago now we almost beat Germany, so when this team is firing its a tough bunch to beat.

Kilmer, I appreciate you posting this stuff on here. I haven't been able to keep up with the National team like I've wanted to and I trust your analysis when it comes to this team.

In some ways, we are alot closer than people think to winning a WC.

We were the only team to get even a POINT off of WC Champ Italy. And we did it playing with 9 men. And in fact, scored a go ahead goal that was disallowed (I still say it was legit). Our junior teams are better versus the world than our current Big team is versus the world. that bodes well for the future.

What we lack is the one world class player in the midfield or forward that takes teams from WC teams or quarterfinalists to Champions.

We've never had a Messi, or a Cristian Ronaldo, or a Ballack.

Brazil is always going to be Brazil. But other than that, the rest of world goes in cycles.

We'll get a good guage of where we stand this summer during the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Starting June 15 we play Brazil, Egypt and Italy in a 6 day stretch. Every team is expected to have their A squad. The other group is Iraq, NZ, Spain and South Africa.

Further, if we keep winning Concacaf Gold Cups, do well in Confed Cups and do better in the WC, then we move up in the World Rankings and can supplant Mexico as a seeded team in the WC. Why does this matter? Because as it stands now, the USwill ALWAYS be in the goup of death. Because we are always the best 3rd tier team in the WC (compare to SK, ANgola, Tunisia etc). So instead of ALWAZYS drawing a top 10 team PLUS a top Euro side (or like last time, 2 of each), we will start getting 1 of those, plus a crap side and 2 of either Africa, Asia or lower South American side.

Also remember this, last time there were two teams left to draw. the US and South Korea. We got drawn into the group with Czech, Italy and Ghana (African Champion). SK got in with Togo, France and Switzerland. If we switched groups with SK, I would have bet we'd have made it as far if not farther than we did in 2002.

I'd like to see real friendlies scheduled as well. But what's the point of inviting Englands C team over to play our B side?

Do you have a soccer blog, Kilmer?

I'd like to see real friendlies scheduled as well. But what's the point of inviting Englands C team over to play our B side?

This is a good point. But wouldn't that be different in the build up to the WC? Those two or three friendlies right before? I thought those were games that the teams used to ramp up, or perhaps I'm mistaken?

Do you have a soccer blog, Kilmer?

This is a good point. But wouldn't that be different in the build up to the WC? Those two or three friendlies right before? I thought those were games that the teams used to ramp up, or perhaps I'm mistaken?

The reality is that Euro teams dont want to play us. Because if we beat them, they catch total hell from their home federations, not to mention the fans and press. So they use lesser sides so they have an excuse. It's too hard to play in South America or Africa unless we go on an extended tour when our top guys are out of season. And Asia is total crap right now, so we're better off playing ourselves.

Considering only 5 teams have a regular shot at winning the WC, it's not CONCACAF.

It's the coaching in this country. While it's improved dramatically in the last 20 or so years it still has a long way to go. Our institutional knowledge on how to teach soccer at the earliest level is still very rudimentary. We've finally started developing players that can hang in europe but we're so far behind. These other countries have a 100 year head start on us.

You can draw good parallels between basketball and hockey and soccer. How come the US produces the best basketball players? Sweden, Russia, and Canada for hockey. There are "natural" advantages that makes those countries good producers for the respective sports.

If you go to a weekend kids soccer game, it is a complete 180 from what they looked like when I was 8.

Kids now play on small fields. 4 v 4 (3v3, 5v5) without goalies. there is little to NO emphasis put on tactical or strategic play. The focus is completely on ball skills and movement. Long gone are the days when the fat kid was goalie and the slow bored kid with glasses played right fullback on a football field. Where masses of kids would move ina huge circle simply kicking the ball into each other until it miraculously came out to the one smart kid standing by to poach it.

Ive said this often- Our greatest strength going forward will be that we ARE a nation of immigrants. There isnt a soccer field open in Manatee County on the weekends. Every one of them filled with adult league games that Im far too slow and unskilled to play, and I played the sport for 25 years. And as these adults kids grow up, they are the future of US soccer.

20 years ago, there was no US based league. There was little to no TV coverage for even the World Cup, let alone qualifiers. Today MLS has games on TV all the time. Every World Cup qualifier is shown, even the obligatory opening rounds AWAY in places like Barbados and Grenada. We even got a televised game in Cuba. Now EVERY game of the World Cup is shown live.

Progress is being made. And much faster than most people think, and certainly faster than the soccer haters want to accept.

If you go to a weekend kids soccer game, it is a complete 180 from what they looked like when I was 8.

Kids now play on small fields. 4 v 4 (3v3, 5v5) without goalies. there is little to NO emphasis put on tactical or strategic play. The focus is completely on ball skills and movement. Long gone are the days when the fat kid was goalie and the slow bored kid with glasses played right fullback on a football field. Where masses of kids would move ina huge circle simply kicking the ball into each other until it miraculously came out to the one smart kid standing by to poach it.

I agree 100%. Before anything you need to adapt ball control skills and just freestyling. That's something that's hard to coach later on.

Due to the frequent rain in the area I can watch something a lot more interesting than soccer. How fast the grass is growing in my back yard.

:rotflmao: hahahaha. Oh that's hilarious. He's saying that grass, which grows very slowly but because of the rain it's growing faster (a little faster, but how much faster can it really grow.) And not just that... he's saying that's more entertaining that watching soccer. Genius. Comic genius.

