Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Camp of Campbell

Heisenberg

The postgame analysts, for the most part, said what I've posted multiple times in threads here. There was widespread confusion about why the playcalling refused to use the Giants weakness (pass defense). We kept on wasting plays running.

Meanwhile what did the Giants do at one time?

Did anyone notice that Ahmad Bradshaw caught a short pass out of the backfield 3 times in a row? The reason? The Skins D left him uncovered twice (and I think a penalty negated one of those plays). Good offenses use your weakness against you, not stupidly keep on doing something that isn't working.

I don't see the gameplan in Zorn's actions. I don't see the adaptation. He appears, to me, to be in over his head with playcalling. That's my read from week 1, but if he's playcalling next week, we can hope he can at least see his mistake and rectify it. Last year we also started poorly against the Giants (looked sloppy, unprepared, and personnel was used badly - e.g. Cooley as a blocker). That, by the way, also strikes me as bad coaching.

Good QB's are capable of audibling at the LOS especially when they see a particular defense that may spell bad news for the play that has been called , they also instill confidence in the play calling as well, when we were backed up to our own end zone after we stopped the giants on 4th down and then ran 3 plays into the line, did anyone even want to see JC dropping into the end zone trying to throw, I know I didn't, I just kept envisioning the ball getting swiped out of JC's hand with that Luis Tiant like wind up of his, what would any play caller do if they had to deal with the likes of JC?

But you know what to bad for Zorn, he asked for JC, and he got JC, his uncontested starter.

I really do believe at this point Zorn was hired because he was able to convince Danny that he could turn JC into a pro bowl QB, and that would be a rational thought to why JC is as bad as he is, yet the uncontested starter. Zorn gets what he deserves at this point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can see your point but I play the other card to that. Team stack the box because JC doesn't scare them. Therefore the QB cannot set up the run.

I agree with you though. The playcalling was AWFUL. Dreadful. However, the players still need to execute. JC contributed directly to 14 pts. His INT led to 7 and his fumble lead to the other.

He didn't step up in the pocket when there was pressure, and he didn't get rid of the football in any rhythm the whole game. The only bright spots I saw was Randle El in the passing game. Everything else was simply terrible.

Thanks for seeing my point, that seems rarer on this board than ever.

I see what you're saying too. I wish JC could throw deep, but his deep ball accuracy has never seemed good (today there wasn't any meaningful evidence of this, but there's been plenty in the past). I think that would definitely help us, but Santana was really having a bad day today which didn't help.

By the way, the Post seems to agree that a) we never got into a rhythm (your point) and B) that the playcalling was at fault for that (both of us agree, but they don't appear to put it on Campbell). TK has linked it.

Two big mistakes I took from Campbell tonight.

First... The INT. I still think Moss should have come forward a bit on a play designed to put the QB on the move. A wide out should never stop on a route out of a bootleg. If he saw Jason cross the line of scrimmage, then he should have turned and blocked the guy covering him. It just looked like a lazy route. It would have been nothing more than a penalty if Moss kept up with the play.

Still, Campbell should have never made that throw. He should have just ran the ball out of bounds. He still had another play to work with afterwards, if my memory serves me correctly.

Second is the stripped fumble for a TD. This is the basics we're talking about. A QB should always keep the ball high and towards his back shoulder, which takes away a pass rusher's ability to create a fumble. He held the ball too low, but I did notice after the play that he was holding the ball a bit higher while in the pocket.

Other than that, I don't think he was as horrible as many around here try to make him out to be. He made some plays. I was actually impressed with the one play from shotgun when the ball was snapped to him too low. He dropped it, picked it back up, fought off a rush, and made a big play by shoveling it to Betts.

Is it just me, or for as long as the guy has been starting for us, he has been able to make big plays when not attempting to implement a scheme but playing off of instinct?

I've seen Campbell make many big drives from a two minute drill, and not only garbage drives in the fourth quarter. He has always seemed to be at his best in a quick paced situation. In all honesty, he seems better than his coaching. I really don't know what to make of it.

I dont put the loss on JC....The play calling was just awfull!!!....1st and 10 run 2yard gain 2nd and 8, run 1yard gain, 3rd and 7 pass. incomplete,drop pass, or sack!! Punt!!!...What happend to pass to set up the run??....LOL at one point we ran on 3rd and 8!!!....It's funny when we were down in the 4th on one of are last drive we passed the ball and next thing you know TD!!!....i dunno i just dont get it...AWFULL!!! just AWFuLL!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Even though we lost to the worst team in the league, I'm still in his camp. He did his part. 340 yds and 2 TD's, Not bad.

With that, the reason why we suck is not bc of Campbell but because of the coach. Going for it on 4th and 1 instead of kicking the field goal? Not taking the penalty that would've made them kick a FG instead of getting a TD? C'mon Zorn!!!

Edit: BTW if he did what he should've done, the score would've been 14-13 Redkins.

2 tds 1 int 340 yards = its entirely campbell's fault

next year campbell goes to the vikings and makes the pro bowl in a real offense playing for a real organization

I will bet anything short of my own LIFE, that Campbell goes anywhere and does well. Any takers we can write out a contract, bet anything, anything! there must be a whole lot of people that never played sports in their life here.

Oh just for the record I was a Campbell fan when he first got here.

I will bet anything short of my own LIFE, that Campbell goes anywhere and does well. Any takers we can write out a contract, bet anything, anything! there must be a whole lot of people that never played sports in their life here.

Oh just for the record I was a Campbell fan when he first got here.

Everyone knows you are all about Colt.

Don't try to make yourself out to be something you're not.

Aside from Hunter the Punter, Campbell was the only good thing about the game today... Portis-Nothing. Defense-Total Meltdown. Even when Hunter continuously pinned the Lions inside their 20 all game, we STILL couldn't get it done on D... So yeah, Campbell and Hunter are our MVP's. I'll be a JC fan when he leaves us and shines...

• 5 weeks later...

He's inconsistent. His 2nd & 4th quarters tonight were good, but his 1st & 3rd quarters sucked, however the INT wasn't his fault. He beat the blitz at times, but more often than not, he'd hit his back step and the ball wouldn't come out. He has trouble anticipating blitzes. That said, If Moss hangs on to that TD and the INT doesn't happen, we win. I'm still in his camp, but he needs to be more consistent.

It's going to be the Crowd of Crow because once Campbell has the breakout year that some of us anticipate but many doubt, it's going to be really interesting around here to hear what some of the vocal ones have to say.

Without stirring the pot too much, QBs that improve in completion percentage, TD, turnovers, yardage and QB rating for 3 straight years rarely, if ever, regress in the fourth.

While being resigned to the fact that some fans will not be satisfied by any less than 4500 yards, 35 TD, 10 INT and a 13-3 record, I truly believe there will be a huge mea culpa due to JC come the end of the season.

Wow! I bet you feel pretty foolish about now, tell me what does Crow taste like??

Aside from Hunter the Punter, Campbell was the only good thing about the game today... Portis-Nothing. Defense-Total Meltdown. Even when Hunter continuously pinned the Lions inside their 20 all game, we STILL couldn't get it done on D... So yeah, Campbell and Hunter are our MVP's. I'll be a JC fan when he leaves us and shines...

Don't hold your breathe for that day to come my friend.

He made his usual mistakes but other then the fumbles he had an alright game. That pic 6 wasn't a pic if it wasn't tipped and his 91.6 rating might have been over 100 if it wasn't for that. I have no clue how it's calculated though.

I'm still in his camp but man i wish he would view the field more

Archived