Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Mike Williams Status Thread

derekc4

Exactly right. Whether he earns the starting job or not, it's starting to sound like he's going to get a place on the 53 man roster, even if it's for depth. We need plenty of depth on the OL because last year and in 2007 we were hurting down the stretch.

I think so too but now you have ask yourself...do we keep all 3 guys...Heyer/Bridges and Williams. It always comes down to a numbers game....

Well, Heyer has experience at LT also and I don't know if we have another backup there. If we keep all 3 at RT we'll be protecting the blind-side also... and Samuls has been getting banged up recently and he is getting up there in age...

edit:

Bridges also has experience at the guard position from his time in CAR if I am not mistaken. He could turn out to be one of those versatile linemen you could plug in anywhere.

Id factor this into your thought process when drafting Portis in Fantasy this season. Big upgrade on the O-line, more depth with the addition of Bridges and Williams, Reinhart seems ready and hungry as well... and another year for Heyer to improve, work on technique, strength, etc.

Also might want to facor in portis' tiff with Zorn though as well.

Id factor this into your thought process when drafting Portis in Fantasy this season. Big upgrade on the O-line, more depth with the addition of Bridges and Williams, Reinhart seems ready and hungry as well... and another year for Heyer to improve, work on technique, strength, etc.

Also might want to facor in portis' tiff with Zorn though as well.

This is great news! I think Mike Williams has the natural frame to be a beast and now that his weight is down he will show what he can do. I think he would make an excellent guard. Either way we are upgraded with his presence.

If Rhinehart can step up and get some playing time, there will be several versatile players on the line. Rhinhart can play both tackle and guard positions. Bridges can play guard and Heyer can play both tackle positions. If Williams can become a mauler and stay healthy he could be much needed critical depth. I would really like to know Budges opinion on this. If the line can have some quality young depth and solid starting play, my hat is off to Vinny and the scouting evaluation department.

I don't know if anybody caught this the other day, but they were showing clips of the o-linemen doing the sideways footwork drill over the little barriers, (I have no idea what this drill is called) but you have to move your feet very quickly and move sideways, while in a pass blocking positions, to work on having quick feet.

And they showed Mike Williams, and MAN, he had quick feet. He was the fastest of the guys they showed. I was really impressed.

This is a very good sign. Of the three guys, the guy who has the most talent is certainly Mike W. He's bigger (obviously), probably stronger and faster than the other 2. So we'll see. I personally hope that he can make the lineup, Heyer is the backup at LT. And they should keep all 3 if they can.

Speaking on just his weight, Williams could probably start a game right now at 365. I think that was his playing weight in college or when he was in the league, so now that we know he's getting more and more in shape, it's definitely encouraging and gives me optimism we can have at least a good o-line.

From what I have read, he is a better pass blocker than run blocker. I'd want to see him in training camp before I pass down a judgement as rash as that. Each to their own.

As a fanatical Longhorn alumnus who watched just about every game MW played in college, he was an excellent run blocker who ate up a lot of guys who are playing now in the league.

Washington Re: Official Mike Williams Status Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Drunkenstein

As a fanatical Longhorn alumnus who watched just about every game MW played in college, he was an excellent run blocker who ate up a lot of guys who are playing now in the league.

too easy.

June-20th-2009 11:48 PM

Dr Drunkenstein Re: Official Mike Williams Status Thread

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighOnHendrix

From what I have read, he is a better pass blocker than run blocker. I'd want to see him in training camp before I pass down a judgement as rash as that. Each to their own.

That is way too funny...

I'm happy for the guy but I can't see him staying healthy for an entire season as the starter. It's one thing, albeit a very impressive thing, to lose a ton of weight in a matter of months when you're as out of shape as he was. It's an entirely different matter to have your body ready for the strain of an NFL season. Eventually something will have to give.

360 he probably will start IMO it seems to be the best option. Use Heyer as depth unless Heter comes into camp beasty

Lets see how he goes in preseason before we start getting ahead of ourselves. Can he develop the stamina to last a full game and come back the week after and do it again? What does he look like with pads on and full contact?

I get we are hoping for a miracle and saviour to lock down that RT spot but its pushing things to think that a guy who who has already failed to live up to his draft staus, has been out of football for 2 years and who was 450 a few weeks ago will win the starting gig. If he does it says a lot about the other players on the roster.

Personally I think its odds on Heyer wins that job with Bridges being his closest competition. Williams will have his work cut to out to make the final 53 man roster.

Archived