Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did we already have a Albert Haynesworth type of player?

wilco_holland

With Haynesworth and Griffin we're now five deep at DT so I don't know if Alexander will spend much time there. Though I wonder if maybe we'll have him work on the OL some like in 2007

Alexander needs to get some work at Center. He is heavier than Raybach and there simply aren't any other slots open on this team where here can play. But we REALLY need to groom somebody at Center.

HOW ABOUT WE GROOM HIM AT CENTER?

trust me. Monty is not going to get cut. In fact, he is very much like Big AL. Remember, a lot of people accused Big Al of taking plays off and disappearing furing his early years as well. Contract years have a way of bringing the best out in players and THIS is Montys contract year.

If Griffin is healthy then the Skins have the best defensive tackle squad in the NFL. (we just don't have any pass rushing defensive ends)

Well last year was his contract year and all he got was tendered at a 5th round level. How do you explain that?

Well last year was his contract year and all he got was tendered at a 5th round level. How do you explain that?

well, actually he was in a tender year. There was nothing he could do to become a BIG TIME free agent. Contract year is different than TENDER year.

As far as performance, I have no idea. You will have to discuss that with the coaching staff. The Skins had a top flight defense in many respects last season. NOBODY scored 30 points on them The defense was ranked high against the run. I didn't see people running all over Monty but I did see people running on Jason Taylor and scurrying around the end.

So I am not certain what you mean by "how do you explain that". What exactly is there to explain. His 2nd and 3rd year are almost exactly like Albert Haynesworths 2nd and 3rd years.

What exactly is there to explain????

I'm not sure if Monty has that much potential. But given his size and athletic ability - it's pretty rare for guys to be his size and that athletic. Someone posted a youtube video of him about a year ago chasing down a skill player and getting a group tackle. Unfortunately he can be so good one moment and then terrible the next (as stated about the difference in 07 and 08 seasons). If he ever gets motivated and plays like he did in 07 AND with that it would be natural to assume he can improve in technical areas and whatnot, he could become an stud. But as it stands with Griff and Haynesworth as the starters, Montgomery is the 4th DT in the rotation behind Golston. That's unacceptable for a guy like Golston to beat him out purely based on effort because Montgomery has much more athletic ability and a much better frame to be both a pass rusher and a run stuffer.

Personally, I thought Lorenzo Alexander had a great season last year and I hope we don't have to lose him in a numbers game, which is why I didn't want to sign both Wynn and Daniels. He is a hidden gem we picked up that shows as much enthusiasm and desire as anyone and has consistently gotten better on the field. I really like that guy and I'd much rather have a young hard worker like him with enough talent to play that is improving than someone like Wynn.

I think we have 3 good young tackles on the team in Monty, Goldston and Alexander that I would like to keep. Haynesworth could make these guys look like stars though and run the price up.

I cannot see it in Alexander. He is a great guy but not a star in making

Isn't he not that good at playing the 1-tech or 3-tech position or something like that?

Well he and Kedric Golston generally played at the one-technique. I don't know if that was out of necessity (due to the fact our defensive line's depth suck ass) or because that's what their skills are suited for, but if Montgomery remains there, he'll probably be playing to give Haynesworth a breather rather than playing alongside him.

I have seen a dip in Griffen's performance. I always have enjoyed Montgomery. He's a good player and just needs a bit more coaching. He will be a solid player here if not better. Along-side haynesworth he could be dominate. I think the Skins are very excited to have him back and to develop into a playmaker at DT for us.

I cannot see it in Alexander. He is a great guy but not a star in making

Not a star in the making but I think he may be one of the better 4th or 5th DTs that any team has in the NFL and certainly a good rotation player which is why I would love to hold on to him. Our top four guys are all big DTs and he just brings a little quickness to the unit when called upon.

I agree. At this point, though, they're not comparable.

Thats the issue he isnt comparing them right now. He is comparing both of their first 3 seasons. And they are pretty close.

I dont know how Montgomery is going to turn out but i think he can only improve with a DT like Albert here.

I dont know how Montgomery is going to turn out but i think he can only improve with a DT like Albert here.

