Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN pet peeve- RBI or RBIs?

TheGoodBits

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

So I think it was last baseball season that ESPN suddenly starting using "RBI" instead of "RBIs" to describe multiple runs batted in. I'm guessing people complained about the use of "RBIs," or it was just a pet peeve of someone high up at ESPN.

Now I can see both sides of the argument. Those in favor of "RBI" would argue that since it stands for "runS batted in," the plural nature of the phrase makes it unnecessary, and even incorrect, to use the "s" at the end of RBI.

Those in favor of "RBIs," including myself, would argue that when you are looking at the box score you take a run batted in and turn it into a statistic. A singular statistic. For example, "Jones had a base hit and an RBI in his first at-bat," would turn into: "Jones now has a single and a double for 2 RBIs." You aren't really saying that he had "2 runs batted inS," you are taking the each individual run batted in and turning it into an individual statistic known as an RBI. When you have 2 of these statistics, then you should have 2 RBIs.

I'm going to include a poll to get a better idea of what everyone thinks. Debate away.:)

ok, but what if he has only 1 RBI then it's one runs batted in.

Not necessarily. Could be 1 run batted in, and RBI would still work.

My point is that when you take the actual act of batted a run in, and turning it into a stat, then each of those stats becomes singular. Hence 1 RBI, 2 RBIs.

6 or 7, really? I just noticed it sometime last season, and I've been watch Sportscenter for a long time now.

It might have been earlier. Had to be 02'/03' because my best friend still lived out here, and he was the first person I heard mention this. Since he explained it to me I've seen both RBI and RBIs used on ESPN over the years. Depends on who the anchors are.

I couldn't possibly care less what the correct grammatical way of saying it is. We're talking about sports. I've been saying RBIs for about 22 years now and I refuse to change my ways! :mad:

ESPN is technically correct to make the change, but for a network that regularly features guys saying "booyah" and "backbackbackbackbackback" -it's not like this brings them back into the good graces of English teachers around the country.

It's kind of like when people say Attourneys General-you might be correct, but is it really worth it at the expense of sounding like an uppity douche?

RBI

Now for something somewhat off-topic. An ESPN pet peeve of mine is their insistence on listing Pts, Assists, THEN Rebounds (in that order) on the ticker for basketball statlines. Everyone else does points, rebounds, then assists. Even espn used to list them that way. No one says 20, 3, and 10. There must be others out there that are annoyed by this. Espn is being a ***** and different just because they can. Omg this drives me nuts.

Archived