Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: Campbell Planning His Next Move

Oldskool

What? Campbell wouldn't be up for some competition? That's some straight-up loser thinking, right there. I believe Sanchez was told by Snyder that he would have to compete for the starting spot.

Hey Jason, I hear Safeway's hiring.

Of course, you're right: he should be open to competition, but this is hardly surprising. This happens around the league every single year. A starter who (a) has performed OK but not brilliantly and (B) is in a contract year is somehow shocked that the team is looking at a replacement. My sense was that Campbell understood this, but the human ego's a pretty powerful thing.

I don't blame JC at all. The good news; open competition in training camp. The bad news: Colt with zero NFL experience and a good college career vs. zero NFL experience with 16 starts in college.

I am not a huge JC supporter but our QB situation goes from bad to horrible if this train occurs. Not to mention, who is going to block for these guys?

Marked.

And we'll see if you've learned anything from your poor choice of words in a week.

EDIT

After reviewing your user notes & your history here, I regret to inform you that this just isn't the place for you. You won't be returning in a week & I seriously think we all here will be ok with that.

Thanks TK. I was hoping talk like that would be dealt with swiftly.

I really hope that we are able to pick up a quarterback tomorrow, at a reasonable price. At the same time I do feel bad for Jason. It has not worked out in DC and it is time to move on however there are very few options for him to start on any other team. Aside from maybe the Vikings and Jets I don't see many teams where he will ever see the field.

We can't afford Sanchez, the j*wbagel Dan Synder is having fun with every media outlet that covers football for hating on him all the time, biggest smoke screen ever. Campbell will be a better QB because of all this.

Mark my words

This is one of the reasons I get so Snyder-defensive sometimes. I'm neither a Snyder supporter or detractor, but the scapegoating of the front office and the lack of balance (the blind hate) that goes into that has always made me queasy. It's just reactionary and ignorant. And then it leads to this moron voicing what many people (not the majority) believe but won't say: Snyder is young, nouveau-riche, bereft of winning personality, and Jewish. That's a problem for a slim minority of the folks who light into him no matter what he does. We can lift the discourse to a higher level than this (or, for that matter, FIRE VINNY FIRE VINNY FIRE VINNY) and share our passion as well as our football knowledge without getting hysterical.

The Redskins under Snyder's ownership have done some smart things and some stupid things. We only know that the things they've done haven't led to the promised land. There are dozens of reasons for this. Why does there need to be a blame ritual? Why does there have to be a villain? Decisions are made. Sometimes we don't agree with them. Some of those times we were right. Other times, decisions were supported by a majority of posters and didn't work (Jason Taylor). So what? Why attack Snyder when a constructive discussion of what we think they should do or an overview of the options is what makes the community dialogue fun and interesting?

I'll get off my horse now.

A poster on this thread made the comment that they had been hearing where Campbell was not open to a quarterback competition.

I wanted to point it out because that's not the first time I heard something like that. A few weeks ago, I was driving to work and listening to DC101, and they were talking about that on EITM (Elliot in the morning). Elliot said he felt bad for Campbell because of the Cutler thing, but that he (Eliot) didn't feel that Jason had any leverage to say that he's not open for a competition.

A Caller also said that Campbell has talked with his agent about holding out prior to training camp, to force the redskins to re-sign him. Elliot had that crazy laugh and he suggested it would be career suicide on JC's part...

I really like JC the person but it sounds like he has kind of an ego problem, especially if he thinks he's above quarterback competition. That part i kinda understand, but a training camp hold out? Jason has done NOTHING here to deserve a big, long-term extension.

I don't blame JC at all. The good news; open competition in training camp. The bad news: Colt with zero NFL experience and a good college career vs. zero NFL experience with 16 starts in college.

I am not a huge JC supporter but our QB situation goes from bad to horrible if this train occurs. Not to mention, who is going to block for these guys?

I dont blame JC at all too. But I think Redskins front office is crazy as hell to put us in in spot. Let say JC is our starter QB and play at high level the whole year around. Do you really think JC trust the redskins to sign another deal with them?

You are mistaken. Jay Cutler was in a much uglier situation before he was traded. How did that work out in compensation for the Broncos?

It is about the demand teams have for a player. There is no bidding war for JC. If he was more talented there would be. When a team passes up on more compensation in terms of draft picks because they feel Orton is a superior player compared to Jason, it clears up what his value is.

Where is your proof the The Redskins offered more picks than Chicago?

My take is that the picks offered by Chicago are what put them ahead in this trade, not the QBs involved. People keep saying they failed to trade for Cutler. I think they declined to outbid Chicago in terms of the picks offered.

Some people are also saying they failed to sign Leftwich, when they didn't even offer him a deal after his visit.

hopefully hes planning to move to new york and the AFC. lol

Oh but I thought he was so horrible you would have wanted him in the NFCE?>

This is completely out of control, and I hope if Campbell leaves he goes on to have a stellar career. He has not earned what is being given to him at this point. Rumors have not been squashed, so they are true and the FO does not care how it effects JC. What did he ever do to this team otherthan try his hardest to improve? He did not suck while he was here, and was getting better. Some fans have shown that they are just as impatient as the little helmeted one. God I wish I had a couple of billion laying around.