ITA. He may not reach Haynesworth status but he is very solid.It would be awesome for this franchise if Monty and Haynesworth became a great tandem.For the next couple of years we could be SET at DT.It's been a longtime since we could say that.

I still don't know why Gholston was starting ahead of Montgomery. Even though he has supposedly regressed since 2007, Montgomery has always(2007-08) been great against the run. He also has been the only player that I've seen pushing back the pocket, and give something of a pass rush down the middle.

I hope its not a matter of him being in one of the coaches "doghouse." We've seen that before with Holdman>Arrington, ANYONE>Archuleta, etc. because Montgomery was much better than Gholston for the past two years.

I still don't know why Gholston was starting ahead of Montgomery. Even though he has supposedly regressed since 2007, Montgomery has always(2007-08) been great against the run. He also has been the only player that I've seen pushing back the pocket, and give something of a pass rush down the middle.
Montgomery had a broken hand.

In the earlier part of the season though, Kedric was outstanding in a few games and clearly outplayed Monty. Monty was horrible in a couple games. I remember Gholston dominating the Saints run game while Monty was getting abused.

He may not have been 100% though.

I hope its not a matter of him being in one of the coaches "doghouse." We've seen that before with Holdman>Arrington, ANYONE>Archuleta, etc. because Montgomery was much better than Gholston for the past two years.
No that's not the case. And Archuleta? Seriously? Is the guy even on an NFL roster anymore?

Build:

Both have the same height, 6'6'' and weight almost the same, Albert 320-Anthony 315

Mental game:

Both have/had qeustion marks about there work ethic, and both have a bit bad-ass image.

First 3 seasons/Stats:

Started almost the same amount of games in there first three seasons, Albert 24-Anthony 22.

(This is a genius one) There tackle stats:

Albert:

Albert made 98 total tackles in his first three season, 67 of them were solo tackles. That means that 68,36% of there tackles were solo.

Anthony:

Anthony made 74 total tackles in his first three season, 51 of them were solo tackles. That means that 68,91% of there tackles were solo.

In there first three seasons a career high of sacks and passes deflected:

Albert, 2.5 sacks (in his second season) and 4 PD (second season)

Anthony, 2 sacks (in his third season) and 4 PD (second season)

First I want to say that this was a nicely done post and I appreciate the time you put into it.

Now as far as your claims:

You'd be surprised how many DTs have put up numbers similar to Albert and Anthony. Many of them have gone on to become pro bowlerd, many have been seen as upcoming potential and signed massive contracts, and many never developed into anything. The thing is that for many schemes, DTs are not asked to get tackles or stats. They're asked to occupy linemen and free up space for the LBs to make tackeles. Is there a stat for that?

Even in Montgomery's best time in 2007, his main presence was as a force against the run. He wasn't collapsing the pocket or forcing centers to double team him (on pass plays). I've heard many people give many reasons as to why Carter got his sacks (Sean Taylor, Daniels, Montgomery, Griffin, etc). I tend to put the philosophy into it being mostly Daniels. Thats what we brought him for. He started doing it at the end of 2006, and continued it into 2007.

I have high hopes for Montgomery, but I can see him as more of a comparison to Kris Jenkis of the Jets or Marcus Stroud - both are really good run stuffers, and decent pass rushers. Thats the potential I see from Montgomery.

Exactly. Montgomery needs to be rotated with Griffin and Golston to be effective whereas AH is an ever down guy.

Montgomery may compare nicely to Haywood of the Wizards. He's a guy who was very inconsistent early in his career, but the rotation with Etan kinda made him better and he really became a legit center when Etan went down.

If we just give the job to Montgomery, then we'll probably be letting him get by on his BS work ethic. He needs to be in rotation and competition with the others until he shows the coaches that he deserves that job.

The real problem with this comparison is that the first few years of Haynesworth's career were largely disappointing. He had the potential to be elite, but didn't live up to his talents and played like a mediocre DT causing many people to label him as a bust. Saying Montgomery will be great because he has similar stats to Haynesworth in his most disappointing seasons is false logic.

Archived