Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Dan knows when to use his weight as an owner

gorebd82

Its the fact that they think Sanchez is a possible Eli/Rivers/Roethlisberger that worries me.

Sanchez is going to be good. Especially if he lands on a decent team like us where he wont have to do it all himself. I haven't been as excited about a QB prospect like Sanchez in a few years, although Matt Ryan was a real stud.

If he'd played his senior season and come out next year, it'd been between him and the remarkably accurate Sam Bradford for the #1 overall pick. As it is now, the only weakness to his game is his lack of experience.

I understand that sentiment, but I think people have too much of an emotional attachment to draft picks. People are saying if we trade up we should get Orakpo, Curry or an OT, but obviously our FO thinks that Sanchez is the special player worth moving up for. Everyone focuses on "what if he isn't", but what if he is?

Our FO does pretty good at the top of the draft and a lot of other teams covet him. Maybe, just maybe, he's our franchise QB that we've been praying for. I'd rather trade up for that player than pray that someone slips to us at #13. Most likely, Orakpo, Curry, and the big 4 are gone and we will either reach for a LB, take Britton because we're scared there will be no OTs, or get Maybin or Brown that don't really fit our system and have to transition from DE.

Who is going to block for him? Say he doesn't play this year and plays next year. We won't have a top pick to secure a lineman. We would have a second, but then who would be available. I think that we are setting ourselves way back in order to get a skill position player in order to sell more tickets and jerseys. That is all this seems to be. Snyderatto wants to find his next Sonny Jurgensen, but the problem is that Dan Snyder is decent at business, but really doesn't have any football experience. He has Al Davis' penchant for offense without having played, coached, or even been commissioner. Al Davis can at least say all those things and he can say that he won three super bowls, unlike our owner who likes to take out the lombardis that he didn't earn and show them off. He needs to look long and hard as to what brought those trophies to Washington. Sure players like Monk, Theismann, Rypien, Clark, Williams, and Sanders did it, but the one constant was the offensive line. For the most part we had the same players on the offensive line in the gibbs era and that was able to get us through to the Super Bowls, not QBs, or WRs. We need to get an offensive lineman. I don't care how good Sanchez is, if we don't have someone blocking for him this team will be drafting in the top 10 for the next two years and we won't have a draft pick next year so that will be a loss. Basically, no to trading up to get Sanchez.

I feel the opposite. The RB, top WR and OL have been the constant on our offense and the fluctuating piece has been the QB. Our success for the most part has been determined by how much the QB contributes. I really do like Campbell, but bottom line is that I recognize that him developing into an elite QB is a pipe dream that I can't hold onto. He and Ben have some similar attributes physically, but that is where the comparison ends. Sorry.

There has been no constant with our Top RB who falls apart at the end of the year, O line that plays great for 6 games a year or our One Wide reciever who puts up monster numbers for a third or the year and absouloutly dissapears for the rest of the season.

I'm sorry, but putting Dan Rooney and Dan Snyder in the same sentence is ludicrous. A man who has embodied the idea of stability can't compare with someone who doesn't even want a QB he traded up to draft. The Steelers have had less coaches in their entire history than Snyder has had in his ten years as owner. This isn't comparing apples to apples at all.

Sanchez is a one hit wonder and how often does Dan Rooney stick his nose in gm decisions. Rare. Lets not forget the Steelers is and has always have been a winning organization for the last 20 years regardless of any mistakes made in drafting. I do not think the Skins is in that mode or remotely close. This poor decision could set the franchise back another six years.

Safe pick? No, everyone wants the sexy pick, the flashy player. The linemen is the essential pick that the good GMs make because they realize that, though the fans dont see it, they are absolutely essential. Its one thing to say a franchise QB can make the difference, its another to find the franchise QB. Oh if only it were that easy...

Using the Giants as an example is not very smart. The Giants trading for Eli was a total disaster. They gave up an obscene amount of picks for a QB who was WORSE than Rivers. Why should we make the same mistake?

