Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Mike Williams Status Thread

derekc4

05/07/09 Interview on redskins.com. He is down to 392 pounds from 450 only 6 months ago. He says he should be at 370 by June's activities. I'm assuming he meant minicamp.

My take: He's obviously a large man, but he really carries his weight well. He simply just has a gigantic frame. I noticed he has hands the size of a piece of paper. Big dude.

I think if Big Mike can get his weight down he will be a viable option at RT. This guy's biggest problem is motivation. However, it looks like he has something to prove and he is right on the trick. He was a #4 Draft Pick, so he had/has the technique and foot work to be good. When he gets the weight down he will be our starting RT. Maybe for only a year or two, but I think he will win out.

It's early May. The preseason is now 4 months away. If he has gone from 450 to 392 in the last 6 months on his own. I definitely think he can drop another 25lb's in 4 months. 1.5 lb's per week is nothing for a man that size who will be working out as hard as he will. I would be surprised if he is not down to under 370 by The regular season. I know his stated goal was 370#, but I'm not sure how many 370 lb men have had any longevity in the league. If he can work his weight down to around 350, he might have better stamina and a better chance of staying healthy.

It is hard to picture someone as big as Mike Williams playing tackle. I would think that he would be better suited for guard considering his low center of gravity. He obviously has very quick feet, and hands to even be considered for RT. One thing is for sure he has the best offensive line coach in the NFL coaching him in Mr.Joe Bugel. If Joe sees something in this big cat, and he stays healthy sigh the sky is the limit.

Keep pushing yourself Mike we are pulling for you!

HTTR

News Flash:

Reports are Mike Williams was spotted in Orlando exercising intensely by swiimiming and training in the ocean.

That would explain the raising sea levels.

Jokes aside, I don't get this Williams mania. Even if he drops off the weight the guy never performed any where near the level one would expect from a 3rd rounder, let alone his number 4 over all.

Hope I have to eat my words (errr...no joke intended) but I aint holding my breath.

Jokes aside, I don't get this Williams mania. Even if he drops off the weight the guy never performed any where near the level one would expect from a 3rd rounder, let alone his number 4 over all.

Hope I have to eat my words (errr...no joke intended) but I aint holding my breath.

I have no doubt he could perform at least as good as Jansen, and if he does, he's worth keeping around.

It is hard to picture someone as big as Mike Williams playing tackle. I would think that he would be better suited for guard considering his low center of gravity. He obviously has very quick feet, and hands to even be considered for RT. One thing is for sure he has the best offensive line coach in the NFL coaching him in Mr.Joe Bugel. If Joe sees something in this big cat, and he stays healthy sigh the sky is the limit.

Keep pushing yourself Mike we are pulling for you!

HTTR

Then you obviously don't know much about offensive line play.

I have no doubt he could perform at least as good as Jansen, and if he does, he's worth keeping around.

All he has to really do is not fall down.. :D

But in all seriousness, my only real concern with him would be..consistency to not be fatigued on the field while we're in a Clinton Portis marathon mode, and his ability to stop the speed rusher off the edge. That's all really.

He was an 85 in Madden for Jacksonville with a 97 strength Not that it matters but he still has talent.

Actually I had read that he played VERY well in the only NFL season he played injury-free. Didn't allow a sack the whole year. Dude's got talent. If he can drop down to 370, he can be our starting RT.

Actually I had read that he played VERY well in the only NFL season he played injury-free. Didn't allow a sack the whole year. Dude's got talent. If he can drop down to 370, he can be our starting RT.

I think that Mike Williams will benefit from a few things that are going in his direction;

1. Being close to Dockery will help him, he is obviously motivated enough to lose the weight.

2. Joe Bugel has been known to develop huge OL into players (i.e. Jacoby), so I think Williams is in a good system/team.

3. There is a glaring need at RT. If he is able to keep the weight off and beat out Jansen and Heyer, he will have the chance to make starting OT money in the NFL.

4. Obviously he has some talent, being a first rounder a few years ago. He probably has less wear and tear than most OL his age because of the time off.

Bottom line; he cost us nothing; so low risk and potential high payback. If nothing else he will push Heyer, Jansen, etc. to play better. And if he is good enough to start, we will have addressed a big need for free, and drafted another big need (Orakpo-DE) this year.

Go Skins

I saw some video of him on Redskins Nation the other day, and I have to say... I am SHOCKED out how dainty his footwork was for such a huge man...

It was almost comical seeing this behemoth tiptoe-ing over the pads so quickly... :laugh:

Archived