Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MVN:NFL Top 10 Worst Moves of Offseason (Skins)

Chump Bailey

http://mvn.com/outsider/2009/03/nfl-top-10-worst-moves-of-nfl-offseason.html

2. DeAngelo Hall gets enormous deal from the Redskins

But, conversely, if the Redskins don't win the NFC East this year, they'll have only their own destructive tendencies to blame. A dream situation for Redskins fans could have been a play in which pressure on the QB by a blitzing Jason Taylor forces a bad pass that is intercepted by Shawn Springs and returned for a rare defensive TD. Unfortunately, the Redskins needed the cap dollars those two proven veterans were taking up to...repeat a mistake the Oakland Raiders already made? Uh, yeah, that's pretty much it. There's no denying that DeAngelo Hall is a more dynamic athlete than Shawn Springs, but Springs is still, even while aging, the better cover guy of the two, and he'll play in New England accordingly. Actually, reports have Jason Taylor moving to New England as well this year, citing his desire to play with a winner again this year.

As for the Redskins, well, while the Patriots defense returns to prominence behind two of the Redskins more established talents from a year ago, they'll have DeAngelo Hall's antics to deal with instead. Hall has age on his side (he's 25), but in 5 years in the NFL, has failed to prove he can be a dependable starting cornerback. In his defense, he's trending in the right direction, but he still faces a make or break season in 2009, his 6th in the NFL. Should Hall bust, it's not himself he will be breaking. Thanks to the obscene 23 million dollar guarantee the Redskins gave him for 7 games of hard work, it's the Redskins defense that will take the fall should Hall revert to his old ways.

3. Titans screw the pooch on Haynesworth

It had been 16 years since Reggie White had hit the open market as a free agent, and for good reason too: true, legitimate franchise players never hit the open market. Or at least, it's structured in the NFL so that it never happens. The Raiders got close with Nnamdi Asomugha this year (what an FA class that would have made), but even they pulled a deal out of a hat at the last second. There's no way the Titans could have matched the contract the Redskins gave Haynesworth, but Albert was more than willing to stay with Tennessee if they would have paid him like the league's top defensive player, which they could have afforded to do.

This madness started when instead of signing his franchise tender, Haynesworth negotiated a one-year contract instead that explicitly forbade the Titans from tagging him again in 2009. Why in God's name the Titans did that, I'll never know. They could have negotiated a long-term deal right then, or waited until he signed the tender. Either way, they wrote contract language that basically meant that to stay in Tennessee, Haynesworth got to call his price. The Titans tried to negotiate him down, but the damage was done: he's a Redskin and for a pretty nicely structured deal by Washington. If the Redskins win the NFC East Title this season, they'll owe a pair of thank yous to the Titans and Bills for mismanaging two situations that helped the Redskins rebuild the lines this offseason.

6. Bills, Lions botch Derrick Dockery trade

Reminiscent of the Bears forgetting to tender RFA LB Warrick Holdman a half decade ago, costing them millions when they did re-sign him, the Bills and Lions had reportedly worked out a trade to send Derrick Dockery and his huge contract to Detroit to play LG, and give the Bills some compensation. Unfortunately, due to a breakdown in communication between the two teams, the Bills got confused and released Dockery.

Given his freedom, Dockery then stiffed the Lions to take less money to return to Washington. The Bills lost out on a pick, the Lions lost out on a player, and the Redskins got the best of both worlds. Which was big for the Redskins, considering #2 just below on this list. The Bills, determined to not allow another communication breakdown wreck an offseason, enlisted the assistance of QB Trent Edwards' mad text-messaging skills to help bring in WR Terrell Owens.

Love the in game scenario with Springs. Can't remember the last time he did that. Hall on the other hand? Seems to be more of a playmaker to me than Springs. Springs probably is better in coverage, but you won't get 16 games out of him either.

Did we overpay? Maybe. Hard to say for sure right now. Given the age difference between the two, I think right now we made the right decision.

It's certainly fair to question Hall's contract.

But it's funny that the Skins are still criticized for going after old big-name players (which is mostly still people pretending that the moves of 7 or 8 years ago are the same philosophy the team uses now), but when the team lets go of an injury prone 34 year old to hold on to a 25 year old, suddenly people search for a way to claim the 34 year old might have been "better" so they can rip us anyway.

It's certainly fair to question Hall's contract.

But it's funny that the Skins are still criticized for going after old big-name players (which is mostly still people pretending that the moves of 7 or 8 years ago are the same philosophy the team uses now), but when the team lets go of an injury prone 34 year old to hold on to a 25 year old, suddenly people search for a way to claim the 34 year old might have been "better" so they can rip us anyway.

That's a good point. My concern is simply what the market value for Hall was exactly. I think we might have overpaid and unecessarily so. Teams were wary of Hall and that should have worked a bit more in our favor IMO.

If the Skins win they will look like geniuses. The Skins are about to prove that the road to the playoffs goes through FA ... or stated otherwise, the Draft sucks and is grossly over-hyped to appeal to the ESPN crowd.

That theory has been disproven time and time again.

Well, if Hall stays in line, which is fair to question given his past, the Redskins' defense should be even better than fourth in the league this year. Hell, depending on what we actually have as a rotation next to AH on the line, we could feasibly be looking at the #1defense this year.