In some ways, we are alot closer than people think to winning a WC.

I think this is just wishful thinking man . . . Perhaps it is your love for the U.S. that is pushing this thought.

You can put me down on the record as saying that the U.S. will NOT win a WC in the next 15-20 years. And anyone who thinks otherwise is a blind homer hoping for something that isn't a reality or doesn't know much about the beautiful game.

We were the only team to get even a POINT off of WC Champ Italy. And we did it playing with 9 men. And in fact, scored a go ahead goal that was disallowed (I still say it was legit). Our junior teams are better versus the world than our current Big team is versus the world. that bodes well for the future.

That point doesn't mean anything in the grand scheme of things. Soccer is a funny game where anything can happen . . . and anything did happen in the last WC when the U.S. got the point against the eventual champs. Does that automatically mean that we are close to a championship? Absolutely not. That point does not translate to future success.

Our junior teams are fine. No question about that. But like all the other "stars" of past junior teams, these new ones will also realize that it is a completely different ball game on the larger national levels. The players are stronger, faster, and more gifted than anything they have ever seen. They are not only physically imposing, but are for the most part (once you get out of CONCACAF) cerebral players who use tactics and strategies that you would have not seen on the junior levels.

The U.S. cannot succeed unless they stop thinking that they are "so close" to a WC. We need to realize that players from other countries play this game 24 hours a day and have been playing since they can walk. No matter how many camps and academies Americans participate in, they can never match the style and skill level that is found naturally in most countries.

What we lack is the one world class player in the midfield or forward that takes teams from WC teams or quarterfinalists to Champions.

We've never had a Messi, or a Cristian Ronaldo, or a Ballack.

We've never had one of those generational players for a reason. To think that one will come soon is naive. Landon Donovan (one of the most over-rated players this country has ever produced) was supposed to be the next best thing. How did that work out? Freddy Adu? Even worse.

We'll get a good guage of where we stand this summer during the Confederations Cup in South Africa. Starting June 15 we play Brazil, Egypt and Italy in a 6 day stretch. Every team is expected to have their A squad. The other group is Iraq, NZ, Spain and South Africa.

I think it is a good guage for the time. But it is not something to hang your hat on when it comes to South Africa next summer.

I do ultimately agree with your point that playing in CONCACAF does more damage than good to the U.S.' cause. It gives us a sense of false hope and unrealistic expectations. Hell, playing in the CONCACAF hardly teaches skill, but rather the same damn strategy of long balls and hoping for fouls. Until we play some real competition on a consistent basis, then the U.S. will no nowhere.

I've played the game my entire life. Literally since I could walk I had a soccer ball. I played competitively at some of the highest levels I could reach. When I was younger (around 12 or so) I was invited to training camps with several European clubs youth academies . . . but I chose to stay at home because I didn't want to go to Europe . . . and that decision still haunts me to this day.

And if it weren't for some bad knee and ankle injuries in high school, I can almost gaurantee that I would be playing for the U.S. national team.

So I do know my soccer. And I will stick to my feeling that the U.S. is far from a WC champion.

It wouldn't be a soccer thread without ND dropping in to bash the game.

I swear, he's obsessed. Me thinks he was cornholed by his youth soccer coach.

We didn't have soccer in the hood of south east back in the day. But there was a real mans game called rugby.

You're right. We'll never be good enough. We should just fold. :rolleyes:

I am not suggesting that "we should just fold." What I am suggesting is that we should have realistic expectations when it comes to the national team. The media and so called soccer experts need to stop giving the team undue credit in situations where they haven't earned a damn thing. I am tired of hearing people talk about how good the U.S. team is when they haven't proved anything.

The guys who call the games are so quick to praise everything the players do . . . and most of the fans now are starting to think they are some of the best in the world . . . those two things are just laughable. I can't even watch a U.S. game on ESPN or another American broadcast channel because the commentary is so biased and uneducated.

I am not suggesting that "we should just fold." What I am suggesting is that we should have realistic expectations when it comes to the national team. The media and so called soccer experts need to stop giving the team undue credit in situations where they haven't earned a damn thing. I am tired of hearing people talk about how good the U.S. team is when they haven't proved anything.

The guys who call the games are so quick to praise everything the players do . . . and most of the fans now are starting to think they are some of the best in the world . . . those two things are just laughable. I can't even watch a U.S. game on ESPN or another American broadcast channel because the commentary is so biased and uneducated.

but the US does pretty well in Copa America and whenever they play Brazil they give them a run for their money. If anything it has more to do with our players learning the game abroad at a young age than the level of competition we have in Concacaf.

I think this is just wishful thinking man . . . Perhaps it is your love for the U.S. that is pushing this thought.

You can put me down on the record as saying that the U.S. will NOT win a WC in the next 15-20 years. And anyone who thinks otherwise is a blind homer hoping for something that isn't a reality or doesn't know much about the beautiful game.

So I do know my soccer. And I will stick to my feeling that the U.S. is far from a WC champion.

You know as well as me, that the U.S. had the talent to win the WC in 2002, thoroughly outplaying Germany in a quarters loss. That team lacked only confidence and experience, not skill. That of course was sandwiched between 2 horrible showings in France and Germany. What I learned from watching the US in the last 20 years in the WC is that they have not been able to maintain a consistent team. But that 2002 team taught me they can rise up and steal one, under the right circumstances. I would not rule them out on rote.

Archived