Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Campbell Planning His Next Move

Oldskool

Campbell Planning His Next Move

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 23, 2009, 8:19 p.m.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/04/23/campbell-planning-his-next-move/

Plotting a potential exit strategy in case the Washington Redskins trade up to draft USC quarterback Mark Sanchez, Redskins starting quarterback Jason Campbell will request a trade if Sanchez winds up in the nation’s capital, according to Steve Wyche of NFL.com.

It’s a fairly safe assumption that Campbell would probably lose any remaining motivation to play for the Redskins if they select a quarterback in the first round on the heels of their unsuccessful offseason pursuit of quarterback Jay Cutler. Cutler wound up with the Chicago Bears after the Denver Broncos appeared to be close to trading him to the Redskins.

After the Redskins attempted to acquire Cutler, they made a big point out of trying to mend fences with Campbell through meetings with owner Daniel Snyder and General Manager Vinny Cerrato and also issued a statement.

Although Campbell handled that difficult situation with class, yet another move for a quarterback would seem to make this a fairly untenable situation for him.

Currently holding the 13th overall pick of the draft, though, it’s no lock that the Redskins will manage to trade up to land Sanchez.

Of course, Snyder is one of the most aggressive owners in the league and typically is willing to pay the price to get what he wants

It's out of his hands so he isn't planning a thing. If we draft any QB he is gone and possibly even if we don't.

And what if the FO and coaches really do want to keep him for one more year so they can let Sanchez ride the pine for a while? What if they do think he is their best QB right now and don't want to have to throw in Collins or Colt as a stopgap starter or take the risk of throwing Sanchez in? Then he could have some leverage. If they were banking on him staying for another year to hold the fort down and he says "nope", then they could be in trouble.

so what happens if we don't draft sanchez?

Ah hah! The one million dollar bologna sandwich!!!!

I can answer that. "We" would have one pissed off starting qb who would wilt at the very first sign of adversity this season. He's been beaten to a bloody pulp already and it's not even mini-camps yet. They'd better draft Sanchez at this point or Todd Collins may be the starting qb for Washington, which might not be as terrible as starting a fragile 5th year qb.

We can't afford Sanchez, the j*wbagel Dan Synder is having fun with every media outlet that covers football for hating on him all the time, biggest smoke screen ever. Campbell will be a better QB because of all this.

Mark my words

What? Campbell wouldn't be up for some competition? That's some straight-up loser thinking, right there. I believe Sanchez was told by Snyder that he would have to compete for the starting spot.

Hey Jason, I hear Safeway's hiring.

Man, you are taking the gloves off tonight.

We can't afford Sanchez

I didn't quote the offending remark but what the ____ was with that BS?

I highly doubt you'd say that in a group of people (or at least you wouldn't be emerging unscathed.) This ain't South Park and you're not Cartman.

You know, I'm honestly at a point where I hope we trade our next two or three first round draft picks to get Sanchez and he bombs while JC goes elsewhere and wins a SuperBowl or two. Maybe, just maybe that would teach Snyderatto some patience. Absent an epic fail like that I think we're in for more of what we've endured under Snyderatto up until now, i.e. absolute mediocrity.

Come to think of it, I can understand why he would want to leave quickly. Last time this happen, X was promise starting job, team moved up to draft Z, and next thing you know, X was bench 1/2 game into the season.

We can't afford Sanchez, the j*wbagel Dan Synder is having fun with every media outlet that covers football for hating on him all the time, biggest smoke screen ever. Campbell will be a better QB because of all this.

Mark my words

Marked.

And we'll see if you've learned anything from your poor choice of words in a week.

EDIT

After reviewing your user notes & your history here, I regret to inform you that this just isn't the place for you. You won't be returning in a week & I seriously think we all here will be ok with that.

You know, I'm honestly at a point where I hope we trade our next two or three first round draft picks to get Sanchez and he bombs while JC goes elsewhere and wins a SuperBowl or two. Maybe, just maybe that would teach Snyderatto some patience. Absent an epic fail like that I think we're in for more of what we've endured under Snyderatto up until now, i.e. absolute mediocrity.

You're gonna get rocked for saying that, but I do agree that Snyder needs a wakeup call. It's just getting to a ridiculous point.

We have aging lines, raw skill position players, and thin linebackers. And now we want to throw a rookie QB in there and see if he can take us to the big dance? Come on now.

Sanchez does NOT equal Ryan or Flacco. You can say college isn't anything like the pros, but playing experience in college is really, really important.

What? Campbell wouldn't be up for some competition? That's some straight-up loser thinking, right there. I believe Sanchez was told by Snyder that he would have to compete for the starting spot.

Hey Jason, I hear Safeway's hiring.

Echo your sentiment.

Jason, you are a cry baby! Do you realize the amount of investment that the Skins and their fans made in you. We gave up 3 draft picks, including a 1st rounder to get you. Then because you didn't have the football savvy, you warmed the bench for a 1 and a 1/2! When you were handed the ropes ... you did little to inspire confidence.

You and your fans can blame everyone for your poor play... But, you know in your heart you are not an elite QB. If you are scared of competition, it doesn't speak much about your abilities/confidence -- Does it?!

Everyone is getting beyond the point of frustration.

Maybe it would be better for the Skins, and better for JC if they part ways quickly.

And if a 4-12 season is what it takes to get someone in the FO that knows anything about building a football team, then bring it on. We might be better because of it in a few seasons.

And if a 4-12 season is what it takes to get someone in the FO that knows anything about building a football team, then bring it on. We might be better because of it in a few seasons.

I agree. 8-8, give or take a few, just makes Snyderatto think they're a stone's throw away from the big time.

Archived