The Scary part is our offense. And, despite our record in the first half of the season, if the defense is winning games DESPITE our offense, we better get some changes.

That's a good point. My concern is simply what the market value for Hall was exactly. I think we might have overpaid and unecessarily so. Teams were wary of Hall and that should have worked a bit more in our favor IMO.

CBs always get big money and Hall would have been th ebest on the market, especially considering age. Teams were going to thrwo big money at him as soon as FA opened without a doubt.

I still think we overpaid, but not by as much as some people seem to think.

Yeah I know it's a gamble. Last time DeAngelo got big money like this, he disappointed on the field. But the 'Skins situation is so much different than Oakland.

Here we play a scheme condicive to his talents, we have clear leaders in the locker room, and most importantly:

DHall WANTS TO BE HERE.

I think we made the right move on this, 100% (which is rarely something i can say about my team) and I think Hall will be exciting throughout a long career with the Redskins.

Yes, teams may have been wary of Hall; but, in reality, he was on two horrendously dysfunctional teams in the Falcons and the Raiders. This may explain his antics a bit. We have much better leadership in the locker room and you saw that when he got here. He was a team player. Some people may claim that was solely in the interest of getting a long-term contract (and maybe it was), but I'd prefer to look at his performance last year and base my judgment of him on that.

:logo:

Yeah, we toooootally over paid for a borderline elite starting cornerback...

Everyone knows that they are a dime a dozen, and usually never command hefty contracts on the open market...

We should have let him test free agency and then signed him to the 6-year $1 million dollars a year that starting borderline elite cornerbacks usually get paid in this league...

People are retarded... They just want to hate. Our defense just got a lot younger (wynn and daniels aside) at the expense of two very expensive unreliable malcontents...

We were a top 5 defense that just got younger and a lot better by losing two guys that really didn't contribute a whole lot... People need to give credit where credit is due and our FO did a good job with those two signings...

I guess will see this year won't we. My question is if Hall pans out is he going to write a article stating How wrong he was???, On Haynesworth and Dockery we owe NOBODY a thank you. So easy to state what he has with alot of teams in the NFL. Wake up and smell the coffee happens every year.

Get the facts straight! I like how the article makes it sound like we lost Jason Taylor because we couldnt afford to keep him because of our terrible spending on Hall and Albert. We had Taylor locked up we let him go because of the workout clause. Just another hater trying to use the same old money issue with the redskins.

Yeah, we toooootally over paid for a borderline elite starting cornerback...

Everyone knows that they are a dime a dozen, and usually never command hefty contracts on the open market...

We should have let him test free agency and then signed him to the 6-year $1 million dollars a year that starting borderline elite cornerbacks usually get paid in this league...

People are retarded... They just want to hate. Our defense just got a lot younger (wynn and daniels aside) at the expense of two very expensive unreliable malcontents...

We were a top 5 defense that just got younger and a lot better by losing two guys that really didn't contribute a whole lot... People need to give credit where credit is due and our FO did a good job with those two signings...

Starting cornerbacks are definitely not a dime a dozen. Why have we had a corner shuffle going on since we traded Champ Bailey? Elite corners are very hard to find. Average guys who get burned twice a game like Smoot ARE a dime a dozen.

Starting cornerbacks are definitely not a dime a dozen. Why have we had a corner shuffle going on since we traded Champ Bailey? Elite corners are very hard to find. Average guys who get burned twice a game like Smoot ARE a dime a dozen.

I think you need to check the batteries in your sarcasm detector.

Lets have a more realistic scenario.

Five games in, Jason Taylor hasn't got a sack because our coaches still stubborning keep him out of position. He FINALLY gets to the QB and causes some pressure as the QB throws, which unfortunately bounces off the gloves of Carlos "Stone Hands" Rodgers who is filling in for Spring's, who has a hurt pinky and had to sit out for 7 games.

this line is so funny, Taylor was not one of our established talents last year, he was a huge disappointment.

I agree. This was an obvious slap by the writer. He is dead wrong. Springs cap number and salary was crazy vs. his amount of time on the field. Taylor had a very small impact at the end of the season, so how was either of these guys considered established is beyond me. Established in the trainers room maybe, but not on the field.

Let's see how many games Springs actually plays in NE.

If you count players that were starters last year, then we got a lot younger by THREE moves not TWO.

Everybody is talking about letting Springs go and letting Jason Taylor go, and yes that moves our average age down a bit from guys who were playing last season, but also remember Marcus Washington played a few games last season and he is also gone.

There were a couple of games in which all three of those guys started and are now gone. Of course Wynn and Daniels replace Taylor but, although age is not an advantage here, at least we can now stuff the run on our left side instead of having people run all over us.

I'm getting so tired of my Skins getting bashed for the DHall signing...We guaranteed him $23mil and he has said and Vinny said that the Patriots wanted to sign him and that they were going to offer him upwards of $20mil guaranteed to sign...

If the Pats would have signed him they'd be getting rave reviews for getting a 25yr old, athletic, ball-hawking shut down CB, that has matured, and that you can't put premium on that...:rolleyes:

Archived