Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Mike Williams Status Thread

derekc4

I believe in an interview with Steinberg, he said he hope to be down to 345 lbs by training camp.

He did say that he wanted to be down to 345 (his college playing weight) but I don't believe he stipulated before training camp. Though that would be nice cause once he shakes the dust off he could be a good addition for us.

He did say that he wanted to be down to 345 (his college playing weight) but I don't believe he stipulated before training camp. Though that would be nice cause once he shakes the dust off he could be a good addition for us.

I think he will feel comfortable and hover somewhere around 350 if he wants to drop twenty more pounds from his 370 origanal goal.

Remember, what he is losing in weight, will translate to quickness. Ive read that he is already nimble, and with 4th pick overall talent and some NFL experience under his belt... combine that with the drive and ambition he is displaying... he may very well make an impact on this team this season.

How fast and how much weight can you lose before it starts posing some kind of risk as an athlete? Seems like he's shed quite a bit in a short amount of time.

You better bet your last dime that this is all done under the strict observation of the Skins medical staff, if not also a 3rd party dietitian paid by the club. The last thing that the club wants is for something to go wrong health wise, which could result in a lawsuit, and more importantly a possible life threatening condition for Williams.

I don't think anyone dislike Heyer. I just think that while he may improve and be an adequate starter, he doesn't look like he has the potential to be a pro-bowl player. It doesn't sound like he has improved by orders of magnitude this off season. Zorn's most recent quote regarding Heyer, about how he has improved, but still has work to do, didn't sound like an overwhelming vote of confidence. Zorn has talked openly about how much better Devin Thomas looks, but we haven't heard a lot of glowing praise about Heyer.

I know this is subjective, but to my ear, Zorn sounds much more glowing of his appraisal of mike williams, with his concern not being technique, explosion, or footwork, but whether he can hold up at this weight. William's has much more control over his weight, than Heyer does over his deficiencies.

Heyer looks like he is currently leading the competition soley because he is not too heavy to play, and is the incumbant. Bridges started at ORT for Carolina. Does anybody here think Heyer would have been better than a depth player at Carolina?

My real measuring stick for our solution at OT, is not who starts the first preseason, or even regular season game. I want to see who is the started by the middle of the season. I think there is a better than 50% chance that that player is not Heyer. I suspect that if it is Heyer, it is because Williams and Bridges didn't look very good, or couldn't stay healthy. I would love to be wrong, so please refer me back to this post if Heyer is starting and we are able to run to the right with any regularity and are in the top third of the league in sacks allowed.

All fair points and you may very well be right, I just don't think we can write this kid off just yet, it'd be a bit pre-mature IMO. He doesn't need to be all world, or even all-pro. Of course that would be nice; and if Big Mike or Bridges can beat him out then that is what is best for the team, and I would still like Heyer as a backup ... because he is young and still developing and I like the fact that we have a kid like Heyer ready to step in. Hail.

How fast and how much weight can you lose before it starts posing some kind of risk as an athlete? Seems like he's shed quite a bit in a short amount of time.

As long as he is maintaining muscle mass and strengthening/conditioning his tendons and ligaments I think he will be ok. I think he is working with team diaticians and or trainers, I have faith.

From hogshaven.com:

http://www.hogshaven.com/2009/6/3/89...illiams-weight

Since I have so little to do at work today, I thought it would be beneficial to graphically track Mike Williams weight as the race to training camp starts using a handy web app from WeightTracker.com. Combing the news sites, I have been able to piece together Mike's starting weight, progressive weights, and his ultimate milestone goals for OTAs and training camp. He was 6 pounds over-weight for his June 1st milestone, but nevertheless, he still came close. I'll keep updating this as we approach training camp.

• 2 weeks later...
The good news is, at 380 lbs, Williams is not the heaviest player in the NFL right now. I believe that honor goes to one Herman Johnson, weighing in at 382lbs. I seem to remember a few members of this bored clamoring about him and his "size", while suggesting we draft him in the later rounds.

Was that a pun or a Freudian slip? :)

wow, you guys really have a thing for Mike Williams on this board, don't you.

I would be less worried about his weight and more concerned about his ability.I really don't understand why the Skins haven't been targeting him as a guard since his 350-360 pounds in September would be great along the interior and would not require him to be as nimble and light of foot as the tackle position.

I personally, and this is just me, don;t expect him to win the starting right tackle position because while Williams has been working with his salads, nutri-system, and fleet enemas, HEYER has been busy working with the offensive line and coaches on pass blocking.

Ya just don't leave the NFL for 3 years and walk back into it overweight and slow and expect to take a starting position. He is unrealistic when he said "I din't come here not to" That is just preposterous.

Heyer has the head start and is looking better with every rep and once camp begins, Heyer's youth and familiarity with the system in year TWO will be highlighted and applauded by all of us, while Williams will still be struggling against speed rushers from the outside.

Williams, and this is a prediction, will eventually replace Randy Thomas, and will work ALONGSIDE Heyer and not replace Heyer.

Williams, and this is a prediction, will eventually replace Randy Thomas, and will work ALONGSIDE Heyer and not replace Heyer.

I could see this happening as well. I'm not sure if any of it happens this year though. I think he's going to need a year back in football before he has a real chance of challenging anyone for a starting job.

I gotta say he looked slimmer this week compared to last week's OTAs....good for Mike working hard....if he gets in shape and is a backup this year i think he's a great fill-in for injury and could be a starter next year for another 5 years at OT or OG....I'm glad we got him.

I would be less worried about his weight and more concerned about his ability.

According to Doc Walker on the radio the dude was an absolute piledriver. Impressed him more than any other olineman.

Ability doesn't just vanish. Desire and nastiness might.

I could see this happening as well. I'm not sure if any of it happens this year though. I think he's going to need a year back in football before he has a real chance of challenging anyone for a starting job.

thats what I was talking about. I see Williams starting all right...as a backup! He could be a valuabel backup along the offensive line especially on goal line situations or 3rd and 1 situations. He can come in for Randy Thomas or if Heyer is injured or needs rest. Even is Samuels is injured Williams can come in alongside Dock on running plays and 700 pounds of men can PILEDRIVE up the left side of the field.

thats what I was talking about. I see Williams starting all right...as a backup! He could be a valuabel backup along the offensive line especially on goal line situations or 3rd and 1 situations. He can come in for Randy Thomas or if Heyer is injured or needs rest. Even is Samuels is injured Williams can come in alongside Dock on running plays and 700 pounds of men can PILEDRIVE up the left side of the field.

Or he could rotate in with the others to keep our line fresh. Our line was really struggling down the stretch last year.

Or he could rotate in with the others to keep our line fresh. Our line was really struggling down the stretch last year.

Exactly right. Whether he earns the starting job or not, it's starting to sound like he's going to get a place on the 53 man roster, even if it's for depth. We need plenty of depth on the OL because last year and in 2007 we were hurting down the stretch.

Archived