Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Campbell Planning His Next Move

Oldskool

People, it is not about competition. I'm sure Jason knows how to handle it since if you think about it, he wasn't even Gibbs' guy even though Gibbs' initially wnated him. We should have let Jason start earlier in the 2006 season, but Gibbs loved Brunell, veterans, and boring offenses by then. Even with the great Al Saunders who was supposed to open things up, it didn't happen, either fault due to Gibbs or Saunders.

Gibbs never seemed to trust Campbell the way Zorn has.

On top, Campbell has one year left on his contract. If we dod raft Sanchez, Campbell is gone next year if not this year. He doesn't care if he beats Sanchez out, he knows that the front office will not re-sign him regardless of how well we do. The business of the game will also come into play as pick 13 or higher money is not going to be cheap. If this is all true, his idea is that "let me go to a team where I can start now (Minnesota, Detroit, NY Jets) and that way I'll have a better shot of being extended there."

There is no sense pretty much having a lame duck season.

This is one of the reasons I get so Snyder-defensive sometimes. I'm neither a Snyder supporter or detractor, but the scapegoating of the front office and the lack of balance (the blind hate) that goes into that has always made me queasy. It's just reactionary and ignorant. And then it leads to this moron voicing what many people (not the majority) believe but won't say: Snyder is young, nouveau-riche, bereft of winning personality, and Jewish. That's a problem for a slim minority of the folks who light into him no matter what he does...

I've given you the business quite a lot Ernie. However, at least with regard to the above I have to agree with you. Anyone that dislikes Snyder's ownership of the team because of his faith, his age or anything along those lines can walk. We don't need or want you as Redskins fans.

The Redskins under Snyder's ownership have done some smart things and some stupid things. We only know that the things they've done haven't led to the promised land. There are dozens of reasons for this. Why does there need to be a blame ritual? Why does there have to be a villain? Decisions are made. Sometimes we don't agree with them. Some of those times we were right. Other times, decisions were supported by a majority of posters and didn't work (Jason Taylor). So what? Why attack Snyder when a constructive discussion of what we think they should do or an overview of the options is what makes the community dialogue fun and interesting?

I'll get off my horse now.

Here's where we part ways. Those of us like me who feel he's a bad owner because of the .45 winning pct. under his tenure are making some very valid points. What you're arguing for is a lack of accountability. "Sure we traded away four first round draft picks for one player and he ended up being a bust but let's not play the blame game. And for Pete's sake don't even hint that the person responsible should be well, held responsible". Yeah, that's realistic. :doh:

I think it's too bad that you, for some unknown reason *cough* Snyder's payroll *cough* just can't see that is the primary reason most fans are sick of him. If he were winning big and often, almost nobody, least of all me, would be giving the guy a hard time about much of anything.

:rant:

I am sick and tired of having to watch this team rebuild every two-three years. Can we just have some consistency where we have a system AND a QB for more than one season? I pray that no team trades with us, or another team takes MS before we get the chance to take him. I think that is the only thing that can save the Redskins. I have faith in JC. We all saw what he could do in the first 8 games (when he had DECENT - not GOOD - not GREAT - just DECENT protection). Some injuries to a couple linemen hurt this team but I think it hurt JC the most (CP second). JC had under 10 seconds to get rid of the ball in the second half of the season. We finally pick up a linemen, and now we want a new QB. Where does the fantasy football stuff end? :doh::doh::doh::doh:

Crossing my fingers that we pick up a OT/LB/DE at pick 13 or trade down and pick up one of those. :fortune:

Maybe it's not Dan and Vinny who think Jason isn't "the one". Maybe the driving force behind all of this is the man who works with him evey day, Jim Zorn! Maybe, just maybe, Dan and Vinny are the front men on this so if it all falls apart, Jim Zorn can maintain a good working relationship with Jason. Just maybe........................................................

I dont blame Campbell I would do the same thing. **** even if they didnt draft Sanchez I would probably still request a trade. Its pretty obvious the FO doesnt see Campbell in there long term plans.

That's assuming a team wants him. The NFL doesn't have trade agreements with arena ball.

What? Campbell wouldn't be up for some competition? That's some straight-up loser thinking, right there. I believe Sanchez was told by Snyder that he would have to compete for the starting spot.

Hey Jason, I hear Safeway's hiring.

Apparently you are gullible, and Jason isnt. Kind of foolish to bash the guy who can see the blatantly obvious writing on the wall with all the attempts to deal him, and then drafting a #8 pick or so. If the Skins once again avoid drafting offensive linemen, and instead trade all their picks for a QB, JC is gone no matter what.

If you can't see that it's because you are just looking for any excuse, no matter how ridiculous, to attack the guy(attacking him on his character? Come on, thats the one thing he has oodles of).

That's assuming a team wants him. The NFL doesn't have trade agreements with arena ball.
LOL. I have not been the biggest anti Campbell nor have I have been very pro Campbell but I think if we did trade him some team would give him a shot. If anything I think Campbell could be a good backup in this league.

Well we only have 1 more day until the draft and we can put all this talk to rest very soon. Anyone know what the hell we are going to talk about once the draft is over and we know what our Qb situation is going to be??? It has to be a Qb since all we ever talk about is Cutler, Campbell and now Sanchez.

Why do I have a feeling this was leaked, inaccurately, by this organization?

