Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

When are you too old for the "Age Card"?

Springfield

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

We all know what the age card is. It is when an older member of this message board discredits a younger member of this message board simply because of their age. I've seen it happen a several times and have even had it happen to me when I was rather new around here.

Personally, I'm not a huge fan of the age card. I think it's unnecessary and can usually be thrown out the window in favor of logic and knowledge. While it may be true that the older folks here usually know better, the age card isn't really a valid argument.

So... if the "age card" is to be pulled, at what age is it completely pointless? Basically, the age of the person in question shouldn't apply to this imaginary "age card" because they are too old.

What are your thoughts on the age card? Is it really as useless as I think it is?

Age is relative. I've seen 50 year olds act like they're 12, I've seen 16 year olds display the maturity expected of a 40 year old. It all depends on the person as far as that stuff goes, which is why the age card is bull****. Things someone says should be taken as they are without taking their age into consideration unless is it absolutely necessary for the discussion.

After 21 we're all adults and the issue of age should be irrelevant.

What I know now from what I new 5 years ago (21) is night and day. I'm married, am buying house, have a degree, and a ton more experience work wise and life. I'm not saying I know everything, but i can certainly see the difference that just 5 years make. It makes me wonder even more how much more I will know by the time I am 30.

Age is relative. I've seen 50 year olds act like they're 12, I've seen 16 year olds display the maturity expected of a 40 year old. It all depends on the person as far as that stuff goes, which is why the age card is bull****. Things someone says should be taken as they are without taking their age into consideration unless is it absolutely necessary for the discussion.

Somthing we can agree on;)

What I know now from what I new 5 years ago (21) is night and day. I'm married, am buying house, have a degree, and a ton more experience work wise and life. I'm not saying I know everything, but i can certainly see the difference that just 5 years make. It makes me wonder even more how much more I will know by the time I am 30.

I agree with this. While I'm not married (yet) and don't own a house (yet), I feel like I am well on my way to responsibly accomplishing both of those things. Those are two things, at 21, that I didn't really care much about. I suppose by the time I am 32, I will have a wife, a home and hopefully some little ones running around.

How much do these life experiences matter? Specifically here in the Tailgate where we have great discussions involving life experiences on a daily basis.

Those experiences and that knowledge will show in your words. If you have to pull the age card, it is because that, despite your age, you are not experienced or wise enough to show it. One only pulls the age card when they are wrong and trying to hold on to their pride, not because they are more experienced.

Nobody with experience and wisdom worth talking about needs to tell people about it.

Nobody with experience and wisdom worth talking about needs to tell people about it.

So when my parents are giving me advise and explain about how with age you will learn this or that and are trying to help me get steered in the right direction...these are just words not worth listening to and they aren't wise.

:jerk:

try again. i know where you are going, but you can't simply state that across the board.

The age card ought never be applied. There is too much to know and not know to assume that just because your older that you know better. The only thing that I wonder sometimes is if I'm too old for this board. :paranoid:

You are too old for this board. Because I am younger than you, I know better. (see what I did there!) :silly:

:applause:

The only problem is, on this board it's used when the older person has no argument left and has to start talking out of their *** to keep it going. It's sort of a desperation technique on ES. I think it's funny because when I'm arguing and I see it, chances are they know they're wrong (sort of like a defense mechanism to protect their ego) On this board it's not used like a parent explaining to their child life lessons.

And like the secon d poster said, it only need be used when it's relevant because as he said, age doesn't show maturity like it should, if it did, we wouldn't have 17 year olds raising their families while their parent sits getting drunk every night.

The only problem is, on this board it's used when the older person has no argument left and has to start talking out of their *** to keep it going. It's sort of a desperation technique on ES. I think it's funny because when I'm arguing and I see it, chances are they know they're wrong (sort of like a defense mechanism to protect their ego) On this board it's not used like a parent explaining to their child life lessons.

And like the secon d poster said, it only need be used when it's relevant because as he said, age doesn't show maturity like it should, if it did, we wouldn't have 17 year olds raising their families while their parent sits getting drunk every night.

Great points.

So when my parents are giving me advise and explain about how with age you will learn this or that and are trying to help me get steered in the right direction...these are just words not worth listening to and they aren't wise.

:jerk:

try again. i know where you are going, but you can't simply state that across the board.

See, it's actions like this, blatantly taking things the wrong way when you know what is intended, that show the wisdom of the speaker. Thank you for proving that.

See, it's actions like this, blatantly taking things the wrong way when you know what is intended, that show the wisdom of the speaker. Thank you for proving that.

Whatever makes you feel better. If you want to paint a broad stroke with your paint brush go ahead. No one is intentionally taking anything the wrong way. I understand to a certain degree the point you are making. But you simply can't be so black and white about it either.

Eh. I used to think that when I was your age. I know better now.

;)

Archived