Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN:NFL Top 10 Worst Moves of Offseason (Skins)

Chump Bailey

Don't think you can really look at the DHall signing as anything but a gamble, and a sizable one. Its a big risk/reward play, and if he is a playmaker (which this team desperately needs), then it will pay off huge.

Haynesworth signing is just as big if not a bigger gamble. We definitely paid him a premium to market value, and he's got other character issues which mostly get glossed over on this board.

That being said, I think these two guys will work off each other really well. Penetrating Dline + cover corner with good hands and playmaking ability = good results on defense.

I also don't think our FO is getting enough credit for the Dock signing, I love that we got this guy back and we desperately needed to get younger on the OL. I couldn't have handpicked a better situation there.

At one point in time the Redskins are attempting to buy a championship with overpriced aging veterns. Now they are getting younger at key positions and getting **** for it. Amazing.

I can see the argument of Hall, but I think that Hall wanted to be here and that's why he played hard. He didn't like Oakland so he screwed them in order to get a trade. It worked, good for him. I hope he doesn't start to hate playing in Washington for awhile or...

Albert and Doc were brilliant moves by the skins and I don't care what the media says about it right now. So long as Al plays at the same level and makes his teammates around him better I'll be happy. I think Doc will just be a plug and play - the lines are improved from last season already but need a C and T on offense and a DE on Defense.

The question is, was Hall just phoning it in as a Raider, much like many other players do?

Lots of people thought Randy Moss's better days were behind him after his short period in Oakland, then he goes to a team he is happy to be with and he reminded people he was a top 3 WR in the league.

A dream situation for Redskins fans could have been a play in which pressure on the QB by a blitzing Jason Taylor forces a bad pass that is intercepted by Shawn Springs and returned for a rare defensive TD.

I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall a situation very similar to this last season, where we had pressure on the QB, he was forced to throw the ball away early, Hall was set up for the pick 6, and SPRINGS cut Hall off and dropped the pick. I was pretty upset about that last year. I may have permuted the names a little bit, but thats how I remember it.

[/b]

I may be wrong about this, but I seem to recall a situation very similar to this last season, where we had pressure on the QB, he was forced to throw the ball away early, Hall was set up for the pick 6, and SPRINGS cut Hall off and dropped the pick. I was pretty upset about that last year. I may have permuted the names a little bit, but thats how I remember it.

I remember that play.

I don't think Hall will acted up around here. Our defense was good with out him, so its not like he's the corner stone of the unit. We got Vets that'll smack him in the mouth if he gets out of line.

This article did make me feel a little better about getting Dockery back. We still be player or two to solidify that OLine though.

We all know there were no character issues at all with Atlanta or Oakland. Maybe...just maybe our team has something right which is good character. The veterans on this team aren't going to let Hall get out of hand. If it's one thing this franchise has right, it's how players respect their teammates by not getting them in trouble over stupid matters. This isn't going to change because of Hall. I'm 100 percent certain that Fletcher and Griffin will put the smack down in the lockeroom if necessary. Which it won't be.

I agree that turnovers and sacks are important(mostly from a helping out the offense standpoint), but remember, the Skins were also #6 in points allowed. That right there is half of winning a football game.

Truth be told the Skins defense was over ranked. I could care less what number the NFL's ranking system used to describe their performance on the field last year, there was improvement needed, and the team agrees which is why they went out and broke the bank on BigAl.

There were a few games where in the 4th qtr the D could not get off the field, don't you remember the 2nd Dallas game, and the Baltimore game?

There is no way you can convince me that the defense was/is ok heading into 2009 simply because they were ranked high in 2008:doh:.

If anyone actually watched a Raider's game last year, Hall looked like he'd switched places with someone. They guy looked completely lost on the football field. He was getting embarrassed by rookies. It was pretty awkward to watch, not at all what you expected, but it was pretty obvious there was something wrong.

When he got to Washington he looked like he'd been there for a year or two, made great plays and I (who hated the signing initially) was pleasantly surprised. Hall is better in a Skins uniform. He looked much more like the guy that went to Pro-Bowls than the guy who played in Oakland. I think he's going to be a great replacement for Springs. Since they played about the same number of games for our team last season and Hall hasn't been injury prone, we should have a full season out of a CB.

Love the in game scenario with Springs. Can't remember the last time he did that. Hall on the other hand? Seems to be more of a playmaker to me than Springs. Springs probably is better in coverage, but you won't get 16 games out of him either.

Did we overpay? Maybe. Hard to say for sure right now. Given the age difference between the two, I think right now we made the right decision.

I'm sorry, but i think signing Hall was better than paying 8 mill for a 34 year old oft injured Springs, who you will be getting only 8-12 games max.

Truth be told the Skins defense was over ranked. I could care less what number the NFL's ranking system used to describe their performance on the field last year, there was improvement needed, and the team agrees which is why they went out and broke the bank on BigAl.

There were a few games where in the 4th qtr the D could not get off the field, don't you remember the 2nd Dallas game, and the Baltimore game?

There is no way you can convince me that the defense was/is ok heading into 2009 simply because they were ranked high in 2008:doh:.

