Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Is the PS3 worth the money?

NotSoSuper

As the Bluray advantage doesn't seem like an important issue for you but you mentioned online ... do you have friends with consoles you want to play with? If so, what are they on.

Everybody my son knows plays almost entirely on the 360 and Xbox live, with a little PC gaming. There is no collective interest in PS3 online gaming among his peers, even among those that have the choice.

We've had the PS3 for a while but limit play to a few titles (Resistance 2, Little Big Planet) and use it mainly for the Bluray.

I dont have one yet... :( Id be your online friend. :)

All it takes is to know a person or two to get things rolling, and you can meet people online id imagine. I like Xbox live, but its expensive. Then Xbox puts out these games that are 60 bucks, and as soon as they come out, they drop DLC that cost 12 bucks to get... right after the game fricken came out. They could have easily added it into the game, the material was probably done by the drop date, but instead they wait a week and drop 4 new weapons and a new map on your for 10 more bucks. your sixty dollar game was now just 70 bucks... plus online subscription... and dont even think about an MMORPG or else you will have to pay yet another subscription fee on top of that. Ef all that. PS3 will gain steam quickly and soon. the games are getting better.

remember that all this is coming from an Xbox fan.

I said this before but I guess I should repeat it again.

X-Box 360 = Excellent Video Game System

Playstation 3 = Excellent Media System

You can't go wrong with neither. But since you have 10 friends with a PS3, I think you should get that. And your first two games should be Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare and NHL 09. Don;t by World At War unless you really want it, because Modern Warfare 2 is coming out in November and you might want to get that instead.

do you have NHL 09 if so how do you like it?

Me too..... :(

You should get a PS3. :evilg:

It's fun playing collaboratively too, although my daughter was considering splitting up with her boyfriend when he missed a couple of jumps that caused them to repeat a level.

Naw I brought NHL 08 like a couple of months ago and honestly it was the best Hockey game I have played. Unless ES changed it in 2009, it should be a great game. I used to like the NHL 2K's, but I think EA got them now.
thanks im a pretty big hockey fan

You should get a PS3. :evilg:

It's fun playing collaboratively too, although my daughter was considering splitting up with her boyfriend when he missed a couple of jumps that caused them to repeat a level.

Yeah, cant you crate your own level and then easily have online friends come play your level?

I have to warn you though that the PS3 is only connected to a 56" Sony HDTV, :mad: while the 360 has a 100" screen with a HD projector.

Id rather have the 56 inch hi-def. ;)

Ill get one, i just have to decide wether or not i will forsake my xbox to get it.

Too lazy to check other pages but those some good games out for the PS3 : has the Show been mentioned? Lot of talk about The Show being the best MLB game right now.

At first I advocated the 360 but as everyone regardless of the age of their console got the RROD's I began to switch over. 360's are rife with engineering faults such as the scratched disc thing, rrod's, etc. PS3's cost more but they are worth the money IMO, free internet play , free wifi added, bluray etc

I can't justify spending more than 2 bills on ANY game console. I'll just soldier on with my PS2 until the price comes down some more. I work 60 hours a week at hard manual labor, so it would be a waste to have one anyway.

I work two jobs over 60 hours a week (though not manual labor). I like to play a little Xbox before bed or watch Netfix on line with live streaming. I def feel ya on the high price of the consoles, and tthat'sthe only reason I havent invested in a PS3... yet. One more price drop, or if i decide to trade in my xbox I will have it and rejoice in all that is PS3.

I have all four systems, 360, PS3 and Wii, and PC.

Overall experience: Build you a gaming PC. It will cost you a ton of money (I am up to about $4000 on mine right now, $1600 in video cards alone) But the graphics, the games, etc are so much better than any console. Plus you can do anything on them. :D Plus mouse and Keyboard>>>>>>>>>controller in FPS. COD4, Crysis (beautiful game), MMO's, etc

Console Gaming: 360 hands down. Exlusive titles are much better, controls feel better, online play is better. Everything is just better about your gaming experience. You can even play certain games with PC users, which expands your online game play experience. It sounds like money is an issue so unless you feel like spending $30 on Blu rays. Go with this.

Media: PS3 excells at this. I have a few games on PS3. Like Metal Gear Solid, but I have yet to finish any of them. I use my PS3 daily as a blu ray player. I love it for the Blu Ray alone. If you want blu ray, go with this.

Novelty: The Wii for me is a novelty machine. I use the Wii fit, sometimes if I have company over we play some of the Wii sports games like bowling and stuff. Its fun for families, but if you are a hard core game.....meh. Graphics are not all that great.

Note: For any of these machines to truly shine you need at least a 720p TV. I had my 360 connected to a 4:3 projection screen for a while and while I enjoyed the graphics I didn't know what i was missing. When I got my 720p LCD.....WOW, huge difference. Now I have them all on 1080p.

If cost is an issue, go with the 360. While you have to pay for your online experience $50 a year, it is more than worth it. But seriously, upgrade the TV first.

Archived