Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Best Sleeping Aids?

Hubbs

So, I have wicked insomnia, and I've tried several sleeping aids without much luck. I had a prescription for Lunesta, but it gave me this awful metallic taste in my mouth all day. Tried melatonin, but it makes me wake up about three hours after I take it. Tried Benadryl, doesn't work consistently. It's gotten so bad that I'm having a few drinks virtually every night just to be able to fall asleep, but that's obviously not a pattern I want to maintain. Any recommendations from others who struggle with sleep?

Dude you are all about sleep

Haha, I guess I do start a lot of sleep-related threads - although I actually do believe that sleep is really underrated by most people. There's oodles of science about just how much sleep affects everything from your athletic performance to your mental capacity to your sex drive. People sleep on sleep.

First thing is making some lifestyle changes that may be causing you to lose sleep. For example, cut way back on any caffeine (especially a couple of hours before bedtime).

Next, make sure you use your bed/bedroom just for sleep (don't watch tv, use the computer, etc in your room or bed b/c it can make you feel like your bed/bedroom isn't really for the purpose of sleeping and can cause a disturbance in your sleep patterns.

Also, try incorporating more exercise in your daily routine. Personally, I found this has plenty of positive benefits including helping me fall asleep faster and getting better overall sleep.

Finally, if none of this works or has worked if you've already tried it, talk to your doctor about it. Maybe he can sort out if this is just something that will pass (maybe a temp. situation caused by increased stress, etc) or if there is a better sleeping aid that can help you if this has been an issue for an extended period of time.

Dude I'm telling you melatonin works, but less is more. Just rip a 3mg pill in half and take that.

I just popped one about 30 min ago and I'm fighting to keep my eyes open.

That's what I was taking....

So, I have wicked insomnia, and I've tried several sleeping aids without much luck. I had a prescription for Lunesta, but it gave me this awful metallic taste in my mouth all day. Tried melatonin, but it makes me wake up about three hours after I take it. Tried Benadryl, doesn't work consistently. It's gotten so bad that I'm having a few drinks virtually every night just to be able to fall asleep, but that's obviously not a pattern I want to maintain. Any recommendations from others who struggle with sleep?

I thought you slept in a separate bedroom from your girl, so that you could sleep?

As for a sleep aid. I'd say pop in a movie. That did the trick for me last night. I got about halfway through one last night and I was out. Ironically, the movie was called "Bedtime Stories".:laugh:I kid you not.

I've taken a bunch of sleepin meds - they never work as well as gettin drunk and passin out or smokin a bowl (so healthy, I know)...but if you're not into that, try to really calm yourself an hour before you want to go to sleep...do something relaxing like reading a book or whatnot in bed...then think happy thoughts.

Insomnia sucks ass. I feel for ya man.

Or read homework. I know they say you are not supposed to do work or anything in bed, but I swear, I print off a journal article assignment before bed, get in bed and start reading, and I'm out before I finish the abstract. That works like a charm everytime.

Earplugs. Even if you don't really hear much at night, it will guarantee no little sound will disturb your slumber. If someone breaks in your place, well, SOL.

Take a very hot shower before you go to bed. Let it relax your muscles, especially in your neck. Then let warm water run on your face for a good while.

Wow - lotsa chickadees posting in this thread... interesting. I have sleeping issues, too. My main issue is that my mind doesn't want to chill out - it just keeps going - so even if I do get to sleep, I have crazy dreams or horrible nightmares.

I've found that the best methods are listening to music (I use the music channels on the TV) or listening to a book on CD (Crime and Punishment has put me to sleep many a time) :)

I also have certain scenarios that I look forward to (it's corny, but mine are being proposed to, telling my man I'm pregnant, and finding out if we're having a boy or a girl) - I try to imagine how those thing could play out and I, honestly, always fall into a happy sleep before I reach the end of the "fantasy".

Also... there was a thread like 2 months ago about how many sleeping pills you can take without dying................................

and someone said he was a pharmacist and recommended a certain OTC sleeping aid. Obviously, I can't legitimize him or his recommendation, but I'm gonna find the thread... brb? ;)

Archived