Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Official Mike Williams Status Thread

derekc4

He was an 85 in Madden for Jacksonville with a 97 strength Not that it matters but he still has talent.

I can't argue with the talent... it's the performance. If talent were the only factor Michael Westbrook would have been an all pro.

Again, I hope he works out, I just don't think it's going to happen.

I saw some video of him on Redskins Nation the other day, and I have to say... I am SHOCKED out how dainty his footwork was for such a huge man...

It was almost comical seeing this behemoth tiptoe-ing over the pads so quickly... :laugh:

I saw those clips on the tube as well. I couldn't believe how fast he was moving through them. Impressive... Can't wait till June!

Go Mike!

Assuming Williams can get down to 365-370 the question in my mind is why wouldn't the Redskins consider him at OG?

He still seems like a longer shot outside at OT.

I'm no OL coach but I would assume his ability to play in space/pull would have a lot to do with it. For a guy that big it's going to be hard enough to play 60 snaps or so game without having to pull and try to lead block on sweeps/counters.

I'd also think his height would be an issue. He's listed at 6-6 on NFL.com but every picture/shot I've seen of him from minicamp he looks like a giant. The taller you are the more difficult it is to get low against DT's. Plus OT is the spot we need immediate help so he has a beetter shot at actually taking a starting job, which is what we need.

what i dont understand is why everyone assumes the guard is the primary puller. in the packer sweep or buck sweep they are. the counter trey involves the backside guard & tackle both pull, in Gibbs' outside zone whomever has the angle to block down does and the next one over pulls. in a true inside zone scheme "gut" you want a big powerful guard so you can get movement on the massive DTs, in a Shannahan outside zone everyone just reach blocks, in a sense everyone is pulling. in a toss situation usually its just the playside tackle that pulls everyone else reaches. the notion that a big guard wont work due to pulling is relative to scheme, see leonard davis.

He was an 85 in Madden for Jacksonville with a 97 strength Not that it matters but he still has talent.

I actually got a starting Left Tackle under similar circumstances in Madden '07 many years down the road. Samuels was just about done and I brought in a failed 1st rounder from another team in free agency who had actually dropped to around 80 as a project. After a year or two as a backup, he won the job along with a super bowl and lived up to his raw pottential. My own 1st round tackle I drafted to replace Samuels ended up as that guy's backup.

I really think Williams has a legit shot to contribute if he keeps it up.

I'm no OL coach but I would assume his ability to play in space/pull would have a lot to do with it. For a guy that big it's going to be hard enough to play 60 snaps or so game without having to pull and try to lead block on sweeps/counters.

I'd also think his height would be an issue. He's listed at 6-6 on NFL.com but every picture/shot I've seen of him from minicamp he looks like a giant. The taller you are the more difficult it is to get low against DT's. Plus OT is the spot we need immediate help so he has a beetter shot at actually taking a starting job, which is what we need.

DING DING DING...We have a winner !!

the biggest obstacles to Mike Williams making the Redskins and contributing in 2009 are #1 endurance and #2 durability.

I am confident Williams can continue to lose weight and get close to the 360 mark the team has set for him.

What I am less confident of is that Williams can hold up physically at 360 at age 29/30 over a 16 game schedule.

Williams is the type of player you worry about getting leg/knee injuries due to the weight he is carrying.

Its not uncommon for a huge offensive lineman to lose 10 pounds on the first day of camp in August. They sweat so much. If Williams is down to 370 by camp, he will lose another 20 pounds in August...so he should be fine.

I am worried about Fat Albert. His weight is going in the opposite direction.

Archived