It doesn't seem like him, and while I am disgusted at what we would likely have to give up to get Sanchez, I only want the best QB to play next year. Whether that is a more experienced player like Campbell, who has done everything this organization has asked of him but hasn't been able to shed the "play it safe" routine likely ingrained/brainwashed by the Gibbs regime, or the spot is overtaken by someone else, the reports coming out just stink.

Sanchez is definitely talented and could be a great QB. I don't see him having the longevity/toughness and the work ethic of a guy like Drew Brees, who I think he compares to, but he has the things that Campbell lacks; vocal motivation, intensity and a willingness to sling the ball around with abandon.

The million dollar question: is it worth sacrificing the next several years of competitiveness/direction and team-building to draft a guy that can move around the pocket a bit better because he is shorter and his system required it, has a bit of fire and spunk and played well because of being on one of most talented teams of the last 10 years?

What? Campbell wouldn't be up for some competition? That's some straight-up loser thinking, right there. I believe Sanchez was told by Snyder that he would have to compete for the starting spot.

Hey Jason, I hear Safeway's hiring.

They also said "you're our guy" and that "You're the starting quarterback" over this past off season...

Why in the world should Campbell trust a thing this front office tells him?

They also said "you're our guy" and that "You're the starting quarterback" over this past off season...

Why in the world should Campbell trust a thing this front office tells him?

Why does it matter one way or the other? It's not his job to "trust" the front office. It's their job to get the best players for the team and his to listen to his coaches. Negotiations are done by agents. There's no reason for Campbell to trust or mistrust the front office.

I have a question. If the Skins FO is that sold on the fact that Campbell is NOT the future, Doesn't that mean that he does have a future and we as fans should rally behind him to keep him here? Isn't this the next Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce situation. Since when does our FO know how to judge talent?

i don't blame him. if he happens to lose the QB competition (not to mention the winner may be chosen politically by the f.o., not based on performance), then he deserves to play for a new contract for some other team....but then he would have missed training camp and valuable time to learn their scheme. then we're stuck with an aging team and a newbie QB. doesn't make sense. i like sanchez, but we better not draft him! if we're gonna trade up to draft for skill and not need, take crabtree.

Here's where we part ways. Those of us like me who feel he's a bad owner because of the .45 winning pct. under his tenure are making some very valid points. What you're arguing for is a lack of accountability. "Sure we traded away four first round draft picks for one player and he ended up being a bust but let's not play the blame game. And for Pete's sake don't even hint that the person responsible should be well, held responsible". Yeah, that's realistic. :doh:

At least we ARE agreed on some things. And I appreciate what you say, whether I agree or not.

I don't argue for lack of accountability. Maybe because of my job, I just require factual bases for conclusions. Far far too often, the bashing is done without any attention being paid to facts. When speculation becomes fact and then someone/anyone is tarred and feathered because of a rumor or speculation, trouble ensues.

We never traded 4 firsts for one player. We traded, arguably, too much to trade up for Campbell if he doesn't wind up being THE GUY. That was Gibbs' decision. He was the football boss. He thought Campbell was THE GUY and, honestly, so did I. I liked the move at the time. If we're going to hold someone accountable, let's at least hold the right people accountable. Snyder turned the team over to Gibbs for 4 seasons (would have done so for longer had Gibbs stuck around). That doesn't give Snyder a free pass, but it should temper much of the hate. As I see it, it does sort of give Cerrato a pass b/c he wasn't a decision-maker at that time. To the extent he is now, people should feel free to heap praise or scorn. After one year, I offer no conclusions because I don't have enough facts.

As for Gibbs, he made some really good calls: Moss over Coles. Portis over Champ. Cooley. He also liked trading draft picks. I'm not a proponent of that, usually, but Gibbs knows football better than I. I have been critical of Cerrato's trade of a 2nd for Taylor, but I don't the move was made necessary b/c we didn't draft Calais Campbell (who barely played for the Cards this season). It's a move I wouldn't have done, but is defensible (and was widely supported on this site). That it didn't work suddenly makes Cerrato an idiot?

I think it's too bad that you, for some unknown reason *cough* Snyder's payroll *cough* just can't see that is the primary reason most fans are sick of him. If he were winning big and often, almost nobody, least of all me, would be giving the guy a hard time about much of anything.

I understand that Snyder's free-spending ways are a big reason why fans dislike him, but that doesn't mean it makes any sense. I don't think Snyder's spending is the primary reason the team has been stuck in neutral. I think a confluence of a number of reasons -- some bad decisions that looked good, some bad decisions that had little chance of becoming good, and bad luck -- go into the equation. Much of it is on Gibbs' shoulders, hardly all of it. Ultimately, it doesn't really matter -- the team needs to get better and Snyder is and will be the owner. A debate over the right thing to do makes more sense than simply hating Snyder because he spends a lot of money.

We're agreed: if they were winning all the time, the pulse would be different.

I have a question. If the Skins FO is that sold on the fact that Campbell is NOT the future, Doesn't that mean that he does have a future and we as fans should rally behind him to keep him here? Isn't this the next Ryan Clark, Antonio Pierce situation. Since when does our FO know how to judge talent?

All teams let players go in contract years, even good ones. Gregg Williams thought Pierce was expendible and Arch Deluxe was an upgrade on Clark. Guys get it wrong sometimes. Since Campbell plays offense and Williams is no longer with the team, I wouldn't sweat it too much.

Archived