Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Live: Dilfer says Washington had the worst offseason

SkinsAllDay34

I don't know how it is the WORST offseason when you bring in the best DT in the game by far. You can still pay one of the best CB in the league to stay which we needed. It doesn't matter if we "overpaid" we paid the market price. We needed to two positions, and we NEEDED top talent at both, not just fillers.

We brought in Derrick Dockery as well. Now we have a ton of young talent in camp. We drafted Orakpo and Barnes. But will contribute immediately in some capacity or another.

These guys are idiots.

Why is it every mediocre QB turned analysis thinks that the Redskins had a bad offseason, lack depth, and will be looking to make a big splash every year? It is the same ones that have pick Dallas every year to win the Division and the Super Bowl representative for the NFC. So until they actually get something right, I won't listen to what they have to say. What have they acomplished? Win a Super Bowl and they think they all are GOD.

this may or may not have been said, but the reason Dilfer ripped the Skins is because he's boys with Zorn...he's trying to take the heat off Zorn in case things go bad..

his reasoning for the Skins having the worst off-season is completely flawed....overpaying for haynesworth and hall?...please....and I think the campbell situation is going to work in our benefit this year...a motivated potential unrestricted free agent at QB.

its funny how the opinions on a commentator change when they say something negative about our team

before this comment, compared to the other analysts, judging by the posts on the site, Dilfer was doing ok for himself. lol

Is that Gina Curasi in your sig?

Outside of QB, our RB, OL, DE, and LB are hurting bad in the depth department. We are one of those teams that if we stay healthy, we can be a playoff team, but a couple of injuries will make us a very BAD team. You cannot say that about the very good teams (GMen, Patriots, Steelers, etc.)

Well, I was being picky about when you said that we lack depth at almost every position. You agreed that QB, TE, DT, CB are strong in depth. WR has the potential be a strength as well.

I do think we have different interpretations of the word depth. In my opinion, it's who you have behind your starters. Who your starters are holds no baring in your depth.

Yes, if Landry gets injured, there will be a major decline in safety. Like when the Colts lost Bob Sanders, there was a major decline. But I'm not comparing our depth to our starters, that's not fair. If they were starting material, they would be on another team (demand a trade, test FA, etc). I'm just saying that it's not the end of our defense if Doughty has to start and Moore gets some playing time.

Regarding DE, we don't know if Blache will change his scheme. However, his original scheme is stop the run first. If Daniels is the starter, that's perfect. He's a great run stuffer with Wynn as his backup. If Orakpo is the starter, I think they may put Daniels or Wynn in on running downs till Orakpo works on his run stuffing. Also, Blache is considering a new form of defense. Not because of Orakpo, but because of Haynesworth (the man next to RDE... who, btw, will make anyone look better at that spot).

I'm not going to touch on our OLine and LB because there are too many factors to consider. I could argue one way while you could argue the other (which is fine).

You did change my perspective for RB. Our depth there does suck (bringing in Alexander is the prime example). Ugh, why did we extend Betts...

us having the worst offseason? puuuhhhhlllleeeaaaasssseeeee, Bald Bull! How about the Dallas Cryboys? no 1st or 2nd round pick in the draft, got rid of Canty, TO, Roy Williams, and Tank Johnson...not to mention there practice facility is in shambles due to that tornado. I'm sorry, DilF***, but you're WRONG!!!!!

i think if you try and trade your starting qb not once but twice and fail, that is an epic failure for an offseason.

After the first attempt, and if they really meant to go for Mark Sanchez, they should have made damn sure that they got him.

I would have to agree! Cant argue with Dilfer on that point

I don't know how it is the WORST offseason when you bring in the best DT in the game by far. You can still pay one of the best CB in the league to stay which we needed. It doesn't matter if we "overpaid" we paid the market price. We needed to two positions, and we NEEDED top talent at both, not just fillers.

We brought in Derrick Dockery as well. Now we have a ton of young talent in camp. We drafted Orakpo and Barnes. But will contribute immediately in some capacity or another.

These guys are idiots.

what was the opportunity cost?

3 games away from a damn good season last year.

2 of our 2nd rd picks lastyear will produce SOMETHING...Which is 3 steps above lastyear.

Moore and the Predator will continue to contribute...I think it is safe to say...More than lastyear.

Hall, Dock,Haynesworth Signed and happy.

Do I think their 2nd year guys, FA and Draft pick-ups are worth 3 games...

YES

what was the opportunity cost?

TO? Housh? Holt? Pace? Old, old, old, and old. There is really no other FA that I think could have made as much of an impact as Dockery (which we got great value, especially since he has been with the team before) Haynesworth, and Hall. Both Hall and Haynesworth are in their prime. And considering next year will likely be an uncapped year, then that even lowers the "cost" of what was spent.

TO? Housh? Holt? Pace? Old, old, old, and old. There is really no other FA that I think could have made as much of an impact as Dockery (which we got great value, especially since he has been with the team before) Haynesworth, and Hall. Both Hall and Haynesworth are in their prime. And considering next year will likely be an uncapped year, then that even lowers the "cost" of what was spent.

If i had my druthers i would have Jason Brown or Matt Birk instead of Doc.

Imo the upgrade from Kendall to Doc wouldn't be as impactful as an

upgrade of Rabach to Brown or Birk.

But, in general i like our moves esp. Haynesworth and Hall.

We had a bad off-season in the sense that the FO created needless

doubt about a good starting QB in JC yet didn't significantly improve the

main area of weakness O-line.

BTW all of NFC foes drafted O-line and the already had better

lines then us.

Same guy that got a text from Farve saying NO to thinking about coming back...Trent who? is right ..He is worse than Emmit Smith was on ESPN.

At least Emmit admits that he hates us.

But seriously, the QB fiasco may have messed up our otherwise good offseason, but we are far from the worst.

The Broncos lost their star QB, had a mediocre draft, and alienated their fans. The Raiders lost some of their key FAs and had a terrible draft. The Cardinals, despite being NFC champs, are having contract disputes with half of their players. The Cowboys cleaned house, but also lost half of their talent. We are not the worst this offseason.

I like Dilfer but this is a classic case of an "expert" listening to others rather than taking the time to learn a situation.

Haynsworth was going to be overpaid somewhere. We got him and he woll beon the field for us next season. That's a HUGE improvement to our D line and (#4) defense as a whole.

Did we overpay for Hall? I don't know. But if he plays up to his potential the answer is no. Because his potential is REALLY good.

Campbell's problems were brought on himself when he stalled out again last year. After four years there is NO WAY anyone can say with a straight face that he has earned complete faith and the big long term contract he is going to want next year. We would be idiots NOT to look at options.

Add Orakpo and a potential starter at nickel or dime corner and we gave our #4 defense a chance to be #1.

If you take away the hand wringing over money and the psychodrama BS over Campbell, It can be argued that no team in the NFL improved in a more concrete way than we did.

I don't know about the worst but I do agree that we overpaid for Hall and alienating Campbell was just plain stupid.

Haynesworth was a huge price but he did fill a need and they did a nice job of building off of this signing by then drafting a pass rusher in Orakpo.

Archived