I feel the opposite. The RB, top WR and OL have been the constant on our offense and the fluctuating piece has been the QB. Our success for the most part has been determined by how much the QB contributes. I really do like Campbell, but bottom line is that I recognize that him developing into an elite QB is a pipe dream that I can't hold onto. He and Ben have some similar attributes physically, but that is where the comparison ends. Sorry.

Damn, Vinny.... You're pushing really hard for this QB. Danny has you all smitten, too, huh?

Shouldn't you be looking over your prospectus on Six Flags and wonder what went wrong?

Steelers were good under Cowher, but waisted some good teams with Kordal Stewart as their quarterback. They didn't start winning Super Bowls again until they got Ben.

You give the Skins a good quarterback and we are a completely different team. We saw a glimpse of what we could be with Collins.

Very good argument. I just don't think Sanchez is a franchise QB. The reason I believe picking a OL, LB, or a DL is a safer, smarter pick is because those are weaker areas. Last year we went from 6-2 to 2-6 now many people believed that other teams figured us out. But both lines, mainly the offensive, just got older and more worn out.

Teams win with how far there lines can take them. If you have a franchise QB in the pocket but he can't execute a long pass because the O-line can't hold up then what is the point. :helmet:

I just saw Ron Cook from the Pittsburgh-Post Gazette on Outside the Lines: First Report. He said that when Phillip Rivers was off the board, Bill Cowher wanted to pull the trigger on offensive tackle Shawn Andrews.

Apparently, Dan Rooney "mosied" in the room and told them they needed to rethink the draft pick because "that's a franchise quarterback" and they needed to pull the trigger.

A lot of people on here criticize Snyder, but this situation is like that other Dan where people want us to get a safe pick like an O-Lineman, but like I read in another article, franchise QBs are more precious than gold. If you see one, you have to grab him because you might not get a shot at another one.

I know everyone on this board respects Rooney and he went for the QB over the lineman. Everyone respects Ernie Accorsi and he paid a lot to get Eli even though Rivers and Roethlisberger were still on the board. Everyone respects AJ Smith and he spent top 5 money on Rivers even though he had a young Drew Brees in his contract year. All three situations mirror the Skins predicament. If we see the same thing in Sanchez, lets get him.

I don't see the comparison at all, in fact all I see here is an attempt to legitimize Snyder as an owner who actually has a clue about any aspect of football other than cheering for his team on Sunday's.

1st point, Rooney told them to rethink the pick for Big Ben? Did he tell them to give up an entire draft to do it? Did he tell them to do it after he insisted on wasting 4 years, and plenty of draft picks on a QB who was nothing more than a 3rd rd project at best, and pick him in the first rd?

2nd point and maybe the most important, are we now going to compare Sanchez to Big Ben? The realism is all 3 QB's taken, Eli, River's, and BB, were, and probably will remain superior to Sanchez as their career's unfold.

Sanchez is a newer version of Matt hasselbeck, which isn't a bad thing, but Hasselbeck IMO really needed to be in a WCO to flourish, and in a stadium that is almost impossible for an opposing team to play in. Sanchez looks like he MIGHT eventually be a pretty good QB in the right situation at some point. But to start moving up and giving up picks with the needs we have for a player of Sanchez's physical ability, with all the holes we need to fill is stupid. This isn't an all time great prospect, and you will have a better QB coming out next year in Bradford at the very least.

In closing Sanchez's body of work is so small I don't know how you can really judge the guy in real game conditions, the one game I saw him pressed he lost, and he had his opportunities to rally his team and couldn't. Rest assured he wont have all day to throw in the NFL, and he wont have WR's running wide open on every play!

So far under Danny's guidance he has managed to bring in 3 failures at QB, 2 of which were just about as ridiculous as you can get in Brunnell, and Campbell because of what he gave up to obtain these 2 players, Brunell was about to be released from his team, so Danny moves in and gives up picks and 43 mil, and another who at best was projected in the 2nd rd, which we can all see at this point towards the draft how overvalued QB's become as the draft draws near, it is apparent that in reality JC was a 4th or 5th rd selection at best.

Archived