We were slightly over-ranked because we had no pass rush and couldn't close games like a defensive powerhouse. But our D held teams to a low score better than most. Our inabilty to answer with points and keep the D off the field is why we lost games. Hopefully Big Al will help with our QB killing efficiency, but we need OL, OL depth and our young WR's to emerge if we are going to win more games. Along with solid play from JC. Every single move we have made except for Dock has been for our D. $150M worth. Our remaining resources need to go into raising our middle of the pack ranked offense. Should be a lot easier than tuning the 4th ranked D any higher.

Get the facts straight! I like how the article makes it sound like we lost Jason Taylor because we couldnt afford to keep him because of our terrible spending on Hall and Albert. We had Taylor locked up we let him go because of the workout clause. Just another hater trying to use the same old money issue with the redskins.

While I will agree with you that we did not lose Jason Taylor because we re-signed Hall and signed Hanyesworth, I do believe that we were given a choice between signing Dockery and keeping Taylor and went with Dockery. I honestly can't put it any other way then that happening.

Look at the events as they unfolded. Opening day we go out and sign these two men. Then Buffalo decides to dump Dock. We come out after signing Haynesworth and let the world know we are pairing the two together this year. We are asked about the salary cap and say everything is good to go and we are fine. Then Dockery comes on board and we dump Jason Taylor and tell the world we have 7 million in cap room left and start our vet minimum signings. Now I'm not a mathematician but if Jason was owed 8.5 million and after we released him we only had 7 million left, you tell me how we got to that point. To me we had to see that if we kept Jason we didn't have enough to sign Dockery or vice versa. We made a choice and choose Dockery which was the smart idea in my opinion. We dropped Taylor due to the fact we didn't have the money to keep him

We were slightly over-ranked because we had no pass rush and couldn't close games like a defensive powerhouse. But our D held teams to a low score better than most. Our inabilty to answer with points and keep the D off the field is why we lost games. Hopefully Big Al will help with our QB killing efficiency, but we need OL, OL depth and our young WR's to emerge if we are going to win more games. Along with solid play from JC. Every single move we have made except for Dock has been for our D. $150M worth. Our remaining resources need to go into raising our middle of the pack ranked offense. Should be a lot easier than tuning the 4th ranked D any higher.

But, as illone implied, anything close to a 'great' defense doesn't let offenses like Dallas (with an injured Romo sits to pee), Baltimore and Cincy run thru them like crepe paper the way those teams did in those 4th quarters.

You've got to remember that in Oakland, Hall was playing across from a player Nnamdi Asomugha who many think is the best CB in the league, that guy gets thrown at less than 3 times a game. So if a team throws the ball 25 five times and NA gets thrown at 3 times and lets say Nickelback / LB over the middle 8 times that left Hall on an Island by himself getting thrown at 14 times even the best CB is gonna give up huge plays getting thrown at that much.

But, as illone implied, anything close to a 'great' defense doesn't let offenses like Dallas (with an injured Romo sits to pee), Baltimore and Cincy run thru them like crepe paper the way those teams did in those 4th quarters.
I don't care so much for a great defense as just having a great team that can win games. Not that I don't love a powerful D. I think our defense was worn out towards the end of games because our offense was unable to sustain drives. And score. And we never brought pressure much at any time. My point is, it is much easier to raise the level of our O from poor to fair than it will be to elevate the #4 D to the first 3 spots. I think we have spent enough there for this year.

I'm not complaining at all about the moves we have made with Al and Hall. I'm just sayin...we need some blockers now, and we should be able to find a couple of them in the draft. Instead of ignoring our weakest squad totally, we should shore up our OL depth. I would prefer we explore some of the younger players we already have at LB for this year and use a DE rotation with the old guys we just resigned plus maybe Daniels. Next year we find a DE or DT to compliment Al, and a LB too if our guys don't step up.

Ultiimately you can't call move the Skins did thus far failures because the season hasn't started yet.

Hall could be a complete stud for 16 games and BigAl could break his leg on the first play of training camp (knocks on wood).

if BigAl continues what he started in tennessee and is on a one way street to Canton I think most will agree it was a good move.

Time will tell.

Love the in game scenario with Springs. Can't remember the last time he did that. Hall on the other hand? Seems to be more of a playmaker to me than Springs. Springs probably is better in coverage, but you won't get 16 games out of him either.

Did we overpay? Maybe. Hard to say for sure right now. Given the age difference between the two, I think right now we made the right decision.

And it's ok,NAY!, a brilliant move by the pats to sign both players because...well, they're the pats and we are not

Just look at Baltimore from two years ago...same great defense, horrible O, what did they win 3 games? Become a little better at offense over the offseason and all of the sudden they are a superbowl contender...eh

Hall was the more dangerous of the pick. But the Patriots defense rising to glory with Jason Taylor and Shawn Springs? I think not.

hahaha..

This made me laugh (yes.. out loud)

These haters must've been packed tight, full of brand-new Energizer batteries.

bnybigbunny_img.jpg

i'd photoshop something funny inside the drum.. but that would leave no fun for anyone else

:cool2:

ok.. ok.. ill stop being lazy

energizer_hater.jpg

:silly:

The question is, was Hall just phoning it in as a Raider, much like many other players do?

Lots of people thought Randy Moss's better days were behind him after his short period in Oakland, then he goes to a team he is happy to be with and he reminded people he was a top 3 WR in the league.

The chicken dinner winner.

/thread.

DHall is going to go down as one of the Skins better signings.

Archived