You know, I'm honestly at a point where I hope we trade our next two or three first round draft picks to get Sanchez and he bombs while JC goes elsewhere and wins a SuperBowl or two. Maybe, just maybe that would teach Snyderatto some patience. Absent an epic fail like that I think we're in for more of what we've endured under Snyderatto up until now, i.e. absolute mediocrity.

I almost feel the same way...I'm not even excited about this draft anymore...I just want it to be over...

You know, I'm honestly at a point where I hope we trade our next two or three first round draft picks to get Sanchez and he bombs while JC goes elsewhere and wins a SuperBowl or two. Maybe, just maybe that would teach Snyderatto some patience. Absent an epic fail like that I think we're in for more of what we've endured under Snyderatto up until now, i.e. absolute mediocrity.

Man, this is hard for me to say but I am almost to the point you are at, I don't think I can get there but thanks for saying it for me. If we draft Sanchez I don't know how stable I will be for the next week. This is ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS that we would make this move. This would be starting over and having to redo the whole team, by the time dirty sanchez gets to a level to be an all pro(if he ever does, more likely to be the next Matt Linehart) we will have to replace Portis, Moss, most of the Oline and Albert will be over thirty. Are D ends will probably be dead from old age. Big Mike Sellers will be gone. To not give Campbell a real fair chance is absolutely stupid, I hope that they do not get Sanchez and Campbell gets his chance to shine. TOM BRADY couldn't win here, so why so hard on Campbell. Why do people think that Campbell is so fragile. He doesn't run his mouth or cry for things, he comes to work and plays hard. Tries to play under the scheme of each new coach he plays for each year (Sarcasm here, so don't flip out and say he had two years under Saunders, by the way how he do last year). Some people judge Campbell as fragile because of what other people say not what Campbell says or does. If Campbell is our starter this year this will be known as the BUMP YEAR for a whole lot of threads and ludicrous comments.

HAIL

Where is your proof the The Redskins offered more picks than Chicago?

My take is that the picks offered by Chicago are what put them ahead in this trade, not the QBs involved. People keep saying they failed to trade for Cutler. I think they declined to outbid Chicago in terms of the picks offered.

Some people are also saying they failed to sign Leftwich, when they didn't even offer him a deal after his visit.

The Skins picks, specifically the number 13 has a far higher point value than the Bears 18. Next years are weighted the same. Do a search and there are multiple sources that describe exactly what was offered and what it came down to was the Broncos preferred Orton to JC. In fact they weren't willing to even take JC as part of the deal.

The Jason Taylor trade likely cost the Redskins acquiring Jay Cutler.

That article says "citing league sources". The Campbell quotes in that article were from Tuesday, and they show the class and professionalism that we have come to expect from Campbell. Nothing in that article quotes Campbell saying, "I want to be traded".

I stand by what I said earlier.

That article says "citing league sources". The Campbell quotes in that article were from Tuesday, and they show the class and professionalism that we have come to expect from Campbell. Nothing in that article quotes Campbell saying, "I want to be traded".

I stand by what I said earlier.

A guy on the NFL network said the same thing yesterday, and I think that's where this is being generated. I don't think JLC came up with this.

You are mistaken. Jay Cutler was in a much uglier situation before he was traded. How did that work out in compensation for the Broncos?

It is about the demand teams have for a player. There is no bidding war for JC. If he was more talented there would be. When a team passes up on more compensation in terms of draft picks because they feel Orton is a superior player compared to Jason, it clears up what his value is.

First off, there is no proof that we offered more than the Bears did. The facts seem to indicate we had actually offered less, or that our deals were about equal, but McDaniels liked Orton Better.

i see why the FO wants to draft Sanchez and get rid off JC, it's a no brainer...the FO clearly doesn't think JC is the answer at the QB position and don't want to waste another top performance from out defense because of weak QB play...maybe the FO wants to capitalize with the strong defense and put in a reliable QB that can possibly make plays

The Skins picks, specifically the number 13 has a far higher point value than the Bears 18. Next years are weighted the same. Do a search and there are multiple sources that describe exactly what was offered and what it came down to was the Broncos preferred Orton to JC. In fact they weren't willing to even take JC as part of the deal.

Specifically, Chicago also gave up this year's 3rd rounder.

If we did that we wouldn't be picking until round 5.

I stand by my OPINION.

Specifically, Chicago also gave up this year's 3rd rounder.

If we did that we wouldn't be picking until round 5.

I stand by my OPINION.

This is what thought, the bears gave up one more pick, and orton. We were willing to part with JC, but not our 3rd round pick. it is what it is, at least we didn't get taken to the cleaners by Denver again.

What we haven't heard is Campbell actually say these things. What's truly disappointing is people will bash Campbell based on hearsay and call him a crybaby. Campbell has handled this thing with class and professionalism in the media, but fans here will take whatever rumors say as gospel and say he's a crybaby.

I guess people just hear what they want to hear, huh?

And most of the people quick to call him a crybaby, were those same people who supported Jay Cutler :doh:. Warren Sapp talked about how fans are so quick to hop on anything the media says.

Archived