Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Skins unbelievable history of not drafting d-linemen(Merged)

Hooper

Yeah we all noticed this a long time ago.

The last time Vinny drafted a D-lineman high was in SF, I can't remember the guy's name but he was a first round pick and he couldn't play at all.

Since then we've seen reports that Vinny believes you can just plug random guys into the D-line and coach 'em up.

Whatever.

As a side note, you can mock the Raiders for taking Sebastian Janikowski in the 1st.

However, last I checked he's still playing for them, which is more than can be said of some of the guys drafted ahead of him in the 2000 draft:

1. Courtney Brown

2. Lavar Arrington

4. Peter Warrick

10. Travis Taylor

11. Ron Dayne

In fairness we have only had 8 first round picks since Lang and 6 of the 8 were very good picks. We have had bigger needs in the past. No we have not had a great pass rusher but we have had solid players on the D line. That can't be said for other postions where the Washington Redskins have put some horriblle players on the field.

Defensive line picks are likely to be busts. I'm just saying, is all.

I was curious about this, so I decided to check it out, really had no idea what I would find in the stats. I dug up first-round DL picks for a 5-year period from 2003-2007; gave last year's rookies a pass. Anyway, here's what I found, with my opinions annotated:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

2003 1st-round DL picks (# 2008 games/starts if not yet Pro Bowler) (* = "bust" imho):

Dewayne Robertson (15/15)

Johnathan Sullivan (0/0) *

Kevin Williams (Pro Bowl)

Terrell Suggs (PB)

Jimmy Kennedy (8/0) *

Ty Warren (13/13)

Michael Haynes (0/0) *

Jerome McDougle (4/0) *

Calvin Pace (16/16)

William Joseph (8/0) *

Tyler Brayton (16/16)

5/11 = "bust"

2004:

Tommie Harris (PB)

Will Smith (PB)

Kenechi Udeze (16/15)

Vince Wilfork (PB)

Marcus Tubbs (0/0) *

Jason Babin (7/4) *

2/6 = "bust"

2005:

Travis Johnson (15/14)

Erasmus James (5/0) * :doh:

Marcus Spears (16/15)

Luis Castillo (15/15)

Mike Patterson (16/16)

1/5 = "bust"

2006:

Mario Williams (PB)

Haloti Ngata (16/16)

Kamerion Wimbley (16/16)

Brodrick Bunkley (16/16)

Tamba Hali (15/15)

John McCargo (7/0) *

Mathias Kiwanuka (16/16)

1/7 = "bust"

2007:

Gaines Adams (16/16)

Jamaal Anderson (15/15)

Amobi Okoye (14/12)

Adam Carriker (15/9)

Justin Harrell (6/0) *

Jarvis Moss (12/0) *

Anthony Spencer (12/0)

2/7 = "bust"

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Of the 36 DL picks I identified, I classified 11 (approx. 30%) as "busts," guys who are not contributing at this point (within 5 years of being drafted) to their teams. The only one I considered adding to that category but didn't was Anthony Spencer, who didn't start any games last year; but he has registered 30+ tackles in each of his first 2 years in the league, so he's adding some value there, don't consider him a total washout yet.

I guess my finding here would be that you have a pretty good chance of getting a productive player if you go DL in the first round of the NFL draft.

:whoknows:

Assuming the Sanchez saga passes, this situation will be corrected if they draft Everett Brown...I think. Would be ironic considering Lang, another FSU product was crappy for the skins.

Lang was from "The U" broseph, not FSU.

The argument about being about to get a good player in a later round can be made for an position and is invalid. Tom Brady and Terrell Davis in the 6th etc.

Right now the D line is really weak. Last year we got consistently beat up in the trenches late in games by the run. Dallas and Baltimore games come to mind. Yes we have Haynesworth now, but him with a bunch of old farts around aren't going to get it done.

If there is a really good stud DE available at 13 like Okapo we have to take him.

Anyone care to point out the great DL that would have been a better pick than what we made at the time?

I've got Osi instead of Taylor Jacobs, Jason Jones instead of Davis (though it's too early to say this IMO), Kalimba Edwards instead of Ramsey (but a lot of hindsight on that one, at the time Ramsey might have been the better pick, don't know remember the talk on them entering the draft).

Anyone care to point out the great DL that would have been a better pick than what we made at the time?

I've got Osi instead of Taylor Jacobs, Jason Jones instead of Davis (though it's too early to say this IMO), Kalimba Edwards instead of Ramsey (but a lot of hindsight on that one, at the time Ramsey might have been the better pick, don't know remember the talk on them entering the draft).

Its a lot easier to do your draft years after the fact.

:saber